The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squattin' In A Smith Machine

G'day guys and gals,

At the quaint lil' gym I'm currently going to, they don't have a squat rack! In place of this they have a smith machine, which I've been using for my squats so far.

I'm just curious, is this going to put me at a disadvantage, will it cause me to have bad form if i ever wanted to squat with free weights?

thanks all.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, it's technically working the same muscle groups so if it's all you got, then that's fine. However, you can alter the stance dramatically in a smith machine so it turns into more of a hack squat (if you stand far ahead). Just try and set up as you would a normal squat and you should be fine. However, once you switch to normal free squats, it's a different feel completely.

If it's all you got then use it. You'll get stronger, just don't expect to free squat the same weight as you cna in a Smith, it's a different exercise entirely. The proper way to squat in a Smith is to start with your feet in front of you and sit down to parallel. When you hit parallel, your shins should be perpendicular with the floor (if you look down, you should be able to see your feet ahead of your knees). Don't try to squat in a Smith the way you would with a barbell, you'll end up hurting yourself.

Another option is to hold the machine across your back and squat it

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I like option number two.

Thanks guys for the super quick responses ;-)

lol HeavyBomber i was just watching some of your vids trying to get my technique down for squats :P
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I appreciate that tomv but my technique on squats shouldn't be used in a smith. I use a lot of posterior in my squats. Doing this inside the confines of the smith could mess your back up.
    -Drew is right about this.

Cheers Guys, all help is appreciated. So the furthest i should go down in a smith is to parallel?

Will this majorly affect my posterior chain? I still wanna get that squat ass and good strong hammies / calves.
    My Journal

I'd get out of the smith machine right now. You'll teach yourself faulty movement patterns with practically no carry over into squats or real life situations. Get out, get out, get out. There are TONS of other things you can do until you find a squat rack.

Front squats, zercher squats, deadlifts, lunges, over head squats, thrusters, cleans, jumping, etc.
    Last edited by Anthony; 09-11-2006 at 09:32 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I'd get out of the squat rack right now.
    Cheers anthony... you mean get out of the smith right dude?

But thanks for the tips, i'll start giving them a try i already do deads for back
    My Journal

I don't think that you can safely develop your posterior chain with a smith machine, period.

You can definately do a lot for your quads, and I think this is why they are so popular.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by tomv
    Cheers anthony... you mean get out of the smith right dude?

But thanks for the tips, i'll start giving them a try i already do deads for back
    Oops, yes, out of the smith and into the rack.

lol thanks much guys. So try and drop the smith machine because it'll teach me improper movement patterns and starting doing other variations of squats?
    My Journal

Exactly. There are tons of things you can do (mentioned in my first post) that will keep you occupied until you can find a squat rack.

Something that I do but it does limit your max squat, depending on your max clean.

I clean the weight then shrug it on to my back and squat away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Guy
    Something that I do but it does limit your max squat, depending on your max clean.

I clean the weight then shrug it on to my back and squat away.
    That would severely limit most people's squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I'd get out of the smith machine right now. You'll teach yourself faulty movement patterns with practically no carry over into squats or real life situations. Get out, get out, get out. There are TONS of other things you can do until you find a squat rack.

Front squats, zercher squats, deadlifts, lunges, over head squats, thrusters, cleans, jumping, etc.
    Don't forget, though - he doesn't have a rack to put the bar on (or to catch it if he fails a rep) doing overheads or front squats. That could be dangerous.