Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: biceps triceps shoulders

Wannabebig Member

biceps triceps shoulders

I do 3 sets 8-10 reps each muscle (not very heavy weight) bec I am not bulking.

my question is is it ok if I workout tricpes,biceps,shoulders twice a week.

so say
    day1:legs
    day2: back,shoulders,biceps
    day3:rest(and cardio)
    day 4: triceps
    day5:rest (and cardio)
    day 6:chest
    day7:rest

so if i add triceps on day 1 and I add biceps and shoulders on day 6 is it overtraining?
    Last edited by Fat guy; 08-27-2006 at 10:21 AM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I do 3 sets 8-10 reps each muscle (not very heavy weight) bec I am not bulking.
    You work out the same whether you're bulking or not. And you especially want to lift heavy on a cut so you convince your body to hold onto your already existing muscle.

And that's a horrible routine. Take a look at this: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    thanks
    my routine has worked wonders for me, im not changing it.but thanks
    Last edited by Fat guy; 08-26-2006 at 09:18 PM.

If it's working for you, then that's good. What are the exercises that you are doing and what are the sets/reps for each?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-26-2006 at 09:20 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat guy
    so if i add triceps on day 1 and I add biceps and shoulders on day 4 is it overtraining?
    Yes.

Wannabebig Member
    so doing triceps twice a week is overtraining?

why?

some say u should do chest once a week bec its a big muscle it needs time to heal but trcieps and biceps etc... they do twice?

day1:legs
    day2: back,shoulders,biceps
    day3:rest(and cardio)
    day 4: triceps
    day5:rest (and cardio)
    day 6:chest
    day7:rest
    not really rest if youre doing cardio??.........are you cutting??....you really dont need cardio on your off day....hence..."off day"
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

give us the WHOLE scoop on what your goals are, what all your routines look like.

Generally speaking, its stupid to train tiny muscles like biceps and triceps 2-3 times a week with isolation moves. Why? THEY ARE TINY MUSCLES. You should never regularly devote more sets to small muscles vs. large muscle.

You might think your routine is working great for you, but if you'd post photos, I bet we'd all agree your chest and back are lagging behind your arm development.

Besides, working your chest properly with compound exercises...works the front delts and triceps. a lot of people can grow nice arms with almost zero isolation work. Isolation should be the icing on the cake...sometimes only the sprinkles on the icing. the cake itself should be pure, heavy, compound exercises with free weights.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by malkore
    give us the WHOLE scoop on what your goals are, what all your routines look like.

Generally speaking, its stupid to train tiny muscles like biceps and triceps 2-3 times a week with isolation moves. Why? THEY ARE TINY MUSCLES. You should never regularly devote more sets to small muscles vs. large muscle.

You might think your routine is working great for you, but if you'd post photos, I bet we'd all agree your chest and back are lagging behind your arm development.

Besides, working your chest properly with compound exercises...works the front delts and triceps. a lot of people can grow nice arms with almost zero isolation work. Isolation should be the icing on the cake...sometimes only the sprinkles on the icing. the cake itself should be pure, heavy, compound exercises with free weights.
    Great post.

thanks
    my routine has worked wonders for me, im not changing it.but thanks
    If your not willing to change your routine.. why even ask us if it looks ok?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    If your not willing to change your routine.. why even ask us if it looks ok?
    im looking to add stuff not change th entire thing thats what imeant dont take it as a disrespect

Wannabebig Member
    your chest and back are lagging behind your arm development.
    why would that happen? what do u mean?

So basically what you're saying is, as long as we tell you what you want to hear, you'll listen but you'll disregard any advice that you doesn't fit your current state of mind?

genetics.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    So basically what you're saying is, as long as we tell you what you want to hear, you'll listen but you'll disregard any advice that you doesn't fit your current state of mind?

no my workout is approved by a certified instructor, maybe u guys disagree with it bec i posted the general thing not specifics so i understand

i just need answers for some questions i have from experienced people on this forum

i know many people who do individual workout for biceps,triceps twice a week,so that confused me a bit and i though of adding them

say for biceps, i do inclined bicep curls(3 sets * 8 reps) a week,is that enough ?

there r other excercises for back where u r also working the biceps
    Last edited by Fat guy; 08-27-2006 at 02:24 PM.

If you want some solid advice, then listen up. If you had a certified instructor give you a workout, then stick with it.. eat right, lift hard, stay committed, and see where you end up in a couple of months. If you start to platue, THEN and only then you might want to make changes to your routine. One of the things that really hurts newbie lifters is a change in routine every week.

no my workout is approved by a certified instructor, maybe u guys disagree with it bec i posted the general thing not specifics so i understand
    Anybody can become a certified PT and many of them give horrible advice (but some give great advice). The phrase "get a second opinion" would apply here.

say for biceps, i do inclined bicep curls(3 sets * 8 reps) a week,is that enough ?
    If you're doing sufficient rowing/pulling machines like rows and chin ups, there isn't a need for direct bicep work. So if you're doing quite a few exercises for biceps, you need to eliminate some direct work and focus on your back.

And I would still like to see your full routine written out. If you want advice, write out your entire routine.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-27-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    ok i have 2 rotuines im going to write them both and copy them here

in the meantime i have a question

is this

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...SeatedRow.html

and this

the same excercise(whats the difference other than one is cable other is lever)

and is it lower back or general back

The point of that site is to give you your options for working different muscle groups. They work the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat guy
    ok i have 2 rotuines im going to write them both and copy them here

in the meantime i have a question

is this

and this

the same excercise(whats the difference other than one is cable other is lever)

and is it lower back or general back
    General back. It targets the back as a whole. And maybe with more emphasis on upper and middle back. If you want to hit your lower back and get it strong and thick, you need to start doing deadlifts, goodmornings and BB bent over rows.

Anyway, like some of the folks have mentioned here, its always nice to have a second opinion on matters/issues. Its quite an intelligent thing to do. And plus you mentioned that you have achieved some substancial gains with your routine. Thats actually great. But how long long have you been doing that routine? hows your diet like? What is your goal? lose body fat? if so, how much body fat have you ost? How many inches have you lost from your waist? see where I am getting at...It would be cool if you post more info regarding your routine, goals and etc so that people can give you more accurate pointers and whatnot. You feel me?
    stats:
    height:6'0
    weight: 240lbs
    BF%: about 12%
    Benchmarks-
    Bench press Max: 425lbs
    Squat Max: 515lbs
    Dead Lift Max: 585lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Day1: Squats 3x8
    straight leg deadlift 3x8
    leg curls 3x8
    seated calf raise 3x8
    hip abduction 3x8
    crunches 3x8

Day 2: lat pulldown 3x8
    low row 3x8
    biceps inclined 3x8
    lateral raises 3x8
    inclined reverse fly 3x8
    bridging
    side bridging

day 3: lunge walk 3x8
    dead lift 3x8
    calf raises 3x8
    hip abduction 3x8
    hip flexion 3x8
    oblique crunch
    low back extn

day 4: flat bench 3x8
    decline fly 3x8
    triceps dip 3x8
    internal rotation 3x8
    external rotation 3x8
    ball crunches 3x12
    low back extn

with this program i lost alot of weight,and started getting into shape and definition,taking into consideration of course good diet

i want to change some stuff. there are some things i like to substitute with other things. for example i like to change the triceps dip to tricpes extension for example. Also i hate doing deadlifts, i know u say they r a must, but i am not looking to become a world bodybuilder,i just want to get into shape and look good,so if there is another simple excercise for lower back i like to do it instead.

take this scnerio,for legs,if i only do one day and i only do leg curls,leg extension and seated calf raises. how will my legs look like,will they look weird?

i want to change some stuff in this program and here is where i need ur help
    Last edited by Fat guy; 08-27-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Also i hate doing deadlifts, i know u say they r a must, but i am not looking to become a world bodybuilder,i just want to get into shape and look good,so if there is another simple excercise for lower back i like to do it instead.
    Deadlifts are not going to turn you into arnold. If you are getting good results from this program, more power to you. BUT, I think me and most of the people that have responded to your posts feel that if you stick to the major compound lifts (bench, squats, etc) you could eliminate half of the items on that list, cut your time in the gym in half, and have the same results if not better.
    Last edited by ancom41; 08-27-2006 at 05:13 PM.

hip abduction 3x8
    These are completely useless and you're doing them more than once a week. You also don't need that much ab work. You work them out just like another other muscle group - 1-2 times a week.

with this program i lost alot of weight,and started getting into shape and definition,taking into consideration of course good diet
    That routine didn't help you lose weight. Your diet helped you lose weight. You can do any routine really and lose weight as long as you're burning more than you're taking in each day.

There are quite a few things you could eliminate from your routine.

You should read this and look at the theory behind it: BGB

Also i hate doing deadlifts, i know u say they r a must, but i am not looking to become a world bodybuilder,i just want to get into shape and look good,so if there is another simple excercise for lower back i like to do it instead.
    They're not just for the pros. Deadlifts work almost every muscle in the body and they force your body to grow as a whole. They will also strengthen your back better than other exercises. Don't start throwing stereotypes out there for certain lifts. It's just an exercise, and a very important one at that.

bridging
    side bridging
    What in the world are these?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-27-2006 at 05:16 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    Deadlifts are not going to turn you into arnold. If you are getting good results from this program, more power to you. BUT, I think me and most of the people that have responded to your posts feel that if you stick to the major lifts (bench, squats, etc) you could eliminate half of the items on that list, cut your time in the gym in half, and have the same results if not better.
    usually it takes me 45 minutes for each workout
    its fine
    here i need ur help i want to add the following to the routine but i dont know where to add them and if its necessary to add them

front raise(cable)
    rear lateral raise(dumbell)
    also i want to add pullovers
    lying tricpes extension(instead of the trcieps dip)
    inclined bench press
    cable ro-ov fly instead of the decline fly

also i have another question, about supersets, do supersets just help u if ur cutting or r for bulking(to build more muscle)

You don't need add anything. You really don't need to do this much work for each muscle group. Look at this routine ~> WBB Routine #1

Compare the volume with yours. Notice a difference?