The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Routine Change? My body can't handle my routine anymore

I've been training extremely hard but in a strongman/powerlifter hybrid mix.

Pushing my body to the limit every workout has caught up to me, everytime I lift I always tried to lift more weight then the last workout and it worked great for a while. Today my knees buckled on my 2nd set ( 315) and my 3rd set which was 500 for 6 I got with parallel but my knees were crackin so bad and hurting I just had to stop.

If your knees give out they will never be the same, I tried to take it easy but I was short of breath, light headed, and my gag reflex kept kicking. Here's a look at my workout today. ( Im going to start training like a bodybuilder for now on, I really wanted to win state this year but I don't think my joints can handle it. I just hope I can change my training and not lose strength)

135x10
    315x8
    500x6 ( planned for 2-3 more sets but my body told me no)

Leg press
    800 3x10 ( only about 15 reps out of 30 were full rom.)

Leg extention
    2x12 135

Deep squats
    3x10 315 ( 1 minute rest in between)

Hamstring curls
    3x12 225
    1x12 35 ( one leg strict motion, felt like icecicles shootin up my legs)

In terms of a bodybuilding workout it wasn't too bad, whole thing took me about 70 minutes. I'm going to compare it too my last leg workout which took 2 hours.

Squat
    1x10 135
    1x8 315
    1x6 500
    1x3 585
    1x4 605(went to failure, each one strict parallel)

SLDL
    135x10
    315 2x8
    405 2x5

Two exercises, was all I needed when going for strength. I took around a 5 minute break between sets after I completed warm ups, those had a 2 minute rest.

Does that look like a decent transition, I plan on trying to keep a similar strength routine but just lower the time inbetween sets. My body is not matured enough for what im putting it through. Talking to alot of pro bodybuilders and powerlifters they reccomend that I take it easy, it might work now but eventually its just going to get the best of me.

I want to look good but thats not the reason for my routine change, its definately a bonus but I need to give my body a good 2-4 months to let my joints catch up and get my CNS to recover. I've also been having alot of lower back pains, I have had a lot of tightness in my hamstrings so many some strict stretching in the mornings in night will ease the tightness. Im weighing 278 right now which is a 60 pound gain since january( My body isn't used to carrying this weight so dropping 20 pounds of fat might make things easier) Im just trying to keep yall informed on my progress and I'd like for any advice on the subject, if anyone has experieced anything similar please inform me. I just need to completely revamp and hopefully be squatting 650 by next feb ( With a single ply suit, ive been lifting raw) and be more physically fit. My first plan is to shorten downtime, no workout should last more then an 1hour and a half.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

605x4 on squats?!?!? holy ****. Thats some high intensity it seems. Take a week off and just eat a whole bunch more than you already do and then come back.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

I'm going to suspend my disbelief for a moment and try to give you some advice. Do with it as you see fit. My guess is that you will disregard it because that is basically what you did with advice to take time of with a back injury... Oh well, here goes:

Regardless of what you are training for, why the hell would you want to go to failure with 500+ on your back? Why the hell would you be making 200lb jumps in your weights?

I don't know how you feel about HIT, etc., but I'm sure that you know that most PLers don't follow a HIT routine... Training to failure on squats with heavy weights and/or on a regular basis is just an invitation to burnout, technique deterioration, and injury IMHO.

Warm-ups are important. IMHO, they are more and more important the stronger and more advanced you are. Increase your weights in smaller increments and do less reps/set. 135 x 10 is not helping your upper end strength. Neither is 315 x 8. You are warming up and solidifying your technique. Start with the bar, then do 135, then do 225, then do 315, then 405 - triples (at most 5 reps) all the way to your working weights. Make each and every rep from the very first set to the very last rep perfect with 100% focus.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I'm going to suspend my disbelief for a moment and try to give you some advice. Do with it as you see fit. My guess is that you will disregard it because that is basically what you did with advice to take time of with a back injury... Oh well, here goes:

Regardless of what you are training for, why the hell would you want to go to failure with 500+ on your back? Why the hell would you be making 200lb jumps in your weights?

I don't know how you feel about HIT, etc., but I'm sure that you know that most PLers don't follow a HIT routine... Training to failure on squats with heavy weights and/or on a regular basis is just an invitation to burnout, technique deterioration, and injury IMHO.

Warm-ups are important. IMHO, they are more and more important the stronger and more advanced you are. Increase your weights in smaller increments and do less reps/set. 135 x 10 is not helping your upper end strength. Neither is 315 x 8. You are warming up and solidifying your technique. Start with the bar, then do 135, then do 225, then do 315, then 405 - triples (at most 5 reps) all the way to your working weights. Make each and every rep from the very first set to the very last rep perfect with 100% focus.
    I agree with Sensei here, and also I want to add, man you are seriously overtraining! I would suggest taking a month off and let your body grow and recover, then you'll come back as strong as always! Be careful with your knees! Take supplements like glucosamine for your joints. After a month of rest, your knees will be totally healed, and you'll be eager to work out again!....Good luck bro!...

If you are having joint problems at your age, along with the back injury you described, your form is probably horrific.

I'll assume you will ignore my advice (again) as well.

Fix the underlying issues.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidemonster
    I agree with Sensei here, and also I want to add, man you are seriously overtraining! I would suggest taking a month off and let your body grow and recover, then you'll come back as strong as always! Be careful with your knees! Take supplements like glucosamine for your joints. After a month of rest, your knees will be totally healed, and you'll be eager to work out again!....Good luck bro!...

man a month off, that would be hard!
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei

Definately good advice. Thats the first time I have ever gone to failure in my 5 years of workout experiece, I only planned on doing 2 reps but I went crazy and pumped out a few more. For a long time I would warm up like so
    135x10
    225x10
    315x8
    405x5

I cut out the 225 and the 405,thats too much effort and was going to warmup and was a recipe for overtraining. Creating the perfect routine is trial and error, im starting to get enough experience under my belt to understand the concept but im still learning. Im concidering training like a bodybuilder to keep things fresh and hopefully give my body something its not expecting. I know how to get strong but when it comes to being lean and sexy, I need a helping hand.

Paul I never mean to disrespect you in anyform but you constantly disregard what I say and deem that due to my age its impossible for me to know what im talking about. You have age on me, lifting experience I don't know. Anyone who has ever competitively competed understands that when your runner up for state one month can kill you. I cannot go a month without lifting. My form is damn near perfect and i've had it critqued but comming from a normal person its reasonable to make that assumption.

Osteo-chondritis dissecans- common in my family and ended my brothers football carrer. I have to take precautions for my knees with this history.

This is a specific type of chondritis - a poorly-understood condition where a focal area of bone dies, and the overlying cartilage may also disintegrate and collapse. Again, the cartilage does not actually become inflamed. so 'chondritis' is a misnomer here, too.
    Last edited by Jinkies; 09-10-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    man a month off, that would be hard!
    No it's not! Not when it comes to your knees! Remember, you only have 2 knees, you screw them up, you are done, forget about powerlifting, the squat, the deadlift...Be very careful with the knees, I would take a month off. Most people think that after a month layoff that they will lose strenth, but that's not always the case, as long as you are eating properly, your strenth should be ok, you might even come back stronger! It's weird how the body works sometimes!