Thread: Weight training w/ Cardio

Hybrid View

Weight training w/ Cardio

I read, in more sources than one, that the best times to do cardio are early in the morning (when glycogen levels are low) and immediately after a workout. The latter time is a bit confusing to me. Why is after a workout (even for heavy lifting) one of the best times to do cardio? Don't you risk losing the muscle you just busted your ass for? Thanks for responses.

The eternal student,
    Warrior10.

Hey man, I'm no expert or anything. But when you're working out, your muscles are not growing. No, when you work out, your muscles are forming microscopic tears in your muscles. Your body heals these tears while you're sleeping. Therefore you grow outside of the gym, not in it. Therefore, cardio wouldn't destroy your muscle gains, because you haven't made any gains during your workout. I think that's the way it works. Guys, am I correct?

I don't know if that helps.

But the best cardio exercise would be HIIT. There are several variations of it, but the variation that I like the most is the one where you jog for 30 seconds, sprint for another 30 seconds, jog for 30 seconds, sprint for 30 seconds, so on and so forth. HIIT is supposed to have the highest fat burning rate and I think the lowest muscle burning rate (guys, am I right?). Read all about it: http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

The best time to do cardio though is in the morning before you have eaten. Personally I don't think you should do cardio on the days that you weightlift, because you're at risk of overtraining.

But dude. I'm no expert ok. Take a look at what some of these other guys have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by CODmasterJYK
    Hey man, I'm no expert or anything. But when you're working out, your muscles are not growing. No, when you work out, your muscles are forming microscopic tears in your muscles. Your body heals these tears while you're sleeping. Therefore you grow outside of the gym, not in it. Therefore, cardio wouldn't destroy your muscle gains, because you haven't made any gains during your workout. I think that's the way it works. Guys, am I correct?

I don't know if that helps.

But the best cardio exercise would be HIIT. There are several variations of it, but the variation that I like the most is the one where you jog for 30 seconds, sprint for another 30 seconds, jog for 30 seconds, sprint for 30 seconds, so on and so forth. HIIT is supposed to have the highest fat burning rate and I think the lowest muscle burning rate (guys, am I right?). Read all about it: http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

The best time to do cardio though is in the morning before you have eaten. Personally I don't think you should do cardio on the days that you weightlift, because you're at risk of overtraining.

But dude. I'm no expert ok. Take a look at what some of these other guys have to say.
    Thanks for the responses. I was hoping for more. I know about the morningtime, but guys, is he right otherwise?

Cardio burns calories. If you are bulking, this is going to slow your progress unless you compensate with more calories.

After sifting through the rambling of the response, I think it's mostly correct. 10-12 minutes of cardio after a lifting session won't hurt. It'll help burn off the free fatty acids your body just released into your bloodstream by lifting heavy weights. HIIT, or high intensity interval training, is a very popular form of cardio. You can find more information about it by searching here or on google.

Banned
    I do HIIT (jog/sprint) for 15-20 minutes 3 days a week (non weights days). I prefer to add very lean muscle mass and don't want the butts and guts look that out of control eating will give you.