Thread: Question about BGB routine

Question about BGB routine

I am about the start the BGB routine but I have a question: On day one you do back work, including Bent-over rows 3x8 and optionally Hammer Rows, these are compounds but they do work the biceps. Then on day 2 you do isolation work for biceps - Seated alternating bicep curls 5x5 and Hammer curls 3x8-12, then on day 3 you do Biceps: indirect with pull-ups, chin-ups, pulldowns.
    When Built made the routine she said she does days 1 & 2 then a rest day then day 3. I'm wondering, for someone like me who has been lifting for 5 months is this too much for the biceps and does it give the biceps suffiecient rest?
    This also aspplies to triceps, there are two days on which the tris get indirect work, and one direct tri workout.
    Would it not be better for me to do the direct tricep workout on the same day as shoulders, so that there is only one direct and one indirect tricep workout in a week, instead of two indirect tricep workouts? And also what about putting the bicep isolation excercises on the same day as the bent over rows so that there is only one indirect bicep workout and not two.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by JConrad; 08-28-2006 at 12:43 PM.

Its hard to get on a routine that doesnt have any overlapping indirect work. Separating between push/pull days might help. None of your changes sound to far out there.. try them out.. see how you do.

I like the "frequent small hits" approach. That's why I designed it the way I did.

You can ditch the direct arm work entirely if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I like the "frequent small hits" approach. That's why I designed it the way I did.

You can ditch the direct arm work entirely if you like.
    Is the frequent small hits approach okay for a novice like me? And what do you think of my idea of doing only one indirect workout for biceps and triceps a week by putting the direct workouts on back and shoulders day? If the frequnt hits is okay for me I can try both and see which works best for me.
    Also, I notice that you have a mixture of strength and hypertrophy rep ranges for the same muscles, such as for biceps (Seated alternating bicep curls 5x5 & Hammer curls 3x8-12) I like the sound of this, what is the reason for this mix of rep ranges?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by JConrad; 08-28-2006 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JConrad
    Is the frequent small hits approach okay for a novice like me?
    Absolutely.

And what do you think of my idea of doing only one indirect workout for biceps and triceps a week by putting the direct workouts on back and shoulders day?
    Not my favourite way to train. Frequent small hits let you train the muscle more frequently. This is often better for growth.

If the frequnt hits is okay for me I can try both and see which works best for me.
    Also, I notice that you have a mixture of strength and hypertrophy rep ranges for the same muscles, such as for biceps (Seated alternating bicep curls 5x5 & Hammer curls 3x8-12) I like the sound of this, what is the reason for this mix of rep ranges?
    Thank you.
    Read the Hypertrophy Primer in the exercise forum. It's all explained in there - it has to do with stimulating sarcomere and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Thank you, I will take your advice and try your frequent small hits approach. You obviously know a lot more about musclular development than I do, plus I really like the routine and think it will be a lot of fun ( I'm sure I'll still be saying that the day after squat day, yeah right lol)
    Now I'm off to read the hypertrophy primer.
    Thanks again for the help,

Built, two quick questions, you suggest doing incline DB flyes as a third option, I prefer flat DB flyes, would this be ok instead of inclines?
    Also, on chest day you have Incline dumbbell press 3x8, are these low inclines with emphasis on chest, or high inclines emphasizing delts?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by JConrad; 08-28-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Built, two quick questions, you suggest doing incline DB flyes as a third option, I prefer flat DB flyes, would this be ok instead of inclines?
    Also, on chest day you have Incline dumbbell press 3x8, are these low inclines with emphasis on chest, or high inclines emphasizing delts?
    Thanks.
    Pick your individual (and especially, accessory) exercises as you see fit. I do more incline work because my shoulder doesn't like the flat stuff as much, and a lot of people find they get better development from inclines than from flat, but just as many people prefer flat. Pick what works with your body. If you're not sure - try it both ways and see which you prefer.

Thanks, I'll go with flats and low incline DB presses, emphasizing pecs (bearing in mind that there is a seperate day for shoulders).