Thread: Bench Press (sets and reps)

Bench Press (sets and reps)

How do you guys like to do bench? I was just doing 3x10 (ussually same weight all the way though), but then i started doing more of a pyramid thing with like 10 or 8 reps maybe and then going down two each time with more weight. Is it better to just keep switching it up or do you guys like doing one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard 9
    How do you guys like to do bench? I was just doing 3x10 (ussually same weight all the way though), but then i started doing more of a pyramid thing with like 10 or 8 reps maybe and then going down two each time with more weight. Is it better to just keep switching it up or do you guys like doing one or the other?
    I'd stay with 3x12, 4x8, 5x5, 6x6. These all keep you between 25 and 36 reps per exercise. Unless you have a good reason to do otherwise, I think that's a good rep range to stay within. Also, I would use the first, or the first few sets, depending upon which number of sets and reps you choose, as warmup. The last few, I generally increase the weight until I am doing near my maxiumum on the last 2-3 sets (using the 6x6 routine).

Quote Originally Posted by Sampson777
    I'd stay with 3x12, 4x8, 5x5, 6x6. These all keep you between 25 and 36 reps per exercise. Unless you have a good reason to do otherwise, I think that's a good rep range to stay within. Also, I would use the first, or the first few sets, depending upon which number of sets and reps you choose, as warmup. The last few, I generally increase the weight until I am doing near my maxiumum on the last 2-3 sets (using the 6x6 routine).
    I like the idea of 5x5 or 6x6, I will try it out next time, thanks.

I do a 5x5 with the same amount of weight on all 25 reps but of course I do a warmup before that.

Generally 6-8 reps is considered optimal for gaining mass. As far as sets, you should make that decision, long as you put to much volume.

5x5 has helped me gain mass and good strength in my bench and squats.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL