Thread: Computer Q Regarding Wireless Connection

Computer Q Regarding Wireless Connection

Well right now I'm in Cairns, Australia where I will be residing dor 4-5 months. Anyway the internet deal over here is incredibly lame.
    Basically internet connection over here is not anything like "unlimited bytes uploaded/downloaded per month" flat fee idea. People pay a certain amount of money per month for a specific amount of bytes transferred (ie 2-4 gigs/month).
    This **** is killing me. I'm always transferring stuff and 2 gigs is something that probably go through at least every week.
    Anyway the way it works is BigPond (a small part of the company "Telstra"), when you sign up, gives you this little wireless router/modem that picks up a signal and you then plug a wire (my roommate's computer that I'm typing on right now uses a USB rather than an ethernet) into the computer for internet access. The strange thing is that my laptop for some reason can't pick up the signal that the wireless router/modem can somehow pick up from Telstra/BigPond.
    What I was hoping is that somehow my laptop would be able to find the signal and leach off of it without having to pay. I can't stand not having a flat fee and basically I'm wondering if any of you guys have had to deal with this before and if you knew of a technique that just might help my find a way to leach off the networks (I'm assuming most Australians would never be able to pick up on a specific technique since they just aren't very internet-savvy). If any of you guys have any ideas let me know.

In the end all it'd take to satisfy me is to be able to get nearly unlimited access for a flat fee but I'm just not seeing that sort of deal anywhere.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

the kid from oz
    well first of all you probably shouldve done some research into the ISP you join. Bigpond being the worst of the worst, they are expensive and count uploads AND downloads to your montly total. You couldve got a better deal from another ISP with ADSL2+ (up too 24Mbps).
    You havent explained the situation very well but im going to assume you're on the bigpond wireless plan and from what i can gather they sent you a wireless router. Your laptop wont be able to pick up the signal directly from bigpond as they are directing it to your router. This means you have to use the wireless router as your wireless AP and set your IP configuration to automatic so the router gives you an IP address via DHCP.

In which case they will still be able to monitor your bandwidth useage. But seriously, unless your doing a TON of P2P I dont understand how in the whole world wide web you can use 2GB every weekend. I probably dont use 2GB over 4 months...

Yeah, stop trafficking illegal software and files!

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    In which case they will still be able to monitor your bandwidth useage. But seriously, unless your doing a TON of P2P I dont understand how in the whole world wide web you can use 2GB every weekend. I probably dont use 2GB over 4 months...
    Newsgroups can get you over that limit verrrrrry quickly

And what non copyright stuff can you get over a newsgroup thats that big??

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    And what non copyright stuff can you get over a newsgroup thats that big??
    Well, you've got me there.

Yeah well I think I'm over it. I'm not using BigPond for my computer in fact I'm not subscribed to anything yet. My roommate is though.

Anyway I'm over it, I'll curb the P2P habits for now. Australia's general internet connectivity is apalling (no offense to Australians).
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

the kid from oz
    yeah we all know it sucks

try this website http://bc.whirlpool.net.au they have a search option that allows you to search for suitble plans in your area. they also have a forum (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au) that is very very good for tech help
    Last edited by bigedge; 08-31-2006 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    (I'm assuming most Australians would never be able to pick up on a specific technique since they just aren't very internet-savvy).

*Cough* You signed up with BigPuddle....

I have unlimited on iinet.

dude have you beene xploring australia? no psp for me if im in another country like that. whatya doing over there guy?
    i bleed oil

"but seriously dude georgeous women reside everywhere, go look and ****" - BigCorey75

2GB each weekend is asking for a lawsuite lol.... T_T