The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Strongman Comp in the News

Here's a little story that was done by the local news team on a Strongman Comp that I went to a few months back. Was a good time. I know all those guys and have trained with most of them! Note the "Illini Powerlifting" t-shirts (my PL team). I plan on competing in it next year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncDSGOOlkrQ
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Very cool! Was there more events than the two shown? Or maybe I didn't watch closely enough??
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Oops, I forgot the farmers walk. So 3.

There was the farmer's walk, 18" deadlift, log clean and press, and tire flip/sled drag, so four events.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Awesome, what were the numbers put up by the winners?

There were two classes. The highest in the 18" deadlift was 650lbs for the lightweight winner (Under 220 lbs) and 700lbs for the heavyweight winner. For the farmer's walk, they used 165lb implements. It was judged on distance walked but I don't remember the distance. For the log clean and press, the lightweights used a 185lb log and the winner did it for 15 reps. Fort he heavyweights they used a 205lb log and the winner did it for 13 reps. The tire flip/sled drag was done on the same course as the farmer's walk and they flipped a 550lb tire (3 times for the lightweights, 4 times for the heavies), and then dragged a 250 lb sled about 50 ft on concrete. I think teh lighweight winner did it in about 35 seconds and the heavyweight winner did it in about 32 seconds. There was a also a teen division but it only had one contestant, and a women's division with 2 women, but they used lighter weights and I don't remember all the results except for the deadlift the teen guy got 450 lbs and the best woman got 350 lbs.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    There were two classes. The highest in the 18" deadlift was 650lbs for the lightweight winner (Under 220 lbs) and 700lbs for the heavyweight winner. For the farmer's walk, they used 165lb implements. It was judged on distance walked but I don't remember the distance. For the log clean and press, the lightweights used a 185lb log and the winner did it for 15 reps. Fort he heavyweights they used a 205lb log and the winner did it for 13 reps. The tire flip/sled drag was done on the same course as the farmer's walk and they flipped a 550lb tire (3 times for the lightweights, 4 times for the heavies), and then dragged a 250 lb sled about 50 ft on concrete. I think teh lighweight winner did it in about 35 seconds and the heavyweight winner did it in about 32 seconds. There was a also a teen division but it only had one contestant, and a women's division with 2 women, but they used lighter weights and I don't remember all the results except for the deadlift the teen guy got 450 lbs and the best woman got 350 lbs.
    650 was the highest for under-220? Wow. When I did Xenia in June, Steve Reynolds was in the under-175 class and pulled 700. The best by the HWs was a 900, all the plates ended up falling off after lockout though because there was way too many on there. Some strong boys at that one though.

Some good pressing with the logs, farmer's was probably pretty good too. That's a really light medley though, especially for a HW flipping a 550 tire.

Cool stuff.
    Last edited by Dinosaur; 09-03-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks for posting that Ryan.The weights were kept light so more people could compete. This was a small meet and just for fun so nothing to crazy. Both the winners in the deadlift had much more in the tank but saved some for the rest of the event (it was about 100 out that day). The farmers walk was light and will be heavier next time for sure. the logs were ok for most the really good pressers were able to do a bunch but most guys were pretty close. The HW log winner did I think 21 and the 2nd place did 10. The tire was light but because it was a bigger tire size it makes it tuff to flip. It is easier to flip a smaller heavier tire.

Here is a vid of the HW log press winner and overall winner Lee Mateer http://media.putfile.com/Leelogpress

Wayne
    Last edited by waynedang; 09-14-2006 at 10:49 AM.
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com