The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Machines just as good as free weight?

http://thefitshow.com/week3/milos_chest_med.htm
    Somewhere in the 14 minute mark.. Milo mentions machines are just as good as free weight and its good to mix both... Your ideas?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    No, they're not as good as free weights and each serves their own purpose.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Occupational Hypnomania
    I think if your a pro body builder they have a place where in you can target very specific muscle groups, think its less usefull for normal people though who care less about total muscle balance. I forget where I got this from though.

I think if your a pro body builder they have a place where in you can target very specific muscle groups
    They only work out like that because they're on the juice. Arnold would always talk about "isolating different parts of the biceps" and crap like that. Oy...

I read his entire book and then realized how much BS is in there after doing some further research and then stumbling on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    No, they're not as good as free weights and each serves their own purpose.
    What purpose to machines serve exactly?

For exercises that can't be performed with free weights. Like cable machines and such.

the purpose is to keep some people off the freeweights and keep the freeweight open. =)

Occupational Hypnomania
    Are the cable ones considered machines? It doesnt really lock you into a precise range of motion Ive never thought of it as much of a machine in that sense.

if it has levers and pulleys, it's a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnip
    Are the cable ones considered machines? It doesnt really lock you into a precise range of motion Ive never thought of it as much of a machine in that sense.
    I don't like cables for anything because it just feels unnatural pulling from a certain direction...and you don't have to balance the weight at all.

Wannabebig Member
    cable machines are pretty stupid...they have like 20 pulleys on them then you get the walking paraplegics walking in and putting liek 120 on the cable machines and doing bicep curls and then saying theyre all strong and stuff...but when it comes to free weights they have trouble curling 40lbs....

ps. i call people who only go to the gym to workout thier chest and biceps EVERY SINGLE DAY a walking paraplegic because it looks like they just got out of a wheel chair--> tiny skinnly legs... and huge chest and arms...pathetic imo... like at the my high school gym theres 1 leg machine and like 20 benches and 30 curling bars and like 10 cable machines... not even a place for you to do deadlifts or squats....

I use a machine for pull-ups.

What? There's a pull up bar on the machine :P

Seriously though, the only thing I do use it for is tricep extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by stec04
    cable machines are pretty stupid...they have like 20 pulleys on them then you get the walking paraplegics walking in and putting liek 120 on the cable machines and doing bicep curls and then saying theyre all strong and stuff...but when it comes to free weights they have trouble curling 40lbs....

ps. i call people who only go to the gym to workout thier chest and biceps EVERY SINGLE DAY a walking paraplegic because it looks like they just got out of a wheel chair--> tiny skinnly legs... and huge chest and arms...pathetic imo... like at the my high school gym theres 1 leg machine and like 20 benches and 30 curling bars and like 10 cable machines... not even a place for you to do deadlifts or squats....
    Do you have a lot of anger in your life?

Occupational Hypnomania
    He sounds no different than alot of the people in this forum. They seem have alot of resentment for the curl jockey type.

Machines aren't specifically reserved for curl jockeys. But yes...I also hate curl jockeys.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-28-2006 at 01:23 AM.

IMO there isnt a body part a normal healthy person cannot work without touching machines (including pulleys and cables).

Glad I spent the money on a power rack for my home gym instead of a machine!
    Age 33
    Height 6'4"
    Weight 220lbs

British by birth, English by the grace of God.

That's not a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    the purpose is to keep some people off the freeweights and keep the freeweight open. =)

I am all for that baby yeah!!
    Long signatures SUCK.

~Nico