The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 21 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    It's still nice pulling even though you didn't hit 345. Its cool, there's so many factors as to why you didnt get it that you shouldn't even worry about it. You'll nail it next time.

Have you widened your grip yet while benching?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    I know how you feel on those deads. Same thing is happening to me. Good work though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky View Post
    It's still nice pulling even though you didn't hit 345. Its cool, there's so many factors as to why you didnt get it that you shouldn't even worry about it. You'll nail it next time.
    Thanks guys! I'm not too worried, it's just frustrating. My back is tired as hell today, so that's a good thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Have you widened your grip yet while benching?
    Yeah I'm doing middle finger on the ring. It feels alot more comfortable. I'm pretty sure my chest is far behind my tris and shoulders because I benched so narrow for a long time. The 5x5 is easing it in well and I'm adding some extra chest work in as well. Any suggestions for direct chest work?

Watchya talkn bout willis
    maybe add a couple sets of dumb bell bench after regular benching or on a seperate day?
    Last edited by North; 07-09-2007 at 03:08 PM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    maybe add a couple sets of dumb bell bench after regular benching or on a seperate day?
    I do DB incline after 5x5 flat on DE day. Maybe I'll add in some DB work on DE day.

Banned
    DE Upper
    Flat Bench
    Target: 5x5; Time between sets: 3 minutes
    5x135 (easy)
    5x135 (easy)
    5x135 (heavier)
    5x135 (barely squeaked out the fifth)
    4x135 (told my spotter not to touch the bar and eventually got it)

Incline DB Press
    Target: 3x8-10; Time between sets: 90 seconds
    10x40
    7x40
    5x40 (lockout = no)

Dips
    Target: none; Time between sets: 2 minutes

Straight Bar Pressdown
    10x60
    10x60
    8x60, stripped down to 20

Notes:
    Overall a very good workout. My spotter was kinda pissing me off, but he understood what "don't touch the ****ing bar" meant by the last set Most of the reps were paused, but they became touch and go by the end of the set. My chest and tris are toasted and I feel like I'm improving. 5x5 is working well
    I wanted to try kaz presses, but the smith machine was busy.....go figure.

Nice benching Red! Too bad about the Smith, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Yeah I'm doing middle finger on the ring. It feels alot more comfortable. I'm pretty sure my chest is far behind my tris and shoulders because I benched so narrow for a long time.
    I just did the same thing. I used to grip really close (thank god I only lifted for a month before I caught myself) and when I switched to the wide I was like omg this feels much better. I figured my lifts would go down cause my tris are in great shape but my chest is really lacking but it went up 5lbs. Go figure.. Did you notice any difference in the weight? Lighter/Heavier?

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

good work bro. it's like everybody has to experience a ****ty spotter at one time or another.

Real solid DE work. I like how the 5x5 is treating you. Why do you take timed rests though?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Nice benching Red! Too bad about the Smith, lol.
    haha it's no surprise, really
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I just did the same thing. I used to grip really close (thank god I only lifted for a month before I caught myself) and when I switched to the wide I was like omg this feels much better. I figured my lifts would go down cause my tris are in great shape but my chest is really lacking but it went up 5lbs. Go figure.. Did you notice any difference in the weight? Lighter/Heavier?
    I don't think it's made much of a difference, but I do feel a little weaker with the wider grip. My strength is coming quickly, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky View Post
    good work bro. it's like everybody has to experience a ****ty spotter at one time or another.
    thanks man, it happens. I'm going to be more explicit with my spotters now lol
    Real solid DE work. I like how the 5x5 is treating you. Why do you take timed rests though?
    Yeah I like the way it's working too. I time the rest intervals to keep them consisten and so I can be out of the gym in a decent amount of time. I know if I didn't time them I would trying to press again in like 30 seconds....the stopwatch keeps me honest

Banned
    Couldn't make it to the gym last night for DE lower. I think I pulled/strained my hip flexor so it's good I didn't go. I'll try out ME upper tonight and see how I feel.

Good work lately Bryan. Just a thought. On DE days use less weight so you can work on speed and other dynamics of the lift. I'm not sure if struggling with the weight is proper form on DE days.

Keep it up dude.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

looking forward to seeing tonights workout. got a really good feeling about it
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

Banned
    ME Upper
    Incline Bench
    4x95
    3x105
    1x120
    1x130 paused and clean rep
    1x140 (PR +5) paused and clean rep
    1x145 (PR +10 paused, but my butt came off. Still counting it

Flat DB Press
    5x45
    5x50
    3x55 (yeah, I'm that cocky )

Lat Pulldown
    8x120
    8x135
    6x135

Narrow V Pushdown
    10x60
    10x70
    6x80

Pec Deck
    8x80
    8x70
    6x80

various light delt raises

Notes
    Hell yeah! It seems like forever since I've set an upper PR. I knew I was going to get it when my spotter said "is that all?" after one rep at 130 All of the reps felt like great form and, except for the last one, were paused. Flat bench felt great as well. Threw in some direct chest and shoulder work to finish it all off. Oh and I had a sick pump....had to check myself out in the locker room

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Good work lately Bryan. Just a thought. On DE days use less weight so you can work on speed and other dynamics of the lift. I'm not sure if struggling with the weight is proper form on DE days.

Keep it up dude.
    Thanks man. I'm doing a more conventional 5x5 for DE upper. I've tried doing speed work before, but it doesn't seem to help me a whole lot - I'm just too damn weak overall. I may have to lighten it soon(ish), though, so I don't over train.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    looking forward to seeing tonights workout. got a really good feeling about it
    Well that worked out well

Banned
    I've been forcing myself to get more sleep and eat more throughout the day. At work, getting enough food is tough for me. It's stressing me out and I have zero appetite when I'm stressed. It should be getting better next week, though. As for the sleep, well, I'm sucking it up and going to bed early.

Dude awesome PR. Glad to see that bench going up. If you ass is coming up just try and cram your legs more under yourself.

edit: That was a ****ty sentence, you get the idea
    Last edited by Sidior; 07-12-2007 at 08:51 PM.

no need to stress. whats the need? its not going to kill you either way. it will do more harm to worry

*and i told you i had a good feeling. awesome session bro
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

Banned
    Dude awesome PR. Glad to see that bench going up. If you ass is coming up just try and cram your legs more under yourself.

edit: That was a ****ty sentence, you get the idea
    haha thanks! I know what you're saying. I'm pretty sure I could have got it without lifting my ass, but whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    no need to stress. whats the need? its not going to kill you either way. it will do more harm to worry

*and i told you i had a good feeling. awesome session bro
    I don't usually stress, but **** happens. I figure I'm ahead of alot of people because I can keep my stress at work.
    *Thanks!

NICE pr dude! Even better since its paused. congrats
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    NICE pr dude! Even better since its paused. congrats
    thanks man, I was making damn sure it was going to be a clean, paused rep

Banned
    w00t, I'll be missing another lower day. Played golf this morning and am playing soccer tonight. I don't want to squat or deadlift because my hip flexor is acting up. Will be taking the soccer easy and stopping if anything hurts.

Banned
    alrighty just got back from the doctor's. I was afraid of a hernia, but he said it's just a pulled/mildly torn muscle. I guess my first instinct was right. He said to take it easy for a couple weeks because it could lead to a hernia if I lift too heavy too soon. A week or two off it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    alrighty just got back from the doctor's. I was afraid of a hernia, but he said it's just a pulled/mildly torn muscle. I guess my first instinct was right. He said to take it easy for a couple weeks because it could lead to a hernia if I lift too heavy too soon. A week or two off it is.
    I feel for you man, injuries suck. take it easy for a while and let it get better though so you can get right back to it.