Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have pansy fingers...

I have pansy fingers...

I need much more strength in my fingers, I messed em over really bad my cracking my knuckles too much and now I am finding it really hard to fret notes on my bass.

If anyone knows an efective way to increase finger strength please help me out. Thanks
    Last edited by Bassist-Dude; 08-15-2006 at 04:02 PM.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

forearms are the ones to esercise...farmers walks
    started june 06
    now weigh 180lbs 5'4
    age 26
    bench 240lbs
    dead 340lbs
    seated shoulder press 85lbs (each arm)

Wannabebig Member
    finger pushups do increase strength, but I think they can give you pretty painful arthritis in your older years. constant acute pain like that in my fingers scares me enough to stay away from them. I like hand grippers and stress balls though.

How about practice more with your bass?
    "Hope is a good comforter in the hour of danger, and when men have something else to depend upon, although hurtful, she is not ruinous. But when her spendthrift nature has induced them to stake their all, they see her as she is in the moment of their fall, and not till then."
    - The Athenians to the Melians

I have awesome strength in my hands.. I think its from years of working a trade job, with tools all day.. Also I would always punch stuff; not people, just objects..... i swear.
    Conclusion? Use your hands more often. Cut them, get a punching bag, you know...
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet_kid
    Best way to do it in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet_kid
    As a bassist myself for the last ~12 years, I can say that your left hand technique is probably **** and that's why you have a problem fretting. It's also just as likely that you need to get a professional setup done on your bass if you find you have to press hard to avoid fret buzz.

It doesn't require strong fingers to play. If it did, tiny women like Melissa Auf Der Maur, Sean Yseult, Lisa from The Eyeliners, or any of a thousand others wouldn't be able to play.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I messed em over really bad my cracking my knuckles too much
    Not to give the casual succinct sarcastic know it all internet message board answer, but ...
    No you didn't. Cracking your knuckles isn't bad for them at all.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

13 year old with bad knuckles...yeah.

As a kid I used to crack mine like it was my job, all day long. It never did anything.

Your mom will tell you it's giving you arthritis because you annoy her and she wants you to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by care_bear
    forearms are the ones to esercise...farmers walks

exactly... Forearms are where you get your grip...

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/tr...-exercises.htm

My stepmother is a nurse. Don't take this as gospel but she told me that cracking your knuckles and the arthritis link is a bunch of bull long since dispelled as an old wives tale. Anyone telling you that is just trying to get you to stop cracking them cause it bugs them.

I've been cracking mine dozens of times a day for over 15 years... never did me any harm.

Don't they make little finger exerisers with five buttons on springs? I seem to remember seeing those in guitar shops.

Edit: FOUR BUTTONS... i'm an idiot.
    Last edited by Trajanus; 08-16-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Check out some rock climbing aids. There's a bunch of stuff to help hand and finger strength.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am begining to practice more on my bass, and I will look into some of those forearm exercises.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bassist-Dude
    Thanks for the help everyone. I am begining to practice more on my bass, and I will look into some of those forearm exercises.
    While grip work is cool, as far as bass playing, it's not that important. Remember to check into your setup as well. If your action is too high, it requires more force. More force = slower hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassist-Dude
    I need much more strength in my fingers, I messed em over really bad my cracking my knuckles too much and now I am finding it really hard to fret notes on my bass.

If anyone knows an effective way to increase finger strength please help me out. Thanks
    Buy you some of those grippers and do it for five minutes everyday day. That will fix that. You will notice a big difference after two weeks, or even sooner. Good luck to you.

crush tennis balls - crush them down keeping your fingers straight
    plate wrist curl - im looking to top the world in this exercise asap, im 100% behind it being exactly how to strengthen your fingers
    plate pinch - pinch 2 plates together

just with those couple of exercises you can strengthen your fingers to no end

Thanks man, I'll look into those, as well as see what I can do about my bass set-up
    Last edited by Bassist-Dude; 08-16-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Hangar 18 - Journal

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    What is with this strengthening fingers crap? The strength of your fingers comes from your forearms.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

can you explain the plate wrist curl...

no, finger training is not forearm training, do a plate wrist curl an you will understand that it is different

a plate wrist curl is very simple - place your hand under a weight plate with your palm up, an put your thumb over the top, so your hand is on the edge of the plate, an the plate is between your fingers an your thumb (get as much of your hand on the plate as you can, not just the finger tips)

Then its a simple wrist curl, do it over the edge of your knee or a bench - it works the fingers real real well

but grip comes from forearm strength in fingers is crap. Scars of pain is dead on savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier
    but grip comes from forearm strength in fingers is crap. Scars of pain is dead on savvy.
    Kind of. SavVy is right about the thumb - if you have to do any kind of pinching movement and you've done nothing but wrist/forearm work, you're going to be disappointed. If you want to have a serious grip, you can't neglect the thumb.

I recommend the following split:
    day 1: hand/wrist extensors
    day 2: hand/wrist flexors
    day 3: hand/wrist supination
    day 4: hand/wrist pronation
    day 5: thumb flexion
    day 6: thumb abduction
    day 7: thumb adduction
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier
    its different, specifically train your fingers an thumbs an you will see what i mean, its not the same as basic grip training

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Kind of. SavVy is right about the thumb - if you have to do any kind of pinching movement and you've done nothing but wrist/forearm work, you're going to be disappointed. If you want to have a serious grip, you can't neglect the thumb.

I recommend the following split:
    day 1: hand/wrist extensors
    day 2: hand/wrist flexors
    day 3: hand/wrist supination
    day 4: hand/wrist pronation
    day 5: thumb flexion
    day 6: thumb abduction
    day 7: thumb adduction

That's interesting, to say the least.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN

That's interesting, to say the least.
    First part = totally serious
    Second part = totally NOT serious
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/