Thread: newbie workout question

Wannabebig Member

newbie workout question

I am a total newbie to weight lifting. I'm hoping to get some ideas from all of you. I'm 36 years old married with 3 kids. I only say that because I'm looking to find a workout that I can finish in about an hour. I'm just looking to drop about 10-15lbs and tone up. I'm not really looking to gain any muscle mass. I'm 5'8" and weigh about 174. Most of my extra weight is in my belly. Any thoughts or suggestions for this newbie trying to get into shape would be greatly appreciated!

To start off... What's your diet look like...
    Go to fitday.com and track your macros and post em here...

Also if you just want to shed weight I suggest lift heavy.. Since your time is limited you don't really need cardio as long as you lift heavy..

WBB#1 workout would do fine I think..

Workouts in general should be kept to about an hour. Look at WBB1 and BGB routines. Both are good and should be able to complete in well under an hour.

That being said, diet is the key to what you want. Read built's cutting guide and you will get solid results.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    are the wbb1 and bgb routines on this site? what do they stand for? thanks for the quick responses....

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slushy
    I am a total newbie to weight lifting. I'm hoping to get some ideas from all of you. I'm 36 years old married with 3 kids. I only say that because I'm looking to find a workout that I can finish in about an hour. I'm just looking to drop about 10-15lbs and tone up. I'm not really looking to gain any muscle mass. I'm 5'8" and weigh about 174. Most of my extra weight is in my belly. Any thoughts or suggestions for this newbie trying to get into shape would be greatly appreciated!
    Re bolded: Is this a joke?

If it isn't, read through the forum, specifically the diet forum. Look in the Routines section (you can find the link to it on the main page of WBB). Read the articles. Ask questions specific to training, it'll be far easier to answer them. Why would you want to not gain any muscle mass?
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I'm just looking to drop about 10-15lbs and tone up. I'm not really looking to gain any muscle mass.
    You're not going to "tone up" without muscle. Muscle + lower body fat = defintion. Lowering your body fat while acquiring some decent muscle will let you get this defition.

Most of my extra weight is in my belly. Any thoughts or suggestions for this newbie trying to get into shape would be greatly appreciated!
    For guys, that's usually the last place fat leaves. You need to try and lose overall body fat until you eventually start losing it at the waist.

What's your diet look like?

Here are some routines you can look at ~>
    WBB Routine #1
    Baby Got Back

And some other links you should check out ~>
    Best of Diet and Nutrition Threads
    Best of Bodybuilding and Fitness Threads
    So You Need Help With Your Diet
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Leaning out with no muscle underneath will expose ribs... how sexy is that?

Never know what girls like ;D

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier
    Never know what girls like ;D
    Well... he's married and has kids. I imagine he knows what his wife likes, though I find it hard to believe that she wants to count his ribs.

To the OP: are you looking for a skinny rocker body?

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    Well... he's married and has kids. I imagine he knows what his wife likes, though I find it hard to believe that she wants to count his ribs.
    rofl ok that made me laugh hard -.- i fell off my chair

I hope you didn't hurt yourself.

To the OP: let us know if you have questions about the routines we linked. They are the basic favorites among a good number of forum members of various levels of training.

Wannabebig Member
    Re bolded: Is this a joke?

If it isn't, read through the forum, specifically the diet forum. Look in the Routines section (you can find the link to it on the main page of WBB). Read the articles. Ask questions specific to training, it'll be far easier to answer them. Why would you want to not gain any muscle mass?
    I guess what I meant to say is I'm working more to tone up and lose some weight as opposed to trying to bulk up my frame. I'll look at the routines and diet sections. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Wannabebig Member

To the OP: are you looking for a skinny rocker body?
    She might though! I'll have to ask her when I get home! LOL

Hey - no worries.

What you want to do is "cut" - drop fat, but not drop muscle.

Plenty to read about here.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Slushy
    I guess what I meant to say is I'm working more to tone up and lose some weight as opposed to trying to bulk up my frame.
    Getting big takes years of hard work. Putting on some decent muscle isn't going to do you any harm, and I'm sure your wife will enjoy the results. You can have any kind of body you want as long as you're willing to put in the work. And who knows? You might even change your mind about how you want to look once you start getting into it.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-05-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Getting big takes years of hard work. Putting on some decent muscle isn't going to do you any harm, and I'm sure your wife will enjoy the results. You can have any kind of body you want as long as you're willing to put in the work. And who knows? You might even change your mind about how you want to look once you start getting into it.
    very true...but for now I just want to work on improving my health and starting it simple so that I don't get bogged down with details. after that then I can delve into all the different routines, dietary supplements, etc. thanks again for the help and advice all. I appreciate it.

You never need any supplements. Just eat right and lift heavy.

Wannabebig Member
    ok, I have a couple of questions now. I looked at the 2 routines and I think I'm going to try the wbb1. A couple of questions I have is how a couple of exercises are done. On the wbb1 page it had an explaination link, but I couldn't find these:

deadlifts
    barbell rows
    military press in rack ( I know the military press, does the rack mean a machine?)
    french press

thanks, also is there a spreadsheet made up already to track this or do I need to make up my own? sorry for the ignorant questions and thanks for your help.

ok deadlift

barbell rows (best pic i could find -.-)

Military Press in a rack means in a machine yes... It doesn't matter if you do it free weight or rack though... Actually free weights are better if you can handle it..

french press (best pic i could find again) its very similar to the skull crusher if not the same thing -.-
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 09-06-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier
    ok deadlift

barbell rows (best pic i could find -.-)

Military Press in a rack means in a machine yes... It doesn't matter if you do it free weight or rack though... Actually free weights are better if you can handle it..

french press (best pic i could find again) its very similar to the skull crusher if not the same thing -.-
    thanks unknown I appreciate the help.

Also, does there happen to be a spreadsheet for this wbb workout already made up?