Thread: Resistance Bands

Resistance Bands

Where do you buy yours from?

I was looking at this website

http://www.shapeupshop.com/bands_bal...cise_bands.htm

Just wondering where to go/not to go for this kind of stuff?

Which bands would be a good idea?

I was thinking of a set of 3/4" and 1" in the 9" wide series and a set of both of the 12" wide series. Is it worth getting the extra 3" for squatting or something?? Could I get along with just 9" bands???

Im looking at about 50$ total for 2 3/4" and 2 1" in the 9" series and then two of the 1/2 and two of the 3/4 in the 12" series.

Opinions???

So no one....

What do you plan on using them for? If you're looking for bands to add to the squat or bench try www.elitefts.com. I got mine from there or do a search for jumpstretch bands. Those are probably themost reliable bands to do accomodating resistance with.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I would look more to Elitefts and the Jump stretch bands myself. Those seem to be the gold standard as far as bands go, and what most if not all the top pl'ers use when they use bands. That being said the bands can get pricey so your milage may vary.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

After looking around Elitefts and being pissed off because I cant afford 1/10th of the stuff I want from that site I think I'm going to buy their band package. I know as of right now I have no need for the the heavy bands, but in as few as 2 years I could pulling 600+ so I see no reason not to.

Anyone have those bands, and comments on wether or not they would even be good for me to use at this point in the game? They also give you a book with the package that explains how to train with bands, but how often do/should you use bands?

I guess these are questions for those who already have them.

EDIT:

Oh and I may be selling my PS3, and am looking at a few other things from that site, namely the sled. Anyone have any input on their single sled they sell? I'll have to consult the gym owner weine though, I have a feeling he would have a stroke if I took the 45's outside to the parking lot.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 11-26-2006 at 02:16 AM.

I've got a mix of bands from both Jumpstretch as well as the Iron Woody ones from APTprowriststraps. Honestly I can't tell much of a difference at all.
    APT had some nice sales on big packages awhile back... I picked up the equivalent of the following (in pairs): minis, lights, averages, and strongs for about $100.
    Don't bother with the bands in the link you posted, they're too short to really be any use. I will say that I use the hell out of my bands though, and I can't believe I didn't start using some sooner.
    Also, I wouldn't bother buying a sled. Get an old tire, punch two holes through it, and thread a rope through. Then you can either buy a 45 and tuck it inside, or put a piece of plywood inside. Then you either use plates or build some sandbags and use those for weight.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Sounds good, I'll check those sites out and see what I can do.

So theres no such thing as over using bands in your workout?

Actually- for bench and squats you can definitely overuse them- they can beat up your shoulders pretty fast, so cycling them out after 2-3 weeks is a good idea. I tend to use them more often for things like band rows, face pulls, etc., as well as for some shoulder traction.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Get the light or mini-bands from elitefts.com You can use them for a lot of stretches, rehab/prehab work, and with exercises like squats, bench, deadlifts, GMs, etc. and if you don't abuse them, they should last you quite a while.
    Don't get the ones you had in your original post. They won't work for any barbell work at all (if that is what you had in mind).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I really only wanted the bands for your more conventional Big 3 lifts, and perhaps with the odd DB work here and there. I'll look into those lights and mini's.

The mini's rock Earl, Elite sent mine out with a band training manual. I'd look at a pair of mini's and just the lights for now, you can always pick up more later.