The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Workout routine without Deadlift?

Hey so i dont know **** thats why i need yalls advice. i work out in my room. been working for about 10 months on a routine my dad set me up with and i changed it to the WBB routine #1 which wasn't much different 2 months ago. except i dont do the squats or deadlifts because i was in a bad car accident 5 months ago and my lower back has not fully recovered and if i hurt it again i cant work very well(mechanic). so what am i missing out on? are those workouts really essential? ive squatted once since the wreck at gym on a visitor pass and was told i did really good though. thanks for any help

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try DB squats
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/DBSquat.html

They won't place as much stress on your back as regular BB squats.

Wannabebig Member
    yea but i can only fit so much weight on the db's

What kind of set of do you have? Give us a little more information. (Sorry about the crash.)

What's your current routine? How about lunges? Or, even better: one-fotted DB squats. Just prop a leg on your bed or other stole behind you and squat one-footed.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    What kind of set of do you have? Give us a little more information. (Sorry about the crash.)

What's your current routine? How about lunges? Or, even better: one-fotted DB squats. Just prop a leg on your bed or other stole behind you and squat one-footed.
    ive got a bench with an attachment to do leg curls and calve raises Etc... barbell and adjustable dumbells.

my routine lately has been the WBB weight training routine #1 except more reps:
    Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps (don't do this)
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps (don't do this)
    Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps (not this one)
    Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps (nor this one)
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF
    Last edited by Daniel TRISTAN; 09-10-2006 at 09:21 PM.

I would say leg extensions are very hard on your legs and not good for them.

Put in one-legged squats and lunges. (Can you picture a one-legged squat?) Just raise one leg behind you and rest it on a surface a foot or so high. Or, is this too much pressure on you? Use DBs or BBs.

Wannabebig Member
    But is doing the deadlift important? thats my real problem cause my lower back is fuct

Yuo can't do most exercises safely if you can't deadlift.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Huh!? Care to explain.

Walking lunges are an excellent leg exercise and are very easy on the back. I love them.

Banned
    Huh!? Care to explain.
    I think he means if your back is punched it is going to be hard to squat, milli press, or do basically any exercise where the weight is on or pushing down on your back.

On the other hand, very light deads and/or hyperextensions might help you rehab your back. Talk to a doc and find out what a professional has to say.

I would say leg extensions are very hard on your legs and not good for them.
    I constantly see dudes at the college gym with knee cartiledge injuries using the leg extension machine. if it's bad, why use it for rehab?

lj
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010
    Bench Press 325x1 8/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoDude
    I constantly see dudes at the college gym with knee cartiledge injuries using the leg extension machine. if it's bad, why use it for rehab?

lj
    It depends on how you do them. 12-15 reps of moderate weight and good control over the weight's motion...not so bad.

4 reps of super heavy weight...that's hard on the knees.

to the OP...how about romanian deadlifts? a lot less strain on the lower back, but still works it to some degree via stabilization.

has the doc said your back will ever be normal? did you go through physical therapy for it?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    I think he means if your back is punched it is going to be hard to squat, milli press, or do basically any exercise where the weight is on or pushing down on your back.
    Correct. Thanks for clarifying.

If you can't do deadlifts with 95lb on a barbell, why in the world do you think you can safely pick up two 50lbs to do some presses?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

If your lower back is not fully recovered, you should be doing rehab. Talk to your doctor/physical therapist for more advice.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    well all he does is give me strong pills and im tired of being high all the time. unfortuneately i hurt it bad enough to cause some very painfull problems for a while but nothing is damaged enough to where it would need surgical or physical repair(atleast thats what i think he said) i'm supposed to rest it get it hot and take the drugs for as long as it takes. but i can deadlift and i do a deadlift once or twice to do my shrugs. no problem just hurts a little but i will not do anything more than that or it'll hurt for a week. So yes with a little pain and strain i can deadlift 130-160 lbs. on my still recovering back if only for a moment.