Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meatless

Meatless

Well I'm a vegetarian and it gets hard sometimes to figure out what foods I can eat in good portions (not too much, too little) that will give me the macros I need. A lot of people are saying to eat chicken, tuna, and the like to get the required protein but since I can't have any of those it's difficult to get a high protien intake. I'm trying ot use whey (just recently bought vanilla nitrean) but it gives me stomach aches, makes me too full, and tastes horrible ...

So basically are there any easy foods that don't require cooking skills and meet protein, carb, fat requirements w/o having to eat so much of it?? Thanks..sorry if I sound too whiny. I'm not, just lazy and skinny heh.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.ph...n%2Cvegetarian

You need to acquire some "cooking skills"...
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-02-2006 at 05:09 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

ooh i was also wondering what effects whey would have on lactose intolerant people. would they be different?

scarz- thanks so much for the recipes . ill try to learn how to cook heeh.

check out TheGimp's journal in the journal section - he's vegetarian too

Hey man. Tofu, egg whites, and skim milk are great sources of protein.

Is it true that too much soy is bad?

teaturtle- I'm a semi-vegetarian (or vegetarian with poor conviction and lax morals- I eat fish and enything else from the water), and I don't have trouble pulling in 250 grams of protein daily. You won't need nearly that much.

I've heard that it's not great to have soy as your primary protein source, but I'm not certain that's the case.

With the whey protein- are you actually lactose intolerant or is there something else to the protein that's doing you wrong? Some whey proteins are purer and will have much less lactose included, so you could stick to those, but there are other options as well. I drink a lot of milk, so if it's not the lactose that bothers you then I would recommend that you do the same.

If you can find a protein shake that you like the taste of and that doesn't mess your stomach up, then that's a good place to start. Some other little snacks are natural peanut butter on whole wheat bread (a good quick snack with more protein than one would expect) and light string cheese (there's one brand that's 2.5g fat, <1g carbs, and 9g protein each).
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I am vegetarian and i get about 200-210g of protein a day. I eat fat free cottage cheese, shredded cheese (lowfat and fat free), yogurt, skim milk, almonds, walnuts, fat free cream cheese and of course whey protein shakes.

Lentils, black beans and other legumes have a decent amount of protein too, just have to watch your carb totals.

Well I know where I can get my protein but I can't eat enough of the stuff to get enough protein... that's the problem. Ive tried force feeding myself but that just ends up making me even fuller so I dont eat as many meals.

Wannabebig Member

Hey to all the Vegetarians out there

Hey everyone!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone My Name is Martin Im from Leicester in the UK, Im 26 Years old been Lacto Ovo Vegetarian Now for 22 years, gave up eating meat in infant school.

I have been training now for 6 years, 4 years seriously and have fluctuated my weight during that time. I too can relate to every single vegetarian in here who wishes to include more protein in their diet, im so amazed that i found this forum it basically has voiced what ive been battling with these last few years.

I am 6ft tall and 14 stone, on a good day benching 90kg (8 reps)

Im currently seeing results and am putting 100% into my training and diet so im gunna list my foods and suppliments ona typical day

When im loading ill eat

Breakfast: 3 scrambled egg/poached egg on toast(24g)
    Get to Work: Have a meal Bar from tescos (18g)
    11am: Have Dunn River Nurishment Drink (21g)
    1pm: Cheese Salad & Pot Noodle/Pot Pasta (30g)
    4pm: Multipower Ready made milkshake (50g)

Go to the Gym---------------------------------------
    7pm Home Made Blended Milkshake(40g)
    8pm Usual Dinner (rice, pasta or quorn)(20g)

That gives me about 1 gram of protein per lb of weight.

I also have invested in some creatine and Amino acid sups which i take daily when im loading.

At the moment in order to gain weight in a noticable fashion / timeframe you have to eat and drink and sleep alot.

Ive tried plenty of things being a vege and would love to get into this vege forum, so if there are any vege newbies out their needing advice or vetran vegies wanna give some feel free, its nice to know im not alone.

Cheers Fellas.

Martz

If you consume 2500 calories per day, and you need 150g of protein per day, that is 25% protein by calories.

So focus on foods that are at least 25% protein by calories. Nuts, cheeses, milk etc.

Try experimenting with different types of whey, and make a shake rather than drinking it straight. Milk, berries, almond butter and whey makes a great shake.

If you are lactose intolerant soy milk has very low isoflavone content. I used to drink a litre a day. Get the unsweetened stuff.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Wannabebig Member

Foods Can get boring after a week or two

Ive tried things like nuts, went out bought tons of um, it really doesnt ake long before you bored stiff of chowing down on them, plus nuts like beans give you farts from hell.

I am currently paying alot of money to keep me proteined up one way or another, fortunetly the supermarkets have these atkins shakes which ive found are great, they are like 1.50 ($2) each but they contain nearly 20 grams of protein to only 2 grams of carbs.

Designed to help larger people drop weight via the Atkins diet actually is a good thing for vegetarians wanting to get their protein fix, they also do them in Meal Replacement bars, Keep your eyes out for them guys they are gold.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hemants
    If you consume 2500 calories per day, and you need 150g of protein per day, that is 25% protein by calories.
    No you don't. You need 1.5 g / lb lbm of protein and 0.5 g / lb LBM of fat. The remaining calories can be whatever you want.

Banned
    You can try this vegan protein powder, found here: http://www.myvega.com/main.asp

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie_Mart
    The supermarkets have these atkins shakes.
    Wouldn't this contradict your lacto-ovo stance?

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    Wouldn't this contradict your lacto-ovo stance?
    How so?

I've heard of vega and almost bought it until I saw the price and the amount of protein,cals,carb (not too much in a serving).

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    How so?
    Looked it up. I had it backwards. I thought lacto meant no dairy.
    Last edited by Holto; 09-26-2006 at 04:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    The Atkins Shakes are still just milkshakes despite them being designed for the Atkins Diet. The Atkins diet basically is eating protein without carbs, working on the basis that if you eat protein without energy it mobalises energy stores (ie fat) thus losing weight. Like i said its just a milkshake. High in protein. Which for me is an excellent source.

Plus im a lacto ovo vegetarian im not a vegan. I do drink Milk, Eggs and other dairy.

Im always looking for new ways to inject some protein into my diet and right now im getting my 190grams a day, but its hard work, and can be expensive.

I have found a nice vegetarian power meal i try and have it after any big weight workout

Vegetarian 1/4 Pounders X 2 (20g each) (40g)
    Baked Beans & Vege Sausages (32g)
    Poached Eggs X 2(16g)

Thats 88 grams Protein in One Vegetarian Meal.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    The Atkins diet basically is eating protein without carbs
    If you mean zero carbs in the diet, then that would be wrong. If you're talking about carb timing, well that is something else entirely. The Suzanne Somers diet is similar to this. My mom is doing the SS diet and she's already lost over 10 pounds.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-27-2006 at 05:17 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    I was merely outlining the point of the low carbs high protein Atkins diet and how as a vegetarian and a bodybuilder that the shakes that have been made for that diet in fact help me get the protein i need. I was not wrong. I use them more when cutting as high protein with low carbs is better for cutting.
    Born to be big!
    Born to be a Vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie_Mart
    I was not wrong.
    You're wrong about the zero carbs. That is only in the induction phase.

Hi protein and fat are better for cutting because they're more satiating, but I wouldn't recommend Atkins shakes - too much soy. And even "induction" isn't zero carb - it's under 20g.