Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A gym annoyance of mine...

A gym annoyance of mine...

Here's a little pet peeve of mine... Some machines (or a squat rack) hold extra weights, for storage. It annoys me when I'm on a machine or rack and someone comes along and just takes weights off the spare-holders without asking. It is weight that I am not currently using, but I WILL BE using those weights soon. It's a little different if I'm only using 200 lbs and there are 6 plates of 45 lbs on the rack's holders.

Maybe I need to look meaner. I definitely need to get bigger, so that people KNOW that I will be needing all the weights near me

Anyone else find that annoying?

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I think that we should have a Perpetual Bitching About Gym Things Thread.

That said, I consider extra weights on a rack to be fair game. I will usually ask if the person useing the equipment will be using the plates I want but I don't always ask. People throw their plates all over the place and if I am walking all over looking for them then so can you. First come, first served.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Well, I'm not annoyed to the point where I'd say something. I think it's just a courtesy thing, like using a blinker when driving. Usually, people aren't walking ALL around looking for weights (in my example). I'm mostly talking about someone walking 10 feet to take weights from my machine, rather than walk 10 feet to get weights from a plate-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    I think that we should have a Perpetual Bitching About Gym Things Thread.
    Start it up. I'll contribute

Ahhhh see, my gym has empty plate holders.

I say you retitle your thread and keep pointing it out every time someone starts this topic again. I know we've had some very lengthy threads on this topic in the past.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I have a couple of kids that go to the university gym over here that wear polo shirts for some reason and like to pop their collars when they do the bench, kind of annoying cause they do one set and then gather around in a circle with each ohte.r

...people who wear hats in the gym.........enough said
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by McVein
    Bah, I love wearing a hat in the gym. Works as a sweat band. I sweat alot and the hat absorbs it, instead of dripping down my face. I then throw it in a plastic bag, take it home, and wash it. Now wearing sunglasses like I've seen is different.
    Nick V

I find it annoying when people smell badly at the gym and when people either don't use a towel on a bench to absorb their sweat or don't find some other means of removing their sweat off a bench once they're done. Those things are annoying to me because they affect me. Whether someone pops their collar or wears sunglasses has no effect on me whatsoever, therefore I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    Now wearing sunglasses like I've seen is different.
    My Gucci glasses add 10lbs to all my lifts. But, I am a vampire.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosaj
    My Gucci glasses add 10lbs to all my lifts. But, I am a vampire.
    Heh, there are times when I'm at the gym around sunset and I WISH I had sunglasses on because the ribbon windows face west and the back equipment is on that side of the floor facing the windows.

i dont do it, but i wouldnt get annoed unless i was squatting. i need to concentrate.

what's funny is, i've never seen anyone leg press more than me (5pps) in my gym, i've only seen one guy use the hack squat for 1pps (no one else uses it), and i've only seen two people squat more than 3pps, yet those are the stations holding all the 45's. the regular plate trees are almost always empty. even the bench plate holders are usually sparse.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

No its not enough said...I wear a hat in the gym and during heavy lifts I pull it down low...makes me feel like I'm in my own zone and nothing can come between it, not even my training partner lol.

So what do you mean by people who wear hats in the gym?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Why wear a hat when you could wear a rainbow colored headband?

Quote Originally Posted by SoloScott
    Here's a little pet peeve of mine... Some machines (or a squat rack) hold extra weights, for storage. It annoys me when I'm on a machine or rack and someone comes along and just takes weights off the spare-holders without asking. It is weight that I am not currently using, but I WILL BE using those weights soon. It's a little different if I'm only using 200 lbs and there are 6 plates of 45 lbs on the rack's holders.

Maybe I need to look meaner. I definitely need to get bigger, so that people KNOW that I will be needing all the weights near me

Anyone else find that annoying?
    Haha, I'm on the other side of the spectrum.

A couple weeks ago I got cut eye from some guy and made me feel like what I did, was the stupidest thing I could have ever done. He was in the middle of doing hack squats and I took a 45 plate...he looked at me for a couple seconds and said I'm using that! lol so I gave it back to him because it meant so much to him but in my head I'm thinking so because your on this machine, you own all the weight thats been placed on it??? People stack plates everywhere in the gym and for him to react in that matter...beats me. But I thought this guy had his name on the plate for a second, I checked but there was nothing.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

i just think that its a fashion accesory, and you are not goin to the gym for yourself, but for other people

and i cant tell if you are being serious about why you wear your hat, but if it helps yu thats fine, but in my gym, people get almost..dressed up..and that annoys me
    I agree with McVein

i just think that its a fashion accesory, and you are not goin to the gym for yourself, but for other people

and i cant tell if you are being serious about why you wear your hat, but if it helps yu thats fine, but in my gym, people get almost..dressed up..and that annoys me
    I take a shower and gel my hair before I workout. I definitely go to the gym for ME, but I don't mind looking sexy for the cardio bunnies.

people who smell in the gym is the worst.....or people who scream when lifting....i have no problem with you making noise...but dont screm, especially on the bicep curl machine...

or people who look at you in the mirror when youre lifting...

or that token old naked guy in the sauna...shudder
    I agree with McVein

Why knock a hat when certain people wear it for what ever reason and it doesn't affect you in anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Why knock a hat when certain people wear it for what ever reason and it doesn't affect you in anyway?
    Because I'm on a vendetta to eliminate the world of hats, obviously.

people who smell in the gym is the worst.....or people who scream when lifting....i have no problem with you making noise...but dont screm, especially on the bicep curl machine...

Haha okay, I can agree with everything you just said there.

The worst is when people scream, and those people who do this usually do it while performing bicep curls. Its awesome when they finish screaming they look down at the ground thinking oh boy what a set and 5 seconds later they look around to see whos looking at them to see if anyone noticed just how strong and mean they really are.

Oooooh great idea. I'll try that!

Yea, smelly people suck, unless they earned their stink IN the gym, then w/e. I don't mind screamers, it's a lot better than people who put 50% effort into everything. But if you're going to scream, at least be doing your max effort weight wise. People can watch me lift all they want as far as I'm concerned, if people are watching you, you're either doing something right, or something really wrong, lol. And the token old naked guy's in the locker room always have the best stories, you should talk to them, old people are often very wise.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    Oooooh great idea. I'll try that!
    Make sure it matches with your shoes, though.

Fashion is for me. I wear nice stuff to the gym because I like seeing myself in nice clothes. I don't understand why anyone else would care.

Har har I don't understand why it annoys you. It has no relation to you.

Yea, smelly people suck, unless they earned their stink IN the gym, then w/e. I don't mind screamers, it's a lot better than people who put 50% effort into everything. But if you're going to scream, at least be doing your max effort weight wise. People can watch me lift all they want as far as I'm concerned, if people are watching you, you're either doing something right, or something really wrong, lol. And the token old naked guy's in the locker room always have the best stories, you should talk to them, old people are often very wise.
    wise maybe.....old and sweaty, definitley........theres one guy that wears his white boxer shorts into the sauna..after a shower....

and as your well aware, wet white shorts.....will take on the appearance of clingfilm......

the worst is when you overhear a guy tryiong to teach some"noob" how to do stuff, and he is giving him advice straight out of the curl jockeys bible
    I agree with McVein