The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Banned KingJustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,025

    Comp Tech Question

    Hey ...
    I just got a new computer because my old motherboard failed on me.

    I took the old hard drive out and got a little thing to make it an external hard drive.

    I wanted to access my old "My Documents" folder. But, I can't. It says access to that direcory is denied (I'm assuming it doesn't think I have administrator privelages or something). My whole file system is in-tact, etc. How can I get through to this folder? Thanks.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member kad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    824
    I'd wager you had selected the "make documents private" or whatever option it is in the user account control panel when you had your old system up and running. I'm not quite sure since I don't have a Windows machine near me, but since you have administrator access, you might be able to right click the folder, hit properties, and adjust ownership and permissions from there. Hope this helps.

  4. #3
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin
    Hey ...
    I just got a new computer because my old motherboard failed on me.

    I took the old hard drive out and got a little thing to make it an external hard drive.

    I wanted to access my old "My Documents" folder. But, I can't. It says access to that direcory is denied (I'm assuming it doesn't think I have administrator privelages or something). My whole file system is in-tact, etc. How can I get through to this folder? Thanks.
    Okay so you have a new computer. This "little thing" I take it is an enclosure to make it external (usb or firewire). Since its not an active OS disk you shouldnt have to worry about premissions and all that jazz... you should be able to navagite to it and then do what you need to do. Try renaming the folder to something else if you can.

    The only other thing I can think is that the install of your old OS got hosed.

  5. #4
    Senior Member CBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin
    Hey ...
    I just got a new computer because my old motherboard failed on me.

    I took the old hard drive out and got a little thing to make it an external hard drive.

    I wanted to access my old "My Documents" folder. But, I can't. It says access to that direcory is denied (I'm assuming it doesn't think I have administrator privelages or something). My whole file system is in-tact, etc. How can I get through to this folder? Thanks.
    I believe it's going to be an owernship issue. Try doing this:

    1) Right-click the folder(s)

    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

    4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

    5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?



    This is all going under the assumption you're using windows XP

  6. #5
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,844
    i agree. i bet he's accessing the folder with the new computer, but he's coming in to the old HD as a secondary user, instead of the main account. he may not even be logged into windows on the old HD.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  7. #6
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,844
    after rereading cbates' post, it's clear he knows what he's talking about and i'm just blowing smoke.

    his stuff sounds feasible, though.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  8. #7
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    i agree. i bet he's accessing the folder with the new computer, but he's coming in to the old HD as a secondary user, instead of the main account. he may not even be logged into windows on the old HD.
    I dont think you can log onto other windows installs??? Other then the active install???

  9. #8
    Senior Member kad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    I dont think you can log onto other windows installs??? Other then the active install???
    What he could also do is reboot with the external hard drive connected, change the BIOS settings so it boots first, and boot back into the old windows installation off that drive. This should work since windows is supposedly still installed on the old drive. Then plug in a usb thumbdrive, back up the My Documents folder, restart, revert the BIOS settings, and boot back into the new windows installation. Copy files back from the usb thumbdrive, and voila.

  10. #9
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,844
    whamo! good idea!
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  11. #10
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    What he could also do is reboot with the external hard drive connected, change the BIOS settings so it boots first, and boot back into the old windows installation off that drive. This should work since windows is supposedly still installed on the old drive. Then plug in a usb thumbdrive, back up the My Documents folder, restart, revert the BIOS settings, and boot back into the new windows installation. Copy files back from the usb thumbdrive, and voila.

    I never knew you could boot an OS over USB???? I thought that would be atleast until vista....

    Why would he need a thumb drive, he could just copy the files to the other windows disk just to the hard drive itself and then move it into my documents or whereever once hes using that drive as the OS disk again.

  12. #11
    Senior Member CBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    I never knew you could boot an OS over USB???? I thought that would be atleast until vista....

    Why would he need a thumb drive, he could just copy the files to the other windows disk just to the hard drive itself and then move it into my documents or whereever once hes using that drive as the OS disk again.
    I'm pretty sure you're right that he can't boot from it since it's hooked into the USB port. I'm not sure if I know any motherboards that can boot from USB, but I haven't been in the market for a motherboard in awhile, so I could be wrong.

  13. #12
    System's BiAtch! _8_Ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    955
    ya, the one ones can boot to USB.

    Justin, did you encrypt the files via windows right-click functionality?

    8

  14. #13
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    that would only work if he bought a third party encryption utility or has windows xp pro

  15. #14
    Banned KingJustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,025
    Hey, thanks for the help guys. Right after I posted this I actually tried the "boot from external drive" technique and it failed miserably, haha.

    CBates, that's exactly what I was looking for. Works pefectly, thanks.

  16. #15
    System's BiAtch! _8_Ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    that would only work if he bought a third party encryption utility or has windows xp pro
    I know that... but you never know... :-)

    8

  17. #16
    Senior Member kad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    824
    Ah, well, glad you got it working. Most fairly recent systems I've seen have the option to boot from a USB device.

  18. #17
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Mine was just built in april and it doesnt.... my motherboard is a DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D and it doesnt do no such stuff...

  19. #18
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,191
    Cbates gets 150 points for the right answer.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •