Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep bulking or cut? Advice please!

Keep bulking or cut? Advice please!

Hi,

I started lifting weights in april 2006, and weighed in at a mighty 155lbs (skinny, no real muscle) at 5'10. Ive been bulking since then following chris masons 15lbs in a month plan, then wbb1.

I now weigh 185lbs, so thats 30lbs in about 5 months ish. However Ive put on quite a lot of fat doing this... I much prefer being bigger, but the gut is starting to annoy me!

I dont have 'before' pics, but here's some 'after' ones, flexed/unflexed.

So, should i stick with it? Or Cut?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cobra, Curry and the Gibson Flying V.

keep bulking, but slow it down a lot, eat just a few hundred cals over maintenance, and shoot for +1lb every week or two, that'll help minimize fat gain while still increasing muscle mass.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

I would say cut.

At lower bf, you gain more muscle less fat thereby making you look better sooner and gaining more muscle faster.
    Max Lifts:------------------ Goals
    Bench Press: 215lbs------- 250lbs
    Squat:300lbs------------ 300 lbs
    Deadlift: 335------------ 350 lbs
    ----------------------
    Total: 850lbs ---------- 900 lbs

any idea what bf% i am?

i'd say 18-20%

I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

I would also guess just under 20
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Banned
    I'd cut. Look into HIIT. You should look good after a sound cut. Then clean bulk, cut again, rinse, repeat.................

Quote Originally Posted by Bohizzle
    keep bulking, but slow it down a lot, eat just a few hundred cals over maintenance, and shoot for +1lb every week or two, that'll help minimize fat gain while still increasing muscle mass.
    This is the only good advice in this thread. I agree with the bf estimates.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I think a nice and very slow bulk might be a good idea. I mean really, really slow and lift heavy like a mad man.

Cheers for the replies! Im getting quite conflicting advice though...

I dont think the belly is too bad at the moment, but Im concerned that if i keep bulking it will just get bigger and bigger!

To be honest, I havent tracked my calories in the slightest. I decided to bulk up, then started eating everything and anything, wherever and whenever, whilst lifting weights 3 times a week.

I may continue to bulk, but cut out all the crap I eat, like huge mountains of curry!

Do you think Id look weird at 200 pounds? I only ask as i come from a family of naturally slim people, im now the heaviest by a fair bit already!

Any more advice would be appreciated, as Im still on the fence.
    Last edited by Beno79; 09-11-2006 at 03:26 PM.

Yes, your gonna get conflicting advise. We all have different perceptions of what "high body fat" is, and what kind of body we think looks right. You can get some good ideas from the forums, but the decision whether to bulk or cut has to be yours.

If you really wanna get bigger and don't mind getting chubby, then go for it and bulk up.

If you can't stand your body fat as it is, and couldn't think of gaining any more weight, then cut.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

I think i may continue bulking, but just try and eat better, cut out deserts and junk etc.

What sort of weight do you think I should aim for before cutting? Or should bf% dictate that?

cut when u feel u are getting too fat/are not comfortable with ur level of bf. if ur health becomes an issue, by all means cut, but don't cut just cuz "it's healthy to be anorexic".

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by KarateBoy

At lower bf, you gain more muscle less fat thereby making you look better sooner and gaining more muscle faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    It is something to do with how your body puts on muscle at a greater ratio to fat based on bf levels or something. Lyle wrote a whole bunch about it on his board, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by KarateBoy
    I would say cut.

That makes no sense at all.

I say continue on with the bulk, but cut back on the cals a bit. Winter is coming and you'll have no reason to walk around with a shirt off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    That makes no sense at all.

I say continue on with the bulk, but cut back on the cals a bit. Winter is coming and you'll have no reason to walk around with a shirt off anyway.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core3.htm

read this

Uh, Sidio, I know what your talking about, but how did you get that from his post. Not denying what you said, but karateboy's post didn't make any sense...
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain
    Uh, Sidio, I know what your talking about, but how did you get that from his post. Not denying what you said, but karateboy's post didn't make any sense...
    Ya, he typed like a ****tard but I thought that was the point he was trying to make. I gave him the benefit of the doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    Ya, he typed like a ****tard but I thought that was the point he was trying to make. I gave him the benefit of the doubt
    Read that before, but the way he said it was just far too general and still doesn't really work for me. Oh well, close enough I guess.

I would be inclined to agree that partioning tends to be better for people who start leaner (I'll trust Lyle on this one), but the bottom line is this: if someone who's nearly 6' tall and weighs 170 pounds tells you to cut, then that individual almost certainly has different goals from someone who is trying to get big(ger), and any advice given by said individual should be considered within this context.

Beno: Do a slower bulk. Use Fitday. Find your maintenance, bump your calories up slowly, and learn to target a lot of your carbs/calories around workouts.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Lift heavy weights at least 4x a week. Do some cardio and/or HIIT. Eat more protein and less carbs.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Ive read all of that article by Lyle now, and found it quite interesting. Assuming im 18-20% bf, I definetely need to cut down to 10-12% according to that article.

Has anyone here cut from 20% to 10% in one go? How long did it take?

Personally I dont feel quite ready to cut, the prospect of dieting is not appealing!

Im still leaning towards bulking for a little longer, exactly how long for im not sure? Any thoughts?

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    I cut down from about 34% to 15% in one shot... Towards the end, I really lost focus. It ended up being a 7 month cut -- too long -- in my opinion. For 6 weeks after that cut I ate around 5,000 calories a day and gained about 20 pounds (12 of which were fat)... Then I started a cut again. So, I started back around 20% and am back down to about 15% after two months.

I think going from 20% to 10% in one shot is going to be difficult... The leaner you are, the hungrier you are it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    I cut down from about 34% to 15% in one shot... Towards the end, I really lost focus. It ended up being a 7 month cut -- too long -- in my opinion. For 6 weeks after that cut I ate around 5,000 calories a day and gained about 20 pounds (12 of which were fat)... Then I started a cut again. So, I started back around 20% and am back down to about 15% after two months.

I think going from 20% to 10% in one shot is going to be difficult... The leaner you are, the hungrier you are it seems.
    did you lose much muscle on such a big cut?

And do most people here agree that im 20%bf?