The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: deadlift form

Hybrid View

deadlift form

hey all,

i've been reading (bored) all day... and i've caught a few instances where folks talk about shin scarring and bleeding from the bar rubbing them from deadlifting. I do not get any sort of shin wounds. I deadlift moderately, once a week, and can't remember a single instance of shin 'rubbination'.
    I check my form in the mirror and from what i remember to what I see on Exrx and other vids, i look pretty good.

what should I check for to be certain of my form? you know i don't want to be missing out on gnarly scars from weightlifting. my armpits already look like i've been attacked by grizzlies.

kd
    Last edited by LoneJeeper; 09-06-2006 at 01:39 PM.
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010
    Bench Press 325x1 8/12/2010

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    sweet.

I do deadlift with more of a straight leg approach and drive with my hips. Perhaps i should try a few with a concentrated 'squat' mindset.

kd
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010

Keep the bar glued to your legs the entire length of the lift. As soon as the bar gets away from your body, that's where the majority of back injuries happen. Other than that, just keep your back arched and remember that from the floor to the knees is a lot of leg; the back works the majority of the lift once you get it over your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy
    Keep the bar glued to your legs the entire length of the lift. As soon as the bar gets away from your body, that's where the majority of back injuries happen. Other than that, just keep your back arched and remember that from the floor to the knees is a lot of leg; the back works the majority of the lift once you get it over your knees.
    yeah, i'd love to get more 'leg' into it. it makes my lower back tired first to do it the way i've been going at it.

kd
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010

I start the bar in front of my legs and pull back. If I start it at my shin and scrape up, I'll never get my shoulders forward and I'll end up having to pull out and over the knee. Your deadlift form should match your body type.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Watchya talkn bout willis
    That's what would happen for me, I don't know how i could possibly scrape my shins unless i got stuck somewhere
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

i recently started deadlifting more consistant and my shins are all red and bruised. good conditoinging for MT though.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

so I deadlifted today, concentrated on keeping the form very strict and the bar close to my body. I didn't like it. I think that since my trunk and femurs are long the balance is off.

kd
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010

Banned
    In my opinion, form has to do with your bodytype, your bone structure and your strength. I believe having the bar near my shins, but not too near to the point that it would actually scrape the skin! To me that's pointless! Think about it, the bar is getting stuck to your shins, causing friction, making it harder to lift the weight, I just don't believe in that type of lifting. I have the bar about an inch from my shin bone, look up and keeping my back straight, I lift the weight using my legs, I believe in sitting down, keeping your center of gravity low in the beggining of the lift, and I believe in ''exploding'' with the weight, I mean, you grab the bar, you look up, and boom, you go up, and you don't give up, you fight the sticking point. Good luck...