Page 9 of 86 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to give this "Westside" training a shot

Banned
    Met up with a friend and did a random workout today.

Deadlift: 10x135, 3x225, 1x275, 1x300, 1x305(PR)

Then I screwed around with the oly set, learning how to do overhead squats and front squats. Apparently I don't have any balance because overhead was brutal. I think I'm going to mess around with the oly set after every workout to try and get the flexibility and balance down. It's certainly not heavy enough to be a "real" workout lol

OH Squats are one of two movements that every muscle in the body contracts. They're good stuff.

Nice PR!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Nearly onto a 3 plate dead, sweet work!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    OH Squats are one of two movements that every muscle in the body contracts. They're good stuff.

Nice PR!
    Thanks! I really want to get good at the olympic lifts, but I don't have the flexibility or balance yet. I'm going to do these after every workout for a couple weeks. Also, my traps feel like death today....

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Nearly onto a 3 plate dead, sweet work!
    Thanks man! I was tempted to go for 3 plates, but I didn't want to miss it. I'd rather wait a couple weeks and nail it next time.

awesome deadlift
    2000 or bust

Red, one of the only journals I look at. I remember looking at your squat numbers a few months ago and feeling bad about myself. Had to increase my leg strength :P

You can't use that exam crap as an excuse. I go to college and work nearly full-time and have time to make it into the gym!

When did you decide to start oly lifts? I've actually been wanting to do them myself, but my gym is not really equipped for that kind of thing, so I'll stick with my PL lifts.
    Last edited by Chris686; 04-22-2007 at 10:45 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    awesome deadlift
    Thanks guy, coming from a 17 year old who out number me in every way possible, that means a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    Red, one of the only journals I look at. I remember looking at your squat numbers a few months ago and feeling bad about myself. Had to increase my leg strength :P

You can't use that exam crap as an excuse. I go to college and work nearly full-time and have time to make it into the gym!

When did you decide to start oly lifts? I've actually been wanting to do them myself, but my gym is not really equipped for that kind of thing, so I'll stick with my PL lifts.
    Thanks man! My legs have always been a strength....look at my bench numbers and you'll see what I mean lol I know that school is no excuse, but I like to think that 3 of my hardest exams in 6 day is

Banned
    I'm a Frat Boy Day

Bench: 8x95, 5x115, 3x135, 2x140, 2x145
    Pullups: 4, 4, 3
    Snatch: 5x30kg, 3x40kg, 3x40kg, 3x40kg
    Hammer curls: 10x25, 10x20, 9x20
    Weight situps: 10x35, 9x35

I was working on my snatch form with a 15lb bar between sets of snatches. I feel like it's getting a lot better, but I need to get the catch a lot more consistent.
    Bench went well too (yes, that's a good session for me )

Solid workouts lately man. I havent really been checking in too much lately but your lookin strong. Keep it up man.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Solid workouts lately man. I havent really been checking in too much lately but your lookin strong. Keep it up man.
    Thanks! As usual, it feels like a snail's pace, but progress is progress

progress IS progress, i get excited at even a 1 rep increase. keep pushing
    2000 or bust

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Thanks! As usual, it feels like a snail's pace, but progress is progress
    Hey man.. chin up!!
    There is going to be a time where you go stagnant for a long time.. or worst, when your numbers actually go down!! If you are in the iron game for results, you need mental fortitude! No one said it would be easy!! So keep your chin up and keep lifting heavy and learn what works best for you. Progress is progress is progress... and you have it in you to keep progressing!!

GL man.. keep with it.. and keep it heavy...

...I was working on my snatch form with a 15lb bar between sets of snatches. ...
    I just got off work, am tired and can't help but lmao at the dirty thoughts that enter my head when reading this.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Nice lifting. Congrats with the DL PR! Double your bodyweight +5 is huge.

Banned
    Wow, it's geting busy in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    progress IS progress, i get excited at even a 1 rep increase. keep pushing
    Fo sho. Keep looking to better yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Hey man.. chin up!!
    There is going to be a time where you go stagnant for a long time.. or worst, when your numbers actually go down!! If you are in the iron game for results, you need mental fortitude! No one said it would be easy!! So keep your chin up and keep lifting heavy and learn what works best for you. Progress is progress is progress... and you have it in you to keep progressing!!

GL man.. keep with it.. and keep it heavy...
    Thanks for the motivation! I'm not looking forward to those massive plateaus lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    I just got off work, am tired and can't help but lmao at the dirty thoughts that enter my head when reading this.
    You should see what I say about those heavy jerks....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    Nice lifting. Congrats with the DL PR! Double your bodyweight +5 is huge.
    I'm waiting for 2.5xBW. THAT will be huge

Banned
    Started off playing around with some cleans and front squats between 30kg and 50kg. That ended up being more of a workout than I anticipated, so I went a little easy for the rest:

Front squats: 5x30kg, 3x40kg, 3x50kg, 3x50kg
    Full cleans: 3x40kg, 2x50kg, 2x50kg
    Olympic squats: 10x135, 5x185, 3x195, 3x205
    T-bar rows: 10xbar, 7xbar+25, 6xbar+25

Banned
    I'm back at home for the summer and need to find a place to train. I decided to try Humber College's gym which, as it turns out, is pretty ****ty. I thought there was a squat rack, but it was a smith machine

Leg press: 10x100, 10x150, 8x200, 8x250, 8x290
    Hang cleans: 3x3x115
    Push press: 5x115, 5x115, 4x115, 3x115
    pullups: 5, 4, 3
    Dips: 7, 5, 4, 2

Good workout, but I don't think I'll be going to this gym very often.

Banned
    Hell yeah, finally found a gym to train at
    I didn't go in with a set routine, so I kind of winged it:

Squat: 8x135, 4x185, 2x225, 2x245, 2x255
    SLDL: 9x135, 8x185, 5x185
    Close grip bench: 10x95, 8x105, 6x105
    Dips: 5, 4, 4

This is place is awesome! Lots of big and strong people - very humbling

Hell yeah, finally found a gym to train at...
    This is place is awesome! Lots of big and strong people - very humbling...
    Looking strong yourself, keep this up and you'll be bigger than those cats - …good deal on the gym.
    Last edited by Coke; 05-07-2007 at 05:55 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Looking strong yourself, keep this up and you'll be bigger than those cats - …good deal on the gym.
    haha thanks man I dunno if I wanna be bigger, I'm definately down with stronger

Banned
    DB Bench: 3, 3, 3, 2 x 50, 4, 4, 4, 4x40
    close grip bench: 5x105, 4, 4x95
    Bent over rows: 8,8,8x95
    lat pulldown: 5x135, 5,5x120

I wasn't able to find a gym with oly weights so I'm going to try Westside again. This time I'm not going to be dumb about it. I lift raw, so a lot of the Westside templates don't apply. I need to figure out my routine, but this was a DE bench day. I ended up lifting a lot less weight than I thought I would. Meh, my tris are shot and we'll see how ME bench goes

Hey man, I'm doing Westside too and I also lift RAW. It sucks since all of the routines involve gear and stuff. How come you were only doing 50 lbs on bench? Isn't it supposed to be 50% ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Hey man, I'm doing Westside too and I also lift RAW. It sucks since all of the routines involve gear and stuff. How come you were only doing 50 lbs on bench? Isn't it supposed to be 50% ?
    DB- Dumbell, 50X2=100lbs total = 50%+

Maybe i am wrong?
    21 | 6'1 | 180lbs
    Bench Press-165*7 | Squat-205*8 |Deadlift-205*5

------------------------------------------------

Check Out The SupRSmall Journal

DB Bench: 3, 3, 3, 2 x 50, 4, 4, 4, 4x40
    close grip bench: 5x105, 4, 4x95
    Bent over rows: 8,8,8x95
    lat pulldown: 5x135, 5,5x120

I wasn't able to find a gym with oly weights so I'm going to try Westside again. This time I'm not going to be dumb about it. I lift raw, so a lot of the Westside templates don't apply. I need to figure out my routine, but this was a DE bench day. I ended up lifting a lot less weight than I thought I would. Meh, my tris are shot and we'll see how ME bench goes
    All of the westside templates work for the RAW lifter, you just bump up the percentages 50%. IE for someone under 1 year training experience with a good technical form base but low strength levels (Think less than 300lbs bench in a 220lber, so me in other words..) should be using around 60% if they are using a shirt, and around 70% if they are RAW. Stronger you are, the lower the percentages go. I've only realized this after a year of training WS, after reading Super Training and the westside manuals i kept missing those important bits of info. My bench has suddendly gone up, along with setting up proper cycles for my ME and DE days. Come have a look at the last week or twos worth in my journal where you see I've started to list percentages on DE days, shoot me a PM if you don't follow me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    I'm using dumbells and I'm weak
    Quote Originally Posted by SupRsmall View Post
    DB- Dumbell, 50X2=100lbs total = 50%+

Maybe i am wrong?
    Nope, that's right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    All of the westside templates work for the RAW lifter, you just bump up the percentages 50%. IE for someone under 1 year training experience with a good technical form base but low strength levels (Think less than 300lbs bench in a 220lber, so me in other words..) should be using around 60% if they are using a shirt, and around 70% if they are RAW. Stronger you are, the lower the percentages go. I've only realized this after a year of training WS, after reading Super Training and the westside manuals i kept missing those important bits of info. My bench has suddendly gone up, along with setting up proper cycles for my ME and DE days. Come have a look at the last week or twos worth in my journal where you see I've started to list percentages on DE days, shoot me a PM if you don't follow me.
    Awesome, this is what I was trying to figure out. I was looking at those percentages thinking "50% of 170 lbs = " Thanks for the tips.