Thread: Help with routine

Help with routine

Hello,

I am 6'1", and weigh between 185-190lbs. I would like to bulk up to 200-205lbs. The following is my routine; please critique it, knowing that I want to gain size and strength.

Format: Exercise; # reps x # sets @ current weight

Day 1 (Legs/Shoulders)

Squats; 6 reps x 4 sets @ 285lbs.
    Straight leg deadlift; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 175lbs.
    Toe raises (with barbell); 8 reps x 3 sets @ 265 lbs.

Barbell shoulder press; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 111lbs.
    Frontal rows; 8 reps x 3 sets @ 99lbs.
    Lateral & Front shoulder raises; 5-6 reps x 2 (super set) @ 25lbs.
    Barbell shoulder shrugs; 8 reps x 3 sets @ 245lbs.

Day 2 (Chest/Triceps)

Flat bench press; 5-6 reps x 3 sets @ 205lbs.
    Incline bench press; 8 reps x 3 sets @ 135lbs.
    Decline bench press; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 177lbs.

Overhead tricep extension (two handed); 5-6 reps x 3 sets @ 75lbs.
    Tricep push down; 10-12 reps x 3 sets @ ?lbs.
    EZ-Curl bar, close grip press; burnout (usually ~25 reps) x 1 set @ 65lbs.

Day 3 (Back/Biceps)

Deadlift; 5-6 reps x 3 sets @ 285lbs.
    Weighted pullups (25lbs. weight); 6 reps x 3 sets
    Weighted chinups (25lbs. weight); 5 reps x 3 sets
    Dumbell bent over row; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 95lbs.
    Seated rows; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 160lbs.

Standing EZ-Curl bar curls; strip/pyramid, starting at 6 reps @ 45lbs, then 5 reps @ 55lbs, then 4 reps @ 65lbs., then 5 reps @ 55lbs, 6 reps @ 45lbs
    Standing dumbell curls; 15 reps (each arm) x 1 set @ 25lbs.; 10 reps (each arm) x 1 set @ 30lbs.

Thanks for any suggestions that you may have.

How many rest days do you plan on taking after day 3?

Sorry I didn't make that more clear in my initial post. As of now, I am lifting like this:

Monday (Day 1)
    Wednesday (Day 2)
    Thursday (Day 3)

So I would rest 3 days after day three. I am thinking about adding a fourth day on Fridays, and lifting whatever muscle groups that I lifted the longest ago then. For now, it's a MWF/123 split for me. Hope that clarifies things.

That looks like a good routine that includes the core heavy lifts (squat, mil press, bench, deads, and rows).

If you eat right, you should be able to reach your goals. If you are new to lifting and eating right, this should occur within 3 - 6 months.

If you platuea in strength, please come back for some advice. You'll probably just switch routines for a bit.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

I have noticed that my bench has plateaued lately. Any suggestions on how I can break through there?

I also have a follow up question regarding supplements.

I have gone through one container of CytoGainer recently, and am onto my second one. I consume one shake in the morning/afternoon and one post-workout.

I am thinking about getting some Nitrean to take during workout and post-workout, and then cutting out the CytoGainer or perhaps using it to get an extra 700-900 calories a day.

Other than the creatine in the CytoGainer, I've never used a Creatine supplement. Is this something I should start to use?

Any recommendations about how I should take protein supplements, and how often I should take them (e.g. 3x a day, 2x a day, just post-work out, etc.).

Thanks again for any suggestions.
    Last edited by scotusch; 09-16-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by scotusch
    Hello,

I am 6'1", and weigh between 185-190lbs. I would like to bulk up to 200-205lbs. The following is my routine; please critique it, knowing that I want to gain size and strength.

Format: Exercise; # reps x # sets @ current weight

Day 1 (Legs/Shoulders)

Squats; 6 reps x 4 sets @ 285lbs.
    Straight leg deadlift; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 175lbs.
    Toe raises (with barbell); 8 reps x 3 sets @ 265 lbs.

Barbell shoulder press; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 111lbs.
    Frontal rows; 8 reps x 3 sets @ 99lbs.
    Lateral & Front shoulder raises; 5-6 reps x 2 (super set) @ 25lbs.
    Barbell shoulder shrugs; 8 reps x 3 sets @ 245lbs.

Day 2 (Chest/Triceps)

Flat bench press; 5-6 reps x 3 sets @ 205lbs.
    Incline bench press; 8 reps x 3 sets @ 135lbs.
    Decline bench press; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 177lbs.

Overhead tricep extension (two handed); 5-6 reps x 3 sets @ 75lbs.
    Tricep push down; 10-12 reps x 3 sets @ ?lbs.
    EZ-Curl bar, close grip press; burnout (usually ~25 reps) x 1 set @ 65lbs.

Day 3 (Back/Biceps)

Deadlift; 5-6 reps x 3 sets @ 285lbs.
    Weighted pullups (25lbs. weight); 6 reps x 3 sets
    Weighted chinups (25lbs. weight); 5 reps x 3 sets
    Dumbell bent over row; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 95lbs.
    Seated rows; 6 reps x 3 sets @ 160lbs.

Standing EZ-Curl bar curls; strip/pyramid, starting at 6 reps @ 45lbs, then 5 reps @ 55lbs, then 4 reps @ 65lbs., then 5 reps @ 55lbs, 6 reps @ 45lbs
    Standing dumbell curls; 15 reps (each arm) x 1 set @ 25lbs.; 10 reps (each arm) x 1 set @ 30lbs.

Thanks for any suggestions that you may have.
    You shouldn't be training shoulders the day BEFORE chest. That could be a reason why your bench is stalled. The shoulders are heavily involved in most chest exercises and if they are still fatigued, your bench could suffer. Also I would put biceps with chest and triceps with back. The reason for this is that after heavy chest work the triceps are tired thus tricep work suffers. The same for back and biceps. Spliting them up as I suggested also works the triceps and biceps 2 times a week instead of one. Once directly and once indirectly.
    I'd also drop the shoulder raises...your delts will be getting enough work from chest and back work plus the shoulder presses. You don't want to overtrain them.

Other than that it looks pretty good...a few too many exercises for my taste but as long as you keep the sets in check there's no reason why it shouldn't work. A caution though. Even the best routine in the world will not work if you are not taking in enough calories or getting enough rest. Be sure to have those two in hand before going all out in the gym.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim
    You shouldn't be training shoulders the day BEFORE chest. That could be a reason why your bench is stalled. The shoulders are heavily involved in most chest exercises and if they are still fatigued, your bench could suffer. Also I would put biceps with chest and triceps with back. The reason for this is that after heavy chest work the triceps are tired thus tricep work suffers. The same for back and biceps. Spliting them up as I suggested also works the triceps and biceps 2 times a week instead of one. Once directly and once indirectly.
    I'd also drop the shoulder raises...your delts will be getting enough work from chest and back work plus the shoulder presses. You don't want to overtrain them.

Other than that it looks pretty good...a few too many exercises for my taste but as long as you keep the sets in check there's no reason why it shouldn't work. A caution though. Even the best routine in the world will not work if you are not taking in enough calories or getting enough rest. Be sure to have those two in hand before going all out in the gym.

Good luck!
    ^^^ i agree with EVERY word of that...

but IMHO: u shouldnt train splits...do a fullbody program like HST or Bill Starr's 5x5

Sentinel

ps: best of luck