Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to give this "Westside" training a shot

Hybrid View

Banned

Rippetoe makes me strong!

I've hung around these forums for a while now, but finally decided to start a journal.

A little history
    I started off wanting to get big and defined. I gained 15 lbs (from 135 to about 150 lbs) and looked a lot bigger. Unfortunately, I'm a student and keeping up a healthy and (relatively) inexepensive diet of 3200 calories per day probably won't happen. So I've decided to maintain/slow bulk and get strong. I mean really strong. So what better way to do that than Westside?

Vital Stats
    Height: 5' 8.5"
    Weight: 148 lbs
    Bench: 145 lbs
    Squat: 265 lbs
    Dead lift: 265 lbs
    Total: 675 lbs

Diet
    I'm actually quite pleased with my diet. I regularly eat 3200 calories, always with at least 150 g protein and 75 g fat. For the most part I eat very clean, but it's not perfect. I actually enjoy cooking, so I buy foods in their most unprocessed form and make it myself. The only supplement I use is Nitrean - about 2 scoops per day, depending on how my protein/calorie intake is doing. I want to start taking creatine again, but I left it at home when I moved to school. Although it is cheap, I don't really want to buy another tub of it.

Goals

Long term:
    2xBW bench, 3xBW squat, 4xBW dead.

Short term:
    300 lb squat - I think I can do this in about 5 weeks
    300 lb deadlift - same kind of time frame
    200 lb bench press - maybe by Christmas. Not my strong spot, so progess is all I can ask for.

Routine
    I've set up my workout as follows:

Sunday: ME Squat/Deadlift
    Monday: ME Bench press
    Wednesday: DE Squat/Deadlift
    Thursday: DE Bench press

The reason for setting it up like this? I'm a student, I like to drink on fridays.

Today, being Sunday, I did my first attempt at ME Squat/Deadlift. Here's my workout:

Deadlift: 5x135, 3x185, 3x205, 2x225, 1x245, 1x255, 1x265
    Zercher Squats: 8x115, 7x135, 6x135
    Hanging Leg Raises: 10, 8
    Back Hyperextensions: 15, 12x10

Notes: I was pretty happy with this workout. I set a PR on deadlift, after barely working out during the summer. These 3 guys, who were half squatting 185, were starring at me as I kept adding weight to my deadlift. It's not that much weight, but I workout in a student gym full of curl and bench jockeys. Hey, at least they were doing legs. I wanted to do at least 3 sets of leg raises and hypers, but I felt very sick and tired. Next time I'm bringing a shake to sip on while working out...I needed something with calories.

So please feel free to make comments and give me suggestions - I like feed back, especially from the WBB crew!!
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 07-03-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Gl with your goals man. I recently got into powerlifting too, it's alot of fun.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Banned
    Ok so today I was supposed to be ME bench day...I was pretty pumped to work on my bench. I hate bench press, but I know it should start increasing pretty quick since it is so low right now.
    Anyways, I showed up at the gym and the weight room was PACKED. I mean so full there was barely enough room for some people to do their damn curls! So I said **** that and decided to go do some cardio for 20 minutes to see if it will quiet down. 20 minutes later, it's still busy. So I just did some random crap in the machine room: chins, abs, and quad extensions.

Lesson learned: go during the day, not at 8:15 PM. Apparently that time is popular. That or the whole "I'm back to school and I'm going to get in shape" crowd was there. No, seriously, it was busier than when the New Year's resoloution crowd hits.

ME Bench tommorow!

good stuff, I'll be checking in often to check on your progress.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Banned
    So here's the damage:

ME Bench

Bench Press: 7x115, 6x115, 4x125, 2x135, 1x135, 1x145
    Barbell Row: 10x75, 9x95, 8x100, 6x105
    Cable press downs: 6x60, 6x60, 5x60

Notes:
    I was pretty dissapointed with today, but mainly because of the ridculous number of people at the gym. I couldn't do the exercises I wanted and I couldn't even do them in the order I wanted. On the plus side I'm firly confident I could have done a 150 bench, if it weren't for the 2 sets at 135 and back work before it.

With any luck the beginning of the year rush should quiet down by next week or so.

are you training at your university gym?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    are you training at your university gym?
    Yup. The fees are included in tuition, so paying to go to another gym seems like a waste of money. Hopefully it'll calm down in a week or two. Otherwise I'll have to go in the morning *shudder*

Make sure your ME work is done first, before anything else. Also make sure you warmup sufficiently, but don't let the warmups interfere with your training. Here's how I would of structured the ME Bench:

45lbs x 10
    95lbs x 10
    115lbs x 3
    125lbs x 3
    135lbs x 1
    145lbs x 1
    155lbs x 1 (if you had it in you)

Just my 2 cents.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Make sure your ME work is done first, before anything else. Also make sure you warmup sufficiently, but don't let the warmups interfere with your training. Here's how I would of structured the ME Bench:

45lbs x 10
    95lbs x 10
    115lbs x 3
    125lbs x 3
    135lbs x 1
    145lbs x 1
    155lbs x 1 (if you had it in you)

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks! I'm new to this whole thing. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I could have hit 150 or 155 if I hadn't done that extra one at 135.

Keep the advice coming people!

What kind of lifts are you using for your ME Upper and ME lower? You can take a look at my journal to see some **** I've been doing.

Banned
    What kind of lifts are you using for your ME Upper and ME lower? You can take a look at my journal to see some **** I've been doing.
    ME Upper I was planning on rotating between regular bench, high/low pin presses, incline, decline, etc.

ME Lower I was thinking regular deads, rack pulls, box squats (if I can find a box), regular squats, partial squats, squats starting at the bottom (don't know what they're called)

Just find you a couple and rotate from there. Too much rotation isn't necessary, especially at this point in your PLing career. I think you'll find, as I did, that you'll also need to do the actual lifts a lot more than what WSB calls for.

Banned
    Just find you a couple and rotate from there. Too much rotation isn't necessary, especially at this point in your PLing career. I think you'll find, as I did, that you'll also need to do the actual lifts a lot more than what WSB calls for.
    So, for ME Lower, should I just rotate Squat and deads every week? And for lower, should I just do bench and, say, close grip bench?

I thought it was a lot of variation as well, but it makes sense that it is designed for more advanced lifters.

I normally rotate in board presses, CGBP and regular bench. As for lower, I'll rotate in between Low Box, High Box, and Deads. I'll end up using GMs for assistance work and usually end up doing some squat variation or DL variation every week. I just feel like I need more time on the competition lifts in order to keep the right groove.

Banned
    DE Squat/Deadlift

speed squat: 3x155, 3x155, 2x155, 2x155, 2x155, 2x160, 2x160, 2x160
    Speed deads: 2x135, 2x185, 2x185, 1x185
    Weighted crunches: 12x25, 10x35, 10x35
    Leg curls: 12x77, 12x77, 10x88 <-- damn you metric machine...

Notes
    I was quite pleased with my squats. The bar was under control and I felt the speed stay constant, even when I added a little more weight. The deads were good, except I forgot that I was supposed to be doing singles until the end. I wasn't moving as quickly with these I would like to have been, but that's why I'm working on them. Abs were good - never used a 35lb plate before...
    I originally intended on doing glute-ham raises, but apparently my gym doesn't have the machine for it I thought I could get away with using the back hyperextension thing, but that didn't go over so well. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    ...I originally intended on doing glute-ham raises, but apparently my gym doesn't have the machine for it I thought I could get away with using the back hyperextension thing, but that didn't go over so well. Any suggestions?
    Try using the lat pulldown machine. Get the seat and the pad that goes across your knees close together, so that when you kneel on the seat your heels can hook under the pad that goes over your knees. Then rep away.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman
    Try using the lat pulldown machine. Get the seat and the pad that goes across your knees close together, so that when you kneel on the seat your heels can hook under the pad that goes over your knees. Then rep away.
    That's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman
    that is an awesome idea! you are my new hero

Redspikey: solid past few workouts, GMs really are the **** eh

Banned
    Here are yesterday's results:

DE Bench

Speed Bench: 3x95, 3x95, 3x95, 3x95, 3x100, 3x100, 3x100, 3x105
    Military Press: 10x45, 8x70, 5x70, 5x65
    Lat Pulldown: 8x100, 8x110, 6x120, 5x120
    Hammer curls: 8x20, 6x25, 5x25

Notes
    Again, pleased with my bar speed and control. I felt very comfortable with the weight and felt my form was improving. I'm very sure I'll hit 150 on ME day, possibly more.

I think I'm going to rotate deads and squats for my ME lower day for a few weeks to help with form. I agree with Chubrock that, for rookies like me, practice with the big 3 is more important than variet right now. As for bench, I'm going to continue to max out on bench until my gains slow down.

Banned
    ME Squat/Deadlift

Squat: 5x135, 3x185, 2x225, 1x245, 1x265, missx275
    GM: 8x65, 8x95, 8x115
    Hypers:15x10, 15x15, 12x15
    Crunches: 15x35, 13x35, 11x35

Notes

I was going for a new PR, but that didn't go over so well. A couple of factors contributed to that miss: I got cocky and probably should have gone for 270 and I was a little dehydrated from drinking the night before (not hungover, though). I was very happy with my bar speed on 225 and 245. 260 was tough, but not as hard as last time I tried.
    This is the first time I've ever done GMs. They are ****ing great!! I would have done more weight, but my back was screaming at me from squats. I also didn't know how much to go up to, so I was taking it easy.
    The hypers and crunches were much better than my last workout. Overall, I feel I've improved my technique a lot in one week!

hehe, thanks you two. I am quite the smarty ain't I.

*pats self on back*

Alas, I can't take credit for the idea though. More than a few here a WBB do them, or have done them, that way. It just gets lost amongst all the workouts posted and needs to be brought up every once in a while, so others can learn the secret WBB tricks.

Now this is classified info, so don't tell any outsiders, or we'll have to kill you. lol
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Banned
    ME Bench
    Bench Press: 10xbar, 4x95, 3x115, 1x135, 1x150, 1x155
    Barbell row: 8x100, 7x105, 5x115
    Cable press down: 8x50, 8x60, 6x70

Notes
    Ok so I was ****ing thrilled with this workout! Not only did I set a new PR, but I cleared it by 10 lbs It think my tricep strength must have gone up in the last weeks because my press downs went through the roof too!

Banned
    DE Squat/Deadlift

Box Squats: 10x115, 2x135, 2x155, 2x155, 2x155, 2x155, 2x155, 2x155, 2x155
    Rack Pulls: 8x185, 8x205, 8x225
    Weighted Crunches: 15x35, 14x35, 8x35
    Leg curls: 15x66, 15x77, 10x77

Notes
    Two new exercises today: box squats and rack pulls. Although the box was a little high (it's not adjustable ), they went well. They were a little awkward at first, but got better. I was going for an explosive movement, but whenever I did that I went up on my toes. Any ideas?
    The rack pulls were good, except my grip started giving out. I can't hold that much weight for 8 reps!
    Finally, I went to try glute ham raises on the lat pulldown machine - unfortunately, the seat is so narrow that I couldn't rest my knees on it while putting my feet under the pad. Any other ideas?

Powerlifting for the win, i'll be watching this journal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Powerlifting for the win, i'll be watching this journal.
    I'm starting to get an audience - hope I don't screw it up