Thread: Help w/ bloating & diet...

Help w/ bloating & diet...

I realize that this is a rather strange question, and so I apologize in advance.

Since the summer/fall of 2000, when I experienced severe depression, lost all desire to eat, and lost a significant portion of my body weight, I tend to feel bloated and/or fat after eating even moderately-sized meals. As irrational as it sounds, I almost feel as if I must immediately do something after eating in order to prevent the storage of the meal as fat. Currently, I'm trying to increase my LBM and am eating roughly 2400-2600 calories per day, which I know is not a large amount for a teenage male. Since I'm not gaining any weight, I know I need to eat more, yet I'm almost unable to do so. Any suggestions?

Re: Help w/ bloating & diet...

Originally posted by unev_en
    As irrational as it sounds, I almost feel as if I must immediately do something after eating in order to prevent the storage of the meal as fat.
    what are you saying here?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Simply that I never am hungry and have to force myself to eat.

I would like to know also how to prevent bloating alltogether. I think sometimes its specifically what I ate but I think it has more to do with air getting swallowed...

ok. just clarifying something.

have you consulted a doctor to find out if there are medical reasons for your anorexia? i figured out what mine was after the fact. the only advice i can give is to put yourself on an eating schedule, and make sure what you eat is light, healthy food. a massive amounf of anything when you play "catchup" will make you feel bloated, although i've found for me, carbs are the worst.

Thanks. I'm not sure if anorexia, except in the sense of lack of appetite, is the proper word; I have no fear of gaining weight, nor do I wish to lose any. I simply seem, pehaps due to my depression, to have lost my ability to detect hunger.

I've been on an eating schedule for some time, but it does not seem to help much; for example, I feel that way after eating a small, 550 cal. meal of a sweet potato and a 6 oz salmon filet.

actually i meant anorexia in the proper sense (lack of appetitie) not anorexia like anorexia nervosa. being the holistic that i am, I still think you should figure out what's causing the symptoms as opposed to explaining them away. In my case, the depression and anorexia were part of a metabolic dysfunction. i still think you should talk to a doctor about it.

and the sweet potato and salmon are a pretty bulky meal, btw. i can see why you feel bloated. a typical serving of meat or fish is 3-4 ozs so you are having twice that, and it's pretty high in fat, combined with a sweet potato which is bulky and high in sugars. so the bloat at least to me, makes sense, if it doesn't to these guys who normally eat this way.

trying paring back a bit to standard servings sizes of food...Ie. 1/2 cup rice, or 1/2 cup dry oats, 3-4 ozs protein, etc...start small and get used to it...and then you can move up a bit easier.

I realize that you mean anorexia in the proper sense and apologize for perhaps implying otherwise (I merely wanted to clarify the discussion for the benefit of others who may read it.)

For the most part, I seem to have overcome, through individual willpower and cognitive awareness (I did not seek therapy, primarily because I did not wish to reveal anything to my family,) my depression, although aspects of it, such as my self-concept and certain thought processes, are still present.

I've had some tests done, specifically with regard to thyroid and pituitary function, and they revealed nothing abnormal; the only endocrine problem I have is a clinically low serum testosterone level, for which I am currently taking exogenous T.

As for the meals, it is frustrating because I can remember when such things did not bother me, when I did not have this problem. I find it odd, though, that a meal of 550 cals, which is not large (11 g fat, 75 g carb, and 36 g protein, approx) would have such an effect; in the past, carbs have not affected me in such a way. The problem, I think, is as much psychological as it is physical; because I am not hungry, I interpret the eating as unnecessary, and thus feel uncomfortably bloated, etc...

mmm...that may be a possibility. so from a psychological stance, do you think smaller meals would help?

and do you ahve copies of the lab results from the tests you had done?

i would think the exogenous T would help mitigate the depression somewhat.

i would think the exogenous T would help mitigate the depression somewhat.
    I agree; I just wonder whether the testosterone deficiency caused the depression or visa versa. Chicken / egg. Oh well.

I do not have a copy of the lab results handy, although I could obtain them. My mother happens to be my doctor (neither she nor the endocrinologist saw anything abnormal with my thyriod / pituitary tests). What would you like to know?

TSH, Free T-4, along with the lab "normal range"

the reason, i'm curious is sometimes low test is a signifier of low thyroid, but it might be subtle enough that it got missed.

ideally, your TSH should be int he 1-2 range, and T-4 in the upper 3rd of the lab range. Depending on how your doctor, or Mom in this case, reads lab results, they might have missed something, if your levels fell within range, but not at "ideal" levels.

another which, since you've got leeway with mom being your doc, is umm...t-3 therapy to treat depression.....i find it an innovating strategy, unfortunately it's difficult to find docs who can or will treat that way.

Oh, regarding smaller meals...

I'm not sure if it would help; it seems it would be treating the symptoms without addressing the underlying cause of the problem, whatever that may be. As it is, I struggle to eat enough to maintain my meager weight (5'7'', 138lbs, and perpetually low bf%, possibly due to my food allergies.) I know that at some point I will have to eat larger meals, but I'm not sure i'll be able to do that.

yeah.....i was thinking that would be counter-productive as well, but if it at least gets you used to eating on a regular basis and get you appetitie used to it, perhaps in the long run it might have potential to help?

I don't really have any scientific advice for you or information really, but I couldn't just leave the thread without saying good luck

I hope you take care of everything.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Thanks for the replies and the support...

T-3 therapy? Interesting...I'm not sure if i'll be able to get a prescription for it, though, as that would necessitate revealing to my parents my problems. Given that my mom suffers from depression herself, and is the type of person who would immediately blame herself for the presence of the illness in me, I'm not sure it would be the best thing. Besides, I think I'm over it; either that, or the T has helped. I'm more concerned with the remaining psychological issues such as lack of hunger...I only eat, for example, in order to ensure that I have a good workout and that I grow.
    Last edited by unev_en; 02-04-2002 at 07:28 PM.

check out thyroid solutions by Dr. Arem. hav you mom read it too.

sometimes depression is purely organic and has nothign to dow ith emotional issues. the stigma causes more problems than necessary.

as for how to deal with the eating...ya gotta suck it up and do it, man. or deal with underlying issues first. one or the other.