Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1st day on diet. Hows it look

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

My diet (Revised added fat) !

Im 18 and about 260.. Trying to lose wieght. Go the the gym for cardio everday 30-40 station bike then I do some heavy compound lifts.. Anyways here it is:
    Total: 2363
    Fat: 37 331 15%
    Sat: 6 55 2%
    Poly: 6 54 2%
    Mono: 10 92 4%
    Carbs: 204 685 31%
    Fiber: 33 0 0%
    Protein: 302 1208 54%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%
    Last edited by Par58; 09-14-2006 at 08:56 PM.

You could do with doubling your fat intake. There's plenty of room to drop protein to compensate.

You are doing better then i did when i started

If it was me i would aim for 2000 cal a day but thats just me.
    Height = 6ft
    current weight = 205
    starting weight = 300

Lift before cardio. Double your fats, and drop protein or carbs to conpensate.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    Ok.. Whats a good source of fat? Should i aim for more monos? Also will lifting interfere with the wieght loss?

Extra virgin olive oil, natty peanut butter, most nuts...

No, weightlifting will help.
    Last edited by ddegroff; 09-14-2006 at 10:13 AM.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Training
    Why would dropping protein benefit him? I understand about the carbs..
    Starting over...

Quote Originally Posted by Al3X
    Why would dropping protein benefit him?
    There is no benefit to him maintaining that level of protein intake. It's certainly not going towards muscle building. It will help him feel sated but so will fats, and increasing fats will definitely be of benefit with regards hormone production.

Some additional fat source suggestions: avocados, fish oil and oily fish, seeds, flax oil

At 260, I'm a little surprised that you're eating 2300 calories. How did you come up with that number?

Either way, fat definitely needs to be increased!!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    Well i couldn't get a solid number for my daily maintence it was between 2600-3000ish. If you guys know of a really good method of finding what ya need im open to all suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Either way, fat definitely needs to be increased!!
    I'd actually say he needs more carbs to support his training. I don't know where this "extra fat is good" craze came from, but it's the most useless out of the 4 Macronutrients besides alcohol at sustaining muscle and fueling your workouts. Which is especially important when cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK
    I'd actually say he needs more carbs to support his training. I don't know where this "extra fat is good" craze came from, but it's the most useless out of the 4 Macronutrients besides alcohol at sustaining muscle and fueling your workouts. Which is especially important when cutting.
    No one said anything about "extra fat is good," but it has been stated that there is a minimum requirement for fats. An accepted general guideline is, as Anthony already mentioned, 0.5g/lbs of bw (some argue its LBM). On another note, fat is crucial when cutting for some people because it satates them better than carbs and they eat less (calorie wise).
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

If he was hitting the minimum required for proper hormone production, I wouldn't have much issue with the carbs.

Having said that, there are studies that show fat has potential to be a better fuel source than carbs, depending on your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    If he was hitting the minimum required for proper hormone production, I wouldn't have much issue with the carbs.

Having said that, there are studies that show fat has potential to be a better fuel source than carbs, depending on your training.
    Certainly not for bodybuilding or powerlifting purposes. Besides he's getting more than enough saturated fats from the food he eats to support natty test production from steaks, chicken, etc...

And to the guy above Anthony, show me where this "minimum requirement" came from and why. Because I don't buy that at all.

Wannabebig Member

fitday

how do you post your fitday on here?

Certainly not for bodybuilding or powerlifting purposes. Besides he's getting more than enough saturated fats from the food he eats to support natty test production from steaks, chicken, etc...

And to the guy above Anthony, show me where this "minimum requirement" came from and why. Because I don't buy that at all.
    The minimum requirement is individual and is the minimum amount of fat that does NOT affect hormone production. Go to pubmed and search the research yourself. I am not here to convince you, you obviously are not willing to do the legwork, but if you do not beleive me eat little to no fat for a while and see how you feel. When you report back you might make me a beleiver. I am trying to help somebody that is not stuck on the "fat makes you fat" ideology, like yourself. There is no carb requirement because you can function without it, try functioning without fat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

This was your original argument, which you did not really support with any evidence other than it works for my BBing buddies [who are probably assisted]. Please explain your original argument instead of going off on tangents.

Sustaining muscle = keeping muscle on a cut. no? Ketogenic diets are more muscle sparring than low fat diets.

Fueling your workouts = keeping intensity high. I myself have not experienced a loss of intensity while on a ketogenic diet or variation thereof.

I also tried Atkins before I was better educated about dieting, I was maybe 15% bf and got down to 10% and got stronger and lost only 3 lbs of LBM. I had no problems keeping intensity high. All this while I was not eating nearly enough to support lifting, running and hours of competetive sports. If I would have been smarter and kept my calories in check I am sure I would have kept all my LBM (and potentially gained some), unassisted.

Learning as I progress
    After reading about Ancient Greece for an hour, this was a very interesting topic. I learned a lot and just had a few question.

What is the definition of low carb(# of grams)? and when do carbs start becoming excessive?(in terms of grams)
    Last edited by Con; 09-18-2006 at 06:01 PM.
    Complication breeds desperation.

www.fitday.com ... eat "normally" for at least a week and record it into fitday, take a daily average, and then reduce by 10%.

I know it's a huge pain in the ass to weigh/measure your food like this, then record it into a website, but the info is invaluable. And believe it or not, it gets easy after awhile.

Wannabebig Member
    So taking your guy's advice here is are my macros for today.. Sorry for the low calories.. Gotta practice eating more. But percentage wise how does it look? Still good for losing mass wieght..

Total: 2076
    Fat: 82 740 37%
    Sat: 14 122 6%
    Poly: 16 140 7%
    Mono: 50 450 22%
    Carbs: 142 433 22%
    Fiber: 34 0 0%
    Protein: 209 835 42%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%

% wise it looks much improved

Please do not think in percentages, think in terms of your bodies needs. Once you take care of protein and EFAs you can fill in the rest with whatever you want, and as long as you are in a caloric deficit you will loose weight. If you are lifting heavy you will retain muscle and loose fat.

Training
    Also - Take into account what your body should be using as in Calories, Protein, Carbs, and Fats. Some advice that I was given was to take 1g of protein for the amount I way (190g protein a day) For Carbs .5 g a day (95-100 carb a day.) For Fats i'm not completely sure, can anyone else chime in this?
    Starting over...

Quote Originally Posted by Al3X
    Also - Take into account what your body should be using as in Calories, Protein, Carbs, and Fats. Some advice that I was given was to take 1g of protein for the amount I way (190g protein a day) For Carbs .5 g a day (95-100 carb a day.) For Fats i'm not completely sure, can anyone else chime in this?
    1g protein per pound
    0.5g fat per pound

Carbs aren't mandatory, so they don't get a special number.

Training
    Well I don't know about you, but I just can imagine a life without them!

Anyways, best of luck on your diet - Par58.
    Starting over...