The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Excelling at Your Sport

Those of you who are competitive athletes understand (I hope) that it takes a lot of hard work to become the very best you can be. It takes many hours of practice, pushing through injuries and not allowing yourself to succumb to the mental block of giving in because things are just too hard.

There is only one motto I live by when I am training in the gym, on the mat or outside in the pouring rain. That is: Hurt in Practice so you Don't Bleed in Battle! This means very simply that you can not expect extraordinary results with an ordinary effort. The worst thing that can happen to you during a training session is that you get tired. That's all.
    If you tear yourself down during practice and aim beyond what your goal is, when it comes time to compete things will be a lot easier on you.

I hope those of you who are training hard for any sport bear this in mind the next time you feel like giving up during a training sesion.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 10-09-2006 at 09:43 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Truer words have never been spoken. Yesterday at lacrosse practice our coach made us do soo many sprints. I was dead tired after the first two sprints (one sprint = full field, across and back). I thought about giving up, feigning an injury, but deep down I knew that I needed this conditioning to make myself a better player. I pushed through all 7 sprints and I felt so great once they were over knowing that I was in better shape.

"It takes many hours of practice, pushing through injuries..."
    "This means very simply that you can not expect extraordinary results with an ordinary effort"
    "The worst thing that can happen to you during a training session is that you get tired. That's all."

Ok. So if you train hard you'll be good, sure. Don't give up during conditioning, got it. But "pushing through injuries" is an awful philosophy. I have seen 3 or 4 good wrestlers just get hurt worse and been out longer because of this - all because our coaches just kept telling them to "suck it up" and "keep going." In fact, my junior year I was wrestling dehydrated and malnourished against a great opponent during practice when I dislocated my knee. So yes, you can get seriously injured in a training session, especially when your coach doesn't know when to stop. There's pushing the limits of your physical conditioning and then there is absurdity - I only wish more coaches new the line.

If you're injured you're injured, and only the athlete knows when he can/cannot train/compete. If he's faking it then its only him that is missing out. Dave Tate could have had many more years in his powerfliting career (or at least average mobility!) if he didn't keep pushing through his injuries to set new PRs.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    He means injury that's not serious...not tears or breaks, but an ankle sprain or cut or something like that. Every sport the best never go in 100%, there's always some kind of small injury that's forgotten. Same with wrestling. Yea some say they do but they're probably not training their hardest and wont be the best.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Those of you who are competitive athletes understand (I hope) that it takes a lot of hard work to become the very best you can be. It takes many hours of practice, pushing through injuries and not allowing yourself to succumb to the mental block of giving in because things are just too hard.

There is only one motto I live by when I am training in the gym, on the mat or outside in the pouring rain. That is: Hurt in Practice so you Don't Bleed in Battle! This means very simply that you can not expect extraordinary results with an ordinary effort. The worst thing that can happen to you during a training session is that you get tired. That's all.
    If you tear yourself down during practice and aim beyond what your goal is, when it comes time to compete things will be a lot easier on you.

I hope those of you who are training hard for any sport bear this in mind the next time you feel like giving up during a training sesion.

I think I'll print this out and give this to some friends.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

I really needed this reminder right know....perfect timing
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy
    "It takes many hours of practice, pushing through injuries..."

But "pushing through injuries" is an awful philosophy.
    An athlete should know when they can push and when to back off. Sometimes they push at the wrong times and put their body at risk. But that's what competeing is all about, pushing the limits.

I have been grappling injured for the last year. I have a partially torn rotator cuff and a seperated AC joint. I coud have easily called it quits but I haven't.
    The drive to be great means that I must push through even if I'm not 100%.

Obviously there are certain situations that warrent an athlete to take a complete step back and stop training. However for the most part, you just got to do it! It's that mentality that nothing is going to get in your way which needs to be at the forefront of your mind everytime you step foot onto the mat, field, ice or in the gym.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Learning as I progress
    Maki, simply inspirational. I was telling myself this the other day when I was working out with some guys from the army. They were just saying, keep going, and I listened to em. I came out of feelin my chest hurtin, but I knew it wasnt an injury, it was me becoming stronger.

I now am gonna start applyin this concept to the crossfit im incorporating in my routine, cuz I know its going to challenge me in different ways, and I will want to quit.

Good post.
    Complication breeds desperation.

This one above is one of my favorites:
    "This means very simply that you can not expect extraordinary results with an ordinary effort"

I half agree with Maki and half Hazer on the 'pushing' issue.
    If something hurts (bad) I won't keep pushing. However, I try to always find a substitute so that I can continue training. This might mean switching movements, intensity, or duration.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    This one above is one of my favorites:

I half agree with Maki and half Hazer on the 'pushing' issue.
    If something hurts (bad) I won't keep pushing. However, I try to always find a substitute so that I can continue training. This might mean switching movements, intensity, or duration.
    If it hurts modify it. But you can still work through it in most cases. When I roll on the mat I have to work on perfecting my form and technique and not rely on my strength because my shoulders are hurting. The same applies to training in the gym.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

This reminds me of the time I disloacted my shoulder in rugby. Clean pop out the socket.

Big burly rugby coach holds me down, pops the sucker backs in and kicks my ass out to the field.

Yar....
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I think I'm going to print out Maki's saying and post it on my wall. Funny I was feeling lazy sitting at work today, but i just read that and I can't wait to go to my taekwondo session in a few hours.

I just think back to the time where I saw a guy with cerebal palsy competing with us in a strongman competition and pulling a 16k vehicle literally on his hands and knees, never quitting the whole time. He would've used his teeth if he had to, it was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen.