The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

Banned

Rippetoe makes me strong!

I've hung around these forums for a while now, but finally decided to start a journal.

A little history
    I started off wanting to get big and defined. I gained 15 lbs (from 135 to about 150 lbs) and looked a lot bigger. Unfortunately, I'm a student and keeping up a healthy and (relatively) inexepensive diet of 3200 calories per day probably won't happen. So I've decided to maintain/slow bulk and get strong. I mean really strong. So what better way to do that than Westside?

Vital Stats
    Height: 5' 8.5"
    Weight: 148 lbs
    Bench: 145 lbs
    Squat: 265 lbs
    Dead lift: 265 lbs
    Total: 675 lbs

Diet
    I'm actually quite pleased with my diet. I regularly eat 3200 calories, always with at least 150 g protein and 75 g fat. For the most part I eat very clean, but it's not perfect. I actually enjoy cooking, so I buy foods in their most unprocessed form and make it myself. The only supplement I use is Nitrean - about 2 scoops per day, depending on how my protein/calorie intake is doing. I want to start taking creatine again, but I left it at home when I moved to school. Although it is cheap, I don't really want to buy another tub of it.

Goals

Long term:
    2xBW bench, 3xBW squat, 4xBW dead.

Short term:
    300 lb squat - I think I can do this in about 5 weeks
    300 lb deadlift - same kind of time frame
    200 lb bench press - maybe by Christmas. Not my strong spot, so progess is all I can ask for.

Routine
    I've set up my workout as follows:

Sunday: ME Squat/Deadlift
    Monday: ME Bench press
    Wednesday: DE Squat/Deadlift
    Thursday: DE Bench press

The reason for setting it up like this? I'm a student, I like to drink on fridays.

Today, being Sunday, I did my first attempt at ME Squat/Deadlift. Here's my workout:

Deadlift: 5x135, 3x185, 3x205, 2x225, 1x245, 1x255, 1x265
    Zercher Squats: 8x115, 7x135, 6x135
    Hanging Leg Raises: 10, 8
    Back Hyperextensions: 15, 12x10

Notes: I was pretty happy with this workout. I set a PR on deadlift, after barely working out during the summer. These 3 guys, who were half squatting 185, were starring at me as I kept adding weight to my deadlift. It's not that much weight, but I workout in a student gym full of curl and bench jockeys. Hey, at least they were doing legs. I wanted to do at least 3 sets of leg raises and hypers, but I felt very sick and tired. Next time I'm bringing a shake to sip on while working out...I needed something with calories.

So please feel free to make comments and give me suggestions - I like feed back, especially from the WBB crew!!
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 07-03-2008 at 04:15 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!