Thread: Rep ranges

Rep ranges

Sup guys, keep on reading about the 5x5 rep range. In what ways is it different to 2x8? I have a vague idea about less reps = strength whereas more = mass, but not sure on specifics. Ideally I would like to train for strength but am also looking for the aesthetic benefits of lifting. Some advice on this would be really appreciated =)

Thanks,
    -Steele

I tend to stick in the 3X8-12 range (more towards 8) and I know this to be for muscle mass (of course you make great strength gains as well), but when people use a 5X5 (or start using it) it's usuaully to break a sticking-point, or just for a change of routine. I would always start with the 8-12 rep range and move to fewer reps later.

Lifting a heavier weight for a few reps will do far more for strength than lifting a light weight for 8-12 reps. The hypertrophy differences are, I'm guessing, minimal.

A while back I had worked my flat bench press up to 250*8. I tried 275 and could only do it twice. So adding a mere 25 lbs brought me down 6 reps. My point is lifting in the 8-12 rep range just doesn't compare to the 3-5 range in terms of strength gains.

Ahhh, i see. Thanks muchos =)

-Steele

Isn't it also good idea (what ever your goals) to work in the 3-5 rep range while cutting, because you cannot hypertrophy while in a calorie deficit, is this correct?

I read something by Mel Siff that said beginners make the same strength increases regardless of sets/reps.

So if you're a beginner, don't worry about it. Just lift heavy and focus on putting more weight on the bar each week.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Sorted! =) Thanks chaps

-Steele

Quote Originally Posted by JConrad
    Isn't it also good idea (what ever your goals) to work in the 3-5 rep range while cutting, because you cannot hypertrophy while in a calorie deficit, is this correct?
    Correct rep range, but the way it makes sense to me in my little brain is that the lower rep range work isn't as glycogen dependent as higher rep-range work, and since you don't have the resources on a cut to support sarcomere and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy anyway, best to concentrate your energy on "maintaining the real estate" - the contractile portion of the muscle.