Thread: Squatting hurts my shoulders

Hybrid View

Squatting hurts my shoulders

Hi. Newbie here. So I've been using the Freemotion squat machine at the gym for a while to get the hang of it. I tried to do the real thing last week and it was disasterous. The bar (it was padded) really dug into my shoulders and hurt like ****! I could do 200lbs on the squat machine..but doing just 60-70lbs of real squats really hurt my shoulders. I still did like 2 sets, but it worked my shoulders more than my legs.

Maybe I'm positioning the bar wrong? Am I supposed to use my arms to help lift it or just to keep it in position? (btw I've seen the erxr site)

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by thzone1986; 09-03-2006 at 11:56 PM.

Don't use a pad. Learn proper form. Practice.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

The padding's just kinda stuck on there. I don't wanna rip it off and get into trouble. Also could you please be more detailed? As in.. what exactly am I doing wrong in holding the bar? Does it go low on the neck or high?
    Last edited by thzone1986; 09-04-2006 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thzone1986
    The padding's just kinda stuck on there. I don't wanna rip it off and get into trouble. Also could you please be more detailed? As in.. what exactly am I doing wrong in holding the bar? Does it go low on the neck or high?
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71389

What do you mean "stuck on there"? Is it a safety squat bar? If it's velcroed on, rip it off and proceed.

Safety squat bar:
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-04-2006 at 06:05 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Go to the online journals section and look at HeavyBomber's journal. He has video clips of himself doing squats, learn from his technique.

sensei also posted a thread onthis i beleive, with picyures of where the bar should be positioned, do a search for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Occupational Hypnomania
    He looks like he leans his upper body forward alot is that normal?

oooohooohooooo........saaafe

is that just for comfort or does it improve form etc?
    I agree with McVein

Safety squat bars are no joke. WSers use them. They are hard.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

i didnt mean that as a joke.....i shud have typed mmmmmmmmm as opposed to ooooooohoohhhoooo

would your max differ with a regular bar and a safety?
    I agree with McVein

When you say it digs into your shoulders do you mean it digs into your traps (your upper back)? You might be placing the bar too high. If you are naturally skinny gaining weight/muscle will help. It really just takes some getting used to, you'll toughen up. Check out the journals like the other posters recommended.

Safety squat bars are popular in some football player workouts I've seen. They're very easy on the shoulders.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by thzone1986
    Hi. Newbie here. So I've been using the Freemotion squat machine at the gym for a while to get the hang of it. I tried to do the real thing last week and it was disasterous. The bar (it was padded) really dug into my shoulders and hurt like ****! I could do 200lbs on the squat machine..but doing just 60-70lbs of real squats really hurt my shoulders. I still did like 2 sets, but it worked my shoulders more than my legs.

Maybe I'm positioning the bar wrong? Am I supposed to use my arms to help lift it or just to keep it in position? (btw I've seen the erxr site)

Thanks a bunch!
    Then build bigger traps and it will add more cushion.
    Nothing and I mean nothing, but hardcore.

you are just holding it wrong, it is because you learned to squat on a machine, just take the weight down and get proper form..
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by McVein
    you are just holding it wrong, it is because you learned to squat on a machine, just take the weight down and get proper form..

Alright, thanks for the help everyone. I'll give it another try this week and get back to you

Gamer/Lifter
    It used to brother my back as well, now I can't feel it, once you get used to the discomfort it isn't discomfortable anymore. Do what others have said.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Check out the two new articles at the top of the site. Those should help tremendously.

DJ