The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Senior Member teenathlete3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    189

    Don't pause between deadlift reps

    I have found that for me the hardest rep of a heavy deadlift set (say on a set of 3) is the first rep, not necessarily the last. Getting the weight started seems like the hardest task. If you just tap the weight on the ground and immediately go up with the next rep, you get a rythem going. If you set the weight down and take a quick breath and go back up, it's like lifting the first rep again.

    By the way I can't imagine that this is cheating since I'm pretty sure a heavy bar doesn't bounce much. Just a tip I found.
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    HS Football D Breyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mlps, MN
    Posts
    1,311
    Newton's third law? for every action is an equal and opposite reaction. You would be supprised how much a heavy bar bounces, just watch anybody deload a heavy clean.

    Also, it should not about making the lift "easier", or looking for a short-cut.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

  4. #3
    Senior Member HeavyBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Granger Indiana, USA
    Posts
    2,166
    The first rep is the only true deadlift. The following reps with no pause are dynamic reps. You also do not take into account benefit of the stretch reflex.

    Not that I find anything wrong with not pausing. Deads with no pause are great.
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 09-08-2006 at 09:40 PM.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Small town in Texas
    Posts
    97
    I agree that it makes it easier but it is called "dead"lift for a reason. You're supposed to simulate lifting dead weight off the ground.
    JESUS KICKS ASS!

    Life's too short to live in caution. Life's too long not to live at all.--Van Zandt

    It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not.--Van Zandt

    MYJOURNAL

    MY FITDAY

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    92
    You need to deweight the weight to floor each rep. Bouncing off the ground is bad form.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    So you're suggesting a pause and reset between each rep? That would certainly take awhile.

  8. #7
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,120
    If I didn't pause between reps, I'd black out and collapse on the floor.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  9. #8
    Gunslinger bullethead74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portsmouth, England
    Posts
    147
    If you cant pause, even briefly with the weight at 'dead' stop on the floor then you are using too much weight, as you say the 1st rep is the hardest, because this is the only one being done properly.

  10. #9
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,120
    If you cant pause, even briefly with the weight at 'dead' stop on the floor then you are using too much weight
    How do you figure?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  11. #10
    The Body Never Lies Nosaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    0
    Too many people think there is only one way to do an exercise. Don't state opinion as fact, makes you look narrowminded and ignorant.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

  12. #11
    Gunslinger bullethead74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portsmouth, England
    Posts
    147
    Or to put it another way, you dont want to lower the weight because it would hurt your ego.

    If you dont stop at the bottom, then you are using momentum not muscle, the same as bouncig the bar off of your chest in bench press.

  13. #12
    Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    180
    That and by the third 'bounce' your form is usually gone to hell.

    Like they say around here...check your ego at the door. If you can DEAD lift it for one rep but can't do another, time to lighten it up.

    -p-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

    Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

    "Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

    "They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

  14. #13
    Banned markdk86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,116
    Break apart the damn term. DEAD-LIFT. Not MOMENTEM-LIFT. Pick up, put down, repeat. No bouncing, no tapping. If you can't pick it up as dead weight EVERY REP, you are doing too much weight. Get rid of the ego, or get out of the gym.

  15. #14
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,762
    Seems natural to me to set it all the way back down at the end of every rep. I never even thought about doing it any other way.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    Well, just to make a point:

    There is nothing wrong with momentum. For example: High pulls, cleans, jerks, clean and jerks...

    Damn powerlifters using their momentum--psh.

  17. #16
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128
    Just keep your back arched and your body tight and do them any damn way you please.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  18. #17
    There are no limits DaoineSidhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    137
    I would think using more control and less speed to raise the weights, then lower them to a stop on the ground would be more beneficial to the muscles targeted and also the stabilizers.

    Also, wouldn't bouncing that much weight be harsh on the joints?

  19. #18
    Senior Member Natetaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Just keep your back arched and your body tight and do them any damn way you please.
    i second that
    ________________________
    190ish lbs
    5'11
    Personal Accomplishments
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by DaoineSidhe
    I would think using more control and less speed to raise the weights, then lower them to a stop on the ground would be more beneficial to the muscles targeted and also the stabilizers.

    Also, wouldn't bouncing that much weight be harsh on the joints?
    Not necessarily. A constant motion could be beneficial for explosive movements. There are many movements where the lifter does not stop lifting.

  21. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosaj
    Too many people think there is only one way to do an exercise. Don't state opinion as fact, makes you look narrowminded and ignorant.
    Yeah there are plenty of ways to deadlift! My favorite way to is to deadlift the weight off my chest while lying on a bench!

    PS: Exercises have names for a reason. Without them we wouldn't be able to communcate. Therefore, these specifically defined exercises must conform to their definitions, otherwise they appear as mere verbiage that could mean anything.

    Furthermore, a deadlift is "a lift in weightlifting in which the weight is lifted from the floor to the level of the hips and then lowered by controlled effort to the floor."

    http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...d+lift&x=0&y=0

    This is not my opinion, it is fact.

  22. #21
    Senior Member Natetaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zach
    Yeah there are plenty of ways to deadlift! My favorite way to is to deadlift the weight off my chest while lying on a bench!

    PS: Exercises have names for a reason. Without them we wouldn't be able to communcate. Therefore, these specifically defined exercises must conform to their definitions, otherwise they appear as mere verbiage that could mean anything.

    Furthermore, a deadlift is "a lift in weightlifting in which the weight is lifted from the floor to the level of the hips and then lowered by controlled effort to the floor."

    http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...d+lift&x=0&y=0

    This is not my opinion, it is fact.


    I think this is the second thread where iv seen you use dictionary reference for a deadlift. what are you trying to prove.
    ________________________
    190ish lbs
    5'11
    Personal Accomplishments
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

  23. #22
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    I have recently started resting the bar on the ground between each rep, and have found it makes the set more intense, and I feel I am getting more out of the movement. I did use the touch-and-go technique the OP is describing for a long time though, and had good results.

  24. #23
    Cardio bunny Alex.V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Duke
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    I think this is the second thread where iv seen you use dictionary reference for a deadlift. what are you trying to prove.
    Everything he knows, he learned from teh intarnet!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

  25. #24
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by puny_ectomorph
    Like they say around here...check your ego at the door. If you can DEAD lift it for one rep but can't do another, time to lighten it up.

    -p-
    Unless you're doing singles. Then you can avoid the bounce debate entirely.

  26. #25
    Senior Member Natetaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial
    Everything he knows, he learned from teh intarnet!
    such a reliable source in fact
    ________________________
    190ish lbs
    5'11
    Personal Accomplishments
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •