The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant of the day

Wannabebig Member

Rant of the day

I train at my university's gym. There are two power racks, and by the grace of God today, both of them were occupied by friends alternating CURL sets.

At the very least, one group was nice enough to allow me to work in with them. I did six snatch singles, gave the rack back, and then I did six clean and jerk singles.

It just irked me that TWO power racks were being used for curling, and incorrect curling at that!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you shouldve done squats at the preacher curl spot.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Wouldn't be a bad place to do box / chair squats, actually...

Footballer
    I'd be afraid to do snatch and clean and jerk in a squat rack.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

You ask them to move, when they dont you move them... simple

My university gym doesn't allow "power lifts," by which of course they mean olympic lifts. Somebody got confused with their terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    you shouldve done squats at the preacher curl spot.
    lol maybe that'll teach them a lesson
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

"Success is a journey, not a destination."

9 times out of 10 if you ask them if they can curl somewhere else as you need the rack for an actual reason, they move. Move people just choose to be pissed off and wait around though until the curlers are done. Once you realize humans are stupid ****s you will be much better off.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Some dude was in the squat rack tonight with an EZ curl bar. I asked him if I could use the rack. He moved. I think he was just using the mirror, though he looked shocked or something that I was actually going to use the rack, lol.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig&sexy Member
    Huntsville (Northwest)/Russellville, Arkansas
    I was threatened with being kicked out of my university gym for doing ATF Squats today...
    Personal Stats
    Bench - 315 lb's @ 1x1
    Deadlift - 365 lb's @ 3 x 5
    Squat - 255 lb's @ 5 x 5
    Fitday

Living well is the Best revenge.

Currently cutting

Wannabebig&sexy Member
    Huntsville (Northwest)/Russellville, Arkansas
    On a smith machine, no less, because they don't have a power rack...
    Personal Stats
    Bench - 315 lb's @ 1x1
    Deadlift - 365 lb's @ 3 x 5
    Squat - 255 lb's @ 5 x 5
    Fitday

Living well is the Best revenge.

Currently cutting

Yes. You SHOULD be kicked out for doing a normal exercise. Why are people so ****ing ignorant?

I'll probably get thrown out of my U in a week once I start lifting there this year. At least they know me at my local YMCA so they let me drop whatever I want and do whatever.

I have had run-ins with just about everyone at UC's rec, including the very top, top dogs.

This actually developed into somewhat of a healthy relationship and it helps get things that I want. There's really only one reason that we now have a seated calf machine, hehe

You kind of have to be a hard ass and draw the line letting them know you aren't going to take their ****, but then be respectful and converse maturally when they approach what they don't like.

On Saturday I had my bag out on the floor. The floor supervisor walked by, looked straight at it, and then started harrassing my buddy about his. No one said a word about mine.

So ye..... I am kinda rambling.

anyway
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 08-30-2006 at 01:59 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRic
    I'd be afraid to do snatch and clean and jerk in a squat rack.
    The gym is being renovated and is supposed to have a room with Olympic platforms.

The base of the power rack places the bar at the same height of a bar loaded with 45 pound plates. I can only snatch the bar and clean and jerk a little bit more, so that's why I use a power rack (nonexistent platform aside).

I hate how people look at me as an ******* when I correct their form. I never criticize the weight anyone can lift but their form is important. I correct them as others did to me, it how you learn.

My friend Matt was doing 315 pound squats, not even going parallel because his baseball coach said "only catchers need to go that low" and he is a pitcher. I told him to tell his coach he is wrong and I said so.

Quote Originally Posted by gains2385
    I was threatened with being kicked out of my university gym for doing ATF Squats today...

stupid question..but whats an atf squat?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Gamer/Lifter
    ATF all the way to the floor

My gym has a few power lifters in it. So heh I don't got that issue, but if a gym ever told me to not to do squats, i'd be like heh, **** you.

I hate how people look at me as an ******* when I correct their form. I never criticize the weight anyone can lift but their form is important. I correct them as others did to me, it how you learn.

My friend Matt was doing 315 pound squats, not even going parallel because his baseball coach said "only catchers need to go that low" and he is a pitcher. I told him to tell his coach he is wrong and I said so.
    If a comment on the weight your lifting I will say somthing postive saying negative stuff about someone that lifts lighter then you is bad. Telling them they got terriable form is OK. I have corrected poeple on their form before they don't wanna listen.
    Last edited by Nik00117; 08-30-2006 at 10:42 AM.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by McVein
    stupid question..but whats an atf squat?????
    Ass To Floor Squat.

A gym telling you that you cannot do ATF squats is plain out of line. You do not have any negative effects on the equipment and seriously, whats the ROM have anything to do with it??? Whats next, no full ROM benchpresses??

I would have seriously raised hell on that one, what gives them that nerve?!?!?!?!?!

Banned
    yeah...I encounter this same problem at my gym too, I just tell them I need the rack and they need to move. **** asking.

At our rec there really isn't any other place to do curls with a straight bar except in the squat/power racks.
    Last edited by HahnB; 08-30-2006 at 07:07 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    Yea I'm not a fan of those doing exercises like curls in the squat racks although most people unless they're absolute tards will most of the time give up the space if you ask them.

my gym is full of old ladies who never use weights. so i can do whatever I want in the racks.

I'm only guilty of misuse when I do standing BB presses in the rack.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Banned

That's why I bought my own gym

Created my own gym in my basement. Couldn't afford it but did it anyway. I like to train intensely and I don't want anyone interfering with my supersets or ability to move along at a fast pace.

I don't want to be stared at too as I love to grunt and HOOUUUAHHH as I hoist the weights and blast SWEET HOME ALABAMA!.

I work out when I want and use whatever I want. Period.

Time for my third protein feeding. Had my eggs, then my tuna. Now it's cottage cheese time. Later.