Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: CHEAP WHEY PROTEIN at MEIJER STORES!

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    464

    CHEAP WHEY PROTEIN at MEIJER STORES!

    Bought a ton of Body Fortress Whey protein at Meijer in Michigan this weekend. Only 12 bucks for a 2 - pound tub. 30 servings per container. 1/3 price of GNC in the USA and 1/4 price of GNC here in Ontario for whey protein isolates. Check it out and save some cash! HUAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!

    Just made a postworkout shake with skim milk, the vanilla flavored protein powder, and frozen strawberries. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


  2. #2
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    I recently paid $25 for a 5lb tub of Myoplex, including shipping.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  3. #3
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Where in the crap did you get that kind of deal on Myoplex?

    I was going to get 20 pounds of ON Whey for $110 or something... but that myoplex for that money is a better deal me thinks. Actually for the money, Nitrean is the best value.

  4. #4
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    I looked for it on Amazon.com and one of their linked suppliers was having a sale. I lub Amazon.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  5. #5
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Where in the crap did you get that kind of deal on Myoplex?

    I was going to get 20 pounds of ON Whey for $110 or something... but that myoplex for that money is a better deal me thinks. Actually for the money, Nitrean is the best value.
    How do you figure?

    Nitrean: 24g protein/serving * 70 servings/container = 1680 grams

    1 tub of Nitrean is $35.95 + $5.95 shipping = $41.90

    This works out to 1680g/$41.90 = 40.1 grams/$

    Constrast this to a 10 lb. bag of ON from DPS:

    ON Gold Standard: 24g protein/serving * 160 servings/bag = 3840 grams

    1 10 lb. bag is $52.99 + $4.90 = $57.89

    This works out to 3840g/$57.89 = 66.33 grams/$, which is clearly a better deal than Nitrean.

    For an even better deal, try here: www.allthewhey.com

    If you can stand to buy a 25 lb. bag of 1 flavor, you can get 90g/$.

    I realize there are other factors to consider such as taste and mixibility, but both of the ones I listed above are fine in those areas. However, when someone says value, the way I did above is the most objective way to look at it.

    To be fair, I ordered a tub of Nitrean during the recent sale to try it for myself. However, if the taste and mixibility of a protein are sufficient, cost becomes the overriding factor for me. A protein that costs twice as much is not going to yield me twice the muscle gains, all other things being equal.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 09-11-2006 at 12:23 PM.

  6. #6
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    I recently paid $25 for a 5lb tub of Myoplex, including shipping.
    That's good, although I found Myoplex's whey to have terrible mixibility. The last straw was when I bought a 5 lb. tub from them and only got 58 scoops out of it, when it should have had 80 (yes, I kept track).

  7. #7
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    That's good, although I found Myoplex's whey to have terrible mixibility. The last straw was when I bought a 5 lb. tub from them and only got 58 scoops out of it, when it should have had 80 (yes, I kept track).
    Like a spaz I have 3 tubs of whey at home, each with its own purpose: 1 (Nitrean) for bedtime snack, or second lunch at work because it's very filling and shakes up very easily. 1 (ON 100%) for post workout shakes when I workout near my house, which is when I don't get protein shakes at the gym and require a fast/tasty water/whey shake as soon as I get home, and ON shakes up very easly also. 1 (Myoplex) strictly for the serving of protein I take with me to the gym that's closer to work and have them mix my protein into the shake I get there, so the Myoplex gets blended in and that comes out fine.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  8. #8
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    How do you figure?

    Nitrean: 24g protein/serving * 70 servings/container = 1680 grams

    1 tub of Nitrean is $35.95 + $5.95 shipping = $41.90

    This works out to 1680g/$41.90 = 40.1 grams/$

    Constrast this to a 10 lb. bag of ON from DPS:

    ON Gold Standard: 24g protein/serving * 160 servings/bag = 3840 grams

    1 10 lb. bag is $52.99 + $4.90 = $57.89

    This works out to 3840g/$57.89 = 66.33 grams/$, which is clearly a better deal than Nitrean.

    For an even better deal, try here: www.allthewhey.com

    If you can stand to buy a 25 lb. bag of 1 flavor, you can get 90g/$.

    I realize there are other factors to consider such as taste and mixibility, but both of the ones I listed above are fine in those areas. However, when someone says value, the way I did above is the most objective way to look at it.

    To be fair, I ordered a tub of Nitrean during the recent sale to try it for myself. However, if the taste and mixibility of a protein are sufficient, cost becomes the overriding factor for me. A protein that costs twice as much is not going to yield me twice the muscle gains, all other things being equal.

    Nitrean isnt a whey isolate, its a whey/casin/egg mix and is a much better product then whey alone.

  9. #9
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Nitrean isnt a whey isolate, its a whey/casin/egg mix and is a much better product then whey alone.
    Define "better". I'm not convinced that I am going to build a noticeably greater amount of muscle if I substitue Nitrean for my ON whey, or at least not enough more to justify the significant price increase.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 09-11-2006 at 06:56 PM.

  10. #10
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Whey is a fast acting, quickly metabloized protein. Casin on the other hand is a slow acting protein which means if you take your last shake an night, you would probably make it through the night with continous protein supply (between the whey/egg/casin).

  11. #11
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Whey is a fast acting, quickly metabloized protein. Casin on the other hand is a slow acting protein which means if you take your last shake an night, you would probably make it through the night with continous protein supply (between the whey/egg/casin).
    True, although I could simply mix some whey in with milk and natty PB and achieve the same effect. The absorption rate of a meal is affected by everything in it.

  12. #12
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    With much more fats and carbs that way, but pick your poision I guess.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    100
    Costco sells a mix, $25 for 6 lbs.

    It tastes yummy too.

  14. #14
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    With much more fats and carbs that way, but pick your poision I guess.
    Right, because healthy fats and carbs have no place in a healthy diet...

    I guess if you eat meals that consist of nothing but protein, and you want it to be absorbed more slowly then whey, then Nitrean would be the better choice. Whether that is worth the price premium is something each person will have to decide for themselves.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 09-12-2006 at 09:13 AM.

  15. #15
    Journalist galileo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    With much more fats and carbs that way, but pick your poision I guess.
    Although I support AtLarge, "much more" is hilarious to me. You have no evidence to back that up, you're just defending your point with a vagary.

    Blends have their place in diets as do isolates. Your personal preference is what matters, not the status quo.

  16. #16
    Senior Member MantiXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    True, although I could simply mix some whey in with milk and natty PB and achieve the same effect. The absorption rate of a meal is affected by everything in it.
    Of course to be consistent and keep things 'equal', you now have to take into consideration the cost of the milk and natty PB to equal the same type of proteins..LOL...

    As for me, I l've got 3 different tubs of protein here at work, and 2 at home... I keep the nitrean for post workout and before bed each night....

    The others are simple different flavours of whey.. (which seems to digest VERY fast, I'm hungry like crazy after the whey/water combo)...

    Peace out...

  17. #17
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    Although I support AtLarge, "much more" is hilarious to me. You have no evidence to back that up, you're just defending your point with a vagary.

    Blends have their place in diets as do isolates. Your personal preference is what matters, not the status quo.

    There is plenty of evidence to back up what I say. All you need to do is compare some labels and bingo you have just that evidence you seem to require.

    Look at a natty PB label and then a milk label and compare to that of nitreans, specifically the fats and carbohydrates.

    @ Special K

    For the average person on a "free" bulk, any type of protein source would be fine and the extra carbs and fats would be fine. You also have to remember that the peanut butter and milk arn't free, unless you gots the hook ups.

    What types of fats or carbs they are do not matter here, when someone who is on a strict bulk or cut needs quality protein with no other additional nutrients they would want Nitrean.

    I dont want to sound like a sales man here, but your also comparing ON at about half of its retail price. I understand you can get it for "X" price, but its less then half of what it retails for... so keep that in mind as well.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 09-12-2006 at 12:23 PM.

  18. #18
    Journalist galileo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,289
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    There is plenty of evidence to back up what I say. All you need to do is compare some labels and bingo you have just that evidence you seem to require.

    Look at a natty PB label and then a milk label and compare to that of nitreans, specifically the fats and carbohydrates.
    My apologies, it looked very much like you were speaking to the amount of fat and carbs it would take to slow down digestion relative to a blend, which was the nature of the discussion.

  19. #19
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Ok, I might be missing something here but explain this to me. The WBB community seems very anti-GNC, with most of the explanations I've seen saying GNC is expensive. However, I can get 2 6lb tubs of whey from GNC for about $56 (with the gold card discount). That's 180 servings for $56. What gives? Is GNC whey crap or something?

  20. #20
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,854
    body fortress might be the worst protein powder out there.

    seriously. pay a couple more bucks for something decent.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  21. #21
    Eat and be marry...
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    102
    I Am not going to get in a debate with anyone, but for anyone who doesn't mind spending $ on protein... Isopure ( Zerocarb or not) is wonderful. I am really talking about the fruit flavored...alpine punch, grape frost, apple melon, etc. I get it on prosource.net for around $29. 2lbs. It is great if you are lactose intolerant or are just sick of the same ol thick shake. You don't even need a "shaker" bottle. It'll mix in any bottle with a little shake, and it doesn't settle if you you drink slow. If you are cutting the zero carb is great. It takes well with creatine or betagen and such.
    Just in case anyone is interested!
    Last edited by TKO; 09-12-2006 at 03:30 PM.
    Peace out...Lexie!

  22. #22
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso
    Ok, I might be missing something here but explain this to me. The WBB community seems very anti-GNC, with most of the explanations I've seen saying GNC is expensive. However, I can get 2 6lb tubs of whey from GNC for about $56 (with the gold card discount). That's 180 servings for $56. What gives? Is GNC whey crap or something?
    GNC Charged me like 53$ for a 5lb tub of 100% Optimum Nutrition Whey (Double Rich Choclate). I can get unopened 10 pound bags of the same stuff on ebay for like 49$ plus shipping, basically half the price if you buy 20 pounds at once (shipping on the second is like 3$).

    Thats why GNC sucks, as to their own personal brand I cannot speak of (price nor quailty) as I've yet to try it.

  23. #23
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    @ Special K

    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    For the average person on a "free" bulk, any type of protein source would be fine and the extra carbs and fats would be fine. You also have to remember that the peanut butter and milk arn't free, unless you gots the hook ups.
    Agreed, the milk and PB do cost money themselves, however they would also factor in to your total calorie count for the day. With the Nitrean, you would still have to buy more food to get those carbs and fat if you were trying to reach the same total calories for the day.

    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    What types of fats or carbs they are do not matter here, when someone who is on a strict bulk or cut needs quality protein with no other additional nutrients they would want Nitrean.
    Define "quality". Is ON 100% whey not quality? What about a grilled chicken breast? Is that not quality? What about fish or lean ground beef? Heck, they even have the advantage of being absorbed relatively slowly like Nitrean. I see people preach all the time on here that "whole foods are best".

    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    I dont want to sound like a sales man here, but your also comparing ON at about half of its retail price. I understand you can get it for "X" price, but its less then half of what it retails for... so keep that in mind as well.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the argument. So what if it "retails" for $X? Anyone can buy it online for the price I listed, you don't need a coupon or anything. It "retails" online for what I posted. You don't need some secret inside connection to get it for that price, and you would be a fool to pay more when you can easily get it for less.

    Face it, any way you look at it, the Nitrean is more expensive than ON. If I were to replace all of my protein with Nitrean and track the amount of money I spent over a year on protein, I guarantee you it would go up significantly. Whether or not the Nitrean is worth the increased cost is up to each person to decide, just as with anything else for sale, but the fact is it is more expensive than ON.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 09-12-2006 at 06:10 PM.

  24. #24
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Ill agree that it costs more. But there seems to be some misunderstandings...

    When I say a quality source of protein, I mean a source with little to no other nutrients present. Protein is protein is protein all day long, but some source's are closer to "pure" then others. With milk you get fat and carbs (which you may or may not want), the same with peanut butter.

    Nitrean may be more expensive, but its because its not just a whey isolate but wrather a blend of whey/egg/casin which is the reason for the added cost. Its worth its weight in gold for those who want "clean" sources of protein.

  25. #25
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Ill agree that it costs more. But there seems to be some misunderstandings...

    When I say a quality source of protein, I mean a source with little to no other nutrients present. Protein is protein is protein all day long, but some source's are closer to "pure" then others. With milk you get fat and carbs (which you may or may not want), the same with peanut butter.

    Nitrean may be more expensive, but its because its not just a whey isolate but wrather a blend of whey/egg/casin which is the reason for the added cost. Its worth its weight in gold for those who want "clean" sources of protein.
    Let's see:

    Nitrean (per 30g scoop):
    1g fat
    <2 g carbs (I guess that makes it 1.5?)
    24g protein

    ON (per 29.4g scoop):
    1g fat
    3g carbs
    24g protein

    Wow, a whole 1.5g carb difference, that's huge. I guess if you consumed upwards of 10 scoops per day, the Nitrean might make a significant difference. Unless you are an elite pro BBer, I don't see how 1.5g of carbs is going to make a difference either way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •