Thread: Newbie Question?

6'-4" 200lbs. (skinny)

Newbie Question?

First off, I’m 41 years old male, 6’-4” and weight 200lbs. smoker for 20 years and have started to exercise for about a month now and seeing results. Before I get stoned to death by the lynch mob, I’m taking the patch and finally ready to quit this bad habit along with a little help from the nagging wife. LOL. I’m currently taking “All The Whey Brand Protein Isolate” & “EAS Phosphagen HP Creatine” for about a week now. Ok, now you know my story here’s the question, Is the three day routines enough to show real results or should I be bench pressing and such more than once a week? Thanks to all.

3 day routine is ambiguous. That could mean any number of things. What exactly is your routine?

If by three day routines, you mean 3 times a week (example, Mon/Wed/Fri), then it is enough. If you lift heavy, your body will need plenty of rest in between days. Check some routines posted on this site, or even Starting Strength. There are some great 3-day split routines!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

6'-4" 200lbs. (skinny)
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    3 day routine is ambiguous. That could mean any number of things. What exactly is your routine?
    Yeah what nockits said, sorry I didn't clairify. Ok, so working out your chest once a week is OK? I've been following the workout schedule on here pretty close. Thanks.

yes, depending on the routine, it will have you do you chest either once, or twice a week, but that should be fine.
    Check out my Journal!

I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

you're still not being clear on your routine, which doesn't allow anybody to help you as well as they could.

Why don't you write down your routine?

For instance, if you follow starting strength's 3 day routine on alternating weeks you will be benching twice (alternating with weeks of OH Pressing twice).

6'-4" 200lbs. (skinny)
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    you're still not being clear on your routine, which doesn't allow anybody to help you as well as they could.

Why don't you write down your routine?

For instance, if you follow starting strength's 3 day routine on alternating weeks you will be benching twice (alternating with weeks of OH Pressing twice).

Monday

Chest Exercises
    Incline Dumbbell or Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    Flat Dumbbell or Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    Dumbbell Flies (2 sets)

Triceps
    Decline Tricep Extensions or French Curls (3 sets)
    Tricep Cable Pull Downs (3 sets)

Wednesday

Leg Exercises
    Squats (3 Sets)
    Leg Extensions
    Hamstring Curls
    Stiff-Leg Deadlifts (3 sets)

Back Exercises
    Bent-Over Barbell Rows (3 sets)
    Deadlifts (3 sets)
    Cable Pull-Downs

Friday

Shoulder Exercises
    Barbell or dumbbell shoulder press (2 sets)
    Dumbbell lateral raise (2 sets)
    Upright Rows (2 sets)

Bicep Exercises
    Dumbbell bicep curls (2 sets)
    Incline dumbbell curls (2 sets)
    Hammer Curls (2 sets)

If I were you, I'd hit each bodypart more than once a week. I'd look into something like Starting Strength.

The routine you have now is not absolutely terrible, but it's certainly not ideal. I would cut out at least three isolation lifts from each day. I would also drop the SLDLs. You're not going to have any kind of intensity left for your deadlifts if you are squatting and SLDLing first. If you'd like, you could alternate DLs and SLDLs from week to week.

But again, something like SS would be a better choice.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Agreed, this routine isn't bad, just not optimal. Look into Starting Strength.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

6'-4" 200lbs. (skinny)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    If I were you, I'd hit each bodypart more than once a week. I'd look into something like Starting Strength.

The routine you have now is not absolutely terrible, but it's certainly not ideal. I would cut out at least three isolation lifts from each day. I would also drop the SLDLs. You're not going to have any kind of intensity left for your deadlifts if you are squatting and SLDLing first. If you'd like, you could alternate DLs and SLDLs from week to week.

But again, something like SS would be a better choice.
    OK what's the "Starting Strength"? And what's the SLDLs & DLs? See I told you I was a . I really appreciate all your help.

Starting Strength is a book written by Mark Rippetoe (sp?). He created a routine, which is extremely simple, yet effective, which a lot of people use (including me!). If I were you, I would order this book from Amazon, or some other place, and read it from beginning to end. This will answer pretty much any question you ever needed to ask, and you'll be one step further in your quest to become a bodybuilder.

SLDLs = straight leg deadlifts
    DLs = deadlifts
    Check out my Journal!

Wannabebig Member
    3 days workout is very less. You need to follow 6 day a week routine for maximum strength.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kalbishop1234 View Post
    3 days workout is very less. You need to follow 6 day a week routine for maximum strength.
    Don't give advice if you have no idea what you're talking about. It makes you seem stupid.

this is not the way to go. any workout that has you in the gym more than 4 times a week is questionable.
    Check out my Journal!

6'-4" 200lbs. (skinny)

Don't think I would have time even if I was to try this? Six days a week seems too much, I mean when would your muscles have time to recover and rest??

Quote Originally Posted by VW-Head View Post
    Don't think I would have time even if I was to try this? Six days a week seems too much, I mean when would your muscles have time to recover and rest??
    there you go, now you're getting it!
    Check out my Journal!

6'-4" 200lbs. (skinny)
    Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    there you go, now you're getting it!

Yeah I'm a fast learner but I'll still make mistakes along the way but practice makes perfect...or so they say?