Thread: Oh the pain!

Oh the pain!

G'day all, I'm hoping to get some advice. I've been suffering from lower back pain/sciatica for well over a month. Lately the lower back feels much better but I still have the pain on my left "cheek", running down the back of my knee to my calf. Sitting absolutely kills. I've done some research on my own and looked into piriformis syndrome. I've been doing some stretching, ice therapy and taking ibuprofen. Some times the pain is terrible.

My question are;
    -am I on the right track with what I've been doing?
    -I have a doctor appointment next week but he's an idiot (impossible to get another doc). Shoulkd I keep the appointment or seek out a physiotherapist?
    -anything else you can suggest?
    Thanks

*requisite mocking of MIK*
    OMG
    You broke your ass...you broke your ass...you BROKE YOUR A55 SUXOR!!!
    OMG
    *end requisite mocking of MIK*

In all seriousness the same thing happened to me. I actually tore my piriformis. First thing you might have to do is carry your wallet up front. You'd be surprised how much that irritates it.
    Second is ice it and stretch it like you've been doing. Try a figure four stretch. That worked miracles for me.

Get an "ass ball"...at least that's what my mom called it when she told my sis to step away from the tennis ball. Get a regular tennis ball and roll your but on it over the affected area. This works wonders...it's kind of like self presure point therapy. I did that for about 10-15 minutes a day...sometimes multiple times.

Finally, if that doesn't work go and see a sports doc and ask him to sign you up for PT. This is what I eventually ended up doing to get over the hump. This involved getting a corticosteroid electrocuted into my butt via a process called iontophoresis. It tingles and makes you feel funny. Afterwards I'd get a warm deep tissue rub on teh affected cheek and on to a series of stretches and leg work.

3 weeks later I was pain free for the first time in over 5 months, so yes, I advocate all of the humiliation mooning half the PT staff may have involved.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

LOL. It ain't broke just cracked!
    I never carry my wallet so I know that's not it.
    Thanks for the info ec!
    Should I scrap the doc appointment for now, try the assball and maybe go to a sports doc?

Thanks again.

bottom line is that sciatica or a busted piriformis hurt a lot and generally suck things I can't post in this forum. If you have the time and money, yes, go to the doctor and see what he/she tells you. If you can skip the GP and go straight to the sports doc that's even better. I lucked out. My sports doc worked with tim duncan and david robinson and was an avid athlete himself. He knew how much it sucked to be out of commission and put me back in the game as quickly as possible. He also knew of the best pain meds LOL.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

A'ight, thanks ec!

Assball sounds like a game you'd enjoy, joto.

Mik - do you go to a chiro at all?

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    Assball sounds like a game you'd enjoy, joto.

Mik - do you go to a chiro at all?
    LOL @ assball.

I've been in the past when I had a compressed disk and sciatic impingement. I got absolutely nothing out of it. I quit going, got me some good ole NSAIDs and did some light lifting and stretching which made Mike a happy boy.

I'm sure there are good chiros out there. The trouble is finding one and with my history I don't think I'll entertain that route. Maybe I need a cute Asian girl to walk across my back. Know anyone?

BURN!

Anyhow, yeah...I had success with a chiro doing decompression therapy, but I'm sure you could hang from a chinup bar with weights on your hips and it'd help.

The problem with chiros for me is that there are so many and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone I've talked to as to who is worth seeing. So yeah, maybe I'll just hang!
    Last edited by Mik; 08-30-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Xian, do you still go to one?

I've not been to one for a while because I look for someone who does A.R.T. and uses a ProAdjuster.

Art?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    Art?
    It's what happens to Gal when his chiropracter get's an "assball"
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

Active Release Therapy

Gotcha. Gonna book an appt. with a sports doc today and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    First thing you might have to do is carry your wallet up front. You'd be surprised how much that irritates it.
    That is solid advice that's often not given. I've had some lumbar disc issues in the past as well. It's amazing how I can irritate my back just by sitting on my Castanza-sized wallet during a long road trip.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    It tingles and makes you feel funny.
    Sorry Ec, but this was just hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    Sorry Ec, but this was just hilarious
    no apologies needed. LOL.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorcut
    That is solid advice that's often not given. I've had some lumbar disc issues in the past as well. It's amazing how I can irritate my back just by sitting on my Castanza-sized wallet during a long road trip.
    I've never understood how anyone finds carrying a wallet in their back pocket comfortable. I'll leave further discussions of this for a possible wallet thread in GenChat but just thinking about it- you would move objects off your chair before sitting down... why would anyone deliberately sit on their wallet? This is one of the most asinine habits I've ever witnessed.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."