The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Double overhand off the floor (never did rack pulls), no chalk, 305 lbs @ bw of 156 lbs.

Only deadlifted x 2 months so far, but grip training x 1 1/2 years. My grip feels like it's good for more, but my back and legs need to get stronger.

Wannabebig Member
    Here's my progression, as I warm up:

Use double overhand until it becomes too difficult
    Switch to hook grip until it becomes too difficult
    Use monkey grip (alternate sides)

So for me, I'll use double overhand until 405-455 (depending on the number of reps), then use the hook until 495 (depending on the number of reps), and monkey anything over that. Anything in the rack, I use straps; I figure rack pulls will always be too high even for mixed grip.

I'm 200lbs, I use chalk starting when necessary, and I don't have a belt. I don't know if this is correct, but if I were you, I wouldn't sacrifice weight on any of my deadlift variations to bring up my grip; I would use straps as necessary and do extra grip work to bring it up to par.

Thanks.

Banned
    I've always used an alternate grip, or a power grip, however you wanna call it, and I've never noticed an imbalance in my lower back! What is this non-sense all about??

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidemonster
    What is this non-sense all about??
    Call it what you may, but it's not something you will notice unless someone actually shows you. My ART guy showed me by palpating one area and then the overdeveloped spot. There was a big difference in the strain I felt as he was releasing the soft tissues.

It's not like I'm doomed to die or forever suffer from postural issues. However if I want to minimize the amount of aches and pains I get I must try to keep the level of dysfunction in my muscles at a minimum. In other words I want to create a balance.

Most people don't even realize that they function with problems. They simply ignore the aches and pains until they turn into injuries down the line. There are various levels. Most of us are at a grade 1/2 level.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Banned
    Oh, ok, I see. I don't even know if I have an imbalance back there. You are right, we should take care of any imbalance. What I would do if I felt an imbalance, I would switch grips, that's all, that should be able to do the job. If you can deadlift the same amount of weight with either grip, then there shouldn't be an imbalance.

Maki, at the powerlifting meet I competeted in, there were 2 guys there that swore by the hook grip. Both pulled over 600 (don't remember exact numbers) with the hook grip. One competeted in the 198's and the other in the 220's. Its a touch grip to learn to use but might be something to help.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Thanks Homey.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wondering about an update, Maki, if you have one. Have things changed any or have you looked at other ways of correcting the imbalance other than just fixing your deadlift grip.

As a side note, I pulled 495 from mid shin with the hook grip. Its definitely a very painful grip but you can get a lot out of it. With just double overhand I'm getting probably just over 315 before I can't hold it anymore.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

this is interesting, my best dl is an easy 475 raw over under, best rack pull is an easy 585 from low knee both no straps, however ive tried a 1 handed dead with 185 and could only grip it with my left hand overhand, weird.
    2000 or bust

A hundred pounds is about the difference between double over and mixed for me as well. I can do a double of 225 double over and a single 315 mixed. If I want to do any sort of work that fatigues my back and legs instead of my grip I have to use mixed, for reps, or strap up, for heavy singles.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg