The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Squat Form

Squat Form

This may sound like a stupid question and a problem many of you would love to have, but it is getting annoying. I'm not a powerlifter at all, but I thought I would get a better response here.

I was just reading Mike Robertson's squat article, and the part about the portions of the squat and how much they recruit the glutes caught my attention. I have been doing ATF squats for a long time now, and my ass has gotten huge. I liked it at first and thought it was cool, but now it is just ****ing rediculous. It is honestly so big it's out of proportion with the rest of my body.

Now on to the question, should I start squatting parallel (or slightly above) to hit my quads hard and take the glutes somewhat out of the movement or what? I'm stressed out here.

Thanks in advance,

Leo
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your ass will get big whether you like it or not if its meant to be my friend. I too have a very large squaters ass. Embrace it..

I think front squats would be the way to go.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I think front squats would be the way to go.
    ATF or to parallel?

I've tried replacing them with front squats once before, but I just love squatting so much.

I guess I'll give it another go.

It's an interesting question.

I'm more than half considering doing quarter squats as an addition to my regular squat routine. Like perhaps 5x5 VERY heavy quarter squats, followed by 3x8 full squats.

My glutes are doing fine - it's my quads that are lagging.

Iron4Life
    I agree with Sensei.. but you will still engage the glutes with Front squats, just not as much..

The exercise that always taxed my quads (without engaging hams or gluts) and gave me a little of that diamond shape above the knee.. was Sissy Squats..

PS.. reminder to myself.. put Sissy squats back into next couple of leg workout.. I like that diamond.. :-)

Built: I was thinking of doing something like that too, I'll probably look like a douche in the gym but if it helps the quads grow, and the ass NOT grow, I'm all for it.

Bear: Hmm, what are sissy squats?

Oooh, sissies are the SH!T!

They look totally weird, but they're great! Don't do 'em cold, though - do 'em after a heavy compound.

My glutes are doing fine - it's my quads that are lagging.
    Ok Built, I've heard you complain about this for too long, so here's my 2 cents on your quads.

1- You want a big squat, but you wanna keep the close stance on your squats so they hit the quads more. Well, I'll tell you right now, the posterior chain is what makes you squat big weights. You're trying to dunk 2 plates with your quads only, when you will have a much easier time doing it with your hips/low back/hamstrings/and most of all, your ass! I did a moderate stance on my squats for my whole life and wondered why my squat sucked, but it was the wide stance that took my squat up to 700. So if you want a big squat, put your ass into it....not your quads.

2- You want nice rippled quads....sure, who doesn't? So....do more quad specific exercises. Squats, lunges and reverse hacks are gonna tailor your dominate posterior chain, so those won't really help the quads. Wanna hit the vastus medialis real good? Then do something like leg presses, or if you wanna get technical do zercher squats, or if you wanna get old school put a dime under each heel and then do some squats and tell me what muscle it hits. You wanna get some nice outter thigh sweep? Then smoke your vastus lateralis by doing some close stance rock-bottom hack squats....they're awesome. Finally, you need to get some good separation between your rectus femoris and your vastus intermedius....well....I've said it before, and I'll say it again....leg extensions.

Hope this helps.

Learning as I progress
    Its funny, sice I was thinkin the exact same thing. I dont want a huge ass, especially since i seem be a person that stores weight in the lower body. I could honestly live with some nice quads and no ass.

Only thing I can think of to help it would be a narrow stance and then im lost.

Do you only do sissy squats with ur regular BW, or how do you incorporate weight?
    Complication breeds desperation.

TommyBoy, you rock my world. You're quite right, I want too much all at once.

Right now, I want quads.

Later, I'll go for the two plates.

I'ma try all that. And I HAVE done squats with plates under my heels. I had people give me hell for it, but they really DO hit quads that way, and I never hurt myself doing 'em that way either.

Con - I do 'em unweighted, after squats, and ss them with the top half of seated leg extensions.

Ive been doin squats for years and never had a nice ass till I started doing STDL.

Those will make em rock hard.

How the hell do you keep your balance doing sissy squats?

I'm practicing right now beside the computer and I either fall back or fall to my knees.

How the hell do you keep your balance doing sissy squats?
    More importantly, how do you keep your knees from imploding while doing sissy squats? My knees hurt from just watching the motion!

lol..those sissie squats look weird...

and why does that guy neeeever wear a top???

is it not really hard to balance on them??looks like the matrix or some sh1t...id probably just deck it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    A big ass comes with the territory. I am called Big-Ass by my friends. That's not because I'm an ******* (okay it might be partially because I'm an *******, but my ass could cause an eclipse if placed in front of the sun).
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again