Thread: Snatch/Clean Grip Deads.....?

Wannabebig Member

Snatch/Clean Grip Deads.....?

Hey what up people? just wondering, is there any negatives about this variation? And has anyone tried it? thanx in advance...

Wannabebig Member
    I always deadlift with a clean hook grip.

I have never deadlifted with a snatch hook grip, but I think Alwyn Cosgrove recommends it as a non-curl exercise that builds the biceps (among other muscles).

Wannabebig Member

Snatch grip

I tried snatch hook grip deadlifts today, and wow, it was a lot tougher than I expected.

If you are Oly lifting, clean deadlifts offer more than snatch grip deadlifts. Clean and snatch pulls are better than either, which is why I don't deadlift at all (except RDLs).

If you aren't competing in OL, they are both excellent exercises. Not enough people deadlift with the snatch grip.

Wannabebig Member
    naww i don't Oly lift. I've been reading around and noticed alot of people saying that wide grip shrugs hit the traps a lot better than the regular so i figured if i deadlifted this way then it'd do a lot for the traps.....also read a couple sources saying rack pulls hit the upper back (traps) a lot more than the lower (posterior chain). So basically im gonna combine those two ideas and do Snatch Rack Pulls.......But yeah erik its a lil tougher. Right now im starting light to get into the movement, and once i get that down im gonna start racking up the weight!

p.s. ohh and another reason why im doing it from a rack is because i have a sticking part around that area....usually its always that part where i can't budge it so im gonna work it from there....
    Last edited by jampsifit; 09-09-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jampsifit
    naww i don't Oly lift. I've been reading around and noticed alot of people saying that wide grip shrugs hit the traps a lot better than the regular so i figured if i deadlifted this way then it'd do a lot for the traps.....also read a couple sources saying rack pulls hit the upper back (traps) a lot more than the lower (posterior chain). So basically im gonna combine those two ideas and do Snatch Rack Pulls.......But yeah erik its a lil tougher. Right now im starting light to get into the movement, and once i get that down im gonna start racking up the weight!

p.s. ohh and another reason why im doing it from a rack is because i have a sticking part around that area....usually its always that part where i can't budge it so im gonna work it from there....
    Never heard that wide grip shrugs would hit the trap any better? Do you have a link to an article or something? It'd be interesting to see why it works.

I wouldn't exactly say that rack pulls work your upper back moreso than your lower back. I know that my upper back gets sore after rack pulls but I also know that they fry my lower back for a few days. I think it's just because people generally use alot more weight doing rack pulls -- something their upper backs aren't used to which is why you would get sore.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    Have u heard of the book called, "Kelso's Shrug Book"?

But yeah i know doing out of the rack will work the lower as well but i just think it'd hit the upper a lil more since there is a decrease in the movement path. Also the more stretch you have (like in stiff legs off a box) the more it activates or hits the lower (posterior chain), so thats why i think the rack pulls would work the upper a lil more than the lower.
    Last edited by jampsifit; 09-09-2006 at 03:01 PM.