The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Military Press in Rack = in the squat rack?

I have been doing the wbb1 program for a month now, and I just realized something today at the gym. Wbb1 calls for a "military press in rack". Is this to be done standing, in the squat rack?

If that is not the case, what would be a better alternative: military press in the smith machine, or in a pseudo-machine like device (a machine that you load weights onto two sides, and push two grips that follow a military press like movement). The reason I ask this is because my gym got rid of the military press bench. No idea why, but sadly it is gone.
    Last edited by bikefiend; 09-17-2006 at 08:26 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

it is suppose to be done standing in the squat rack. Im personally like to do military seated because i feel like i am using my legs too much doing them standing, but to each his own.
    Last edited by 235orbust; 09-17-2006 at 08:32 PM.
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success

Wannabebig Member
    Ok got it, thanks for the quick reply!

Today was shoulder day, and I did the military press in the squat rack so I'm glad I am on track. I felt kinda sad though because I could only do 115 for 5 reps standing, while just last week I was putting up 155 for 6 reps in the smith machine (seated).

How important is it to include all those stabilizers and core work, instead of focusing on the main shoulder muscles? I plan to do the presses in the squat rack because it seems like it will build the most functional strength, but if I wanted to go for big shoulders, would it be better to do them seated (and in the smith machine until the gym buys another military press bench)?

You would be best off to continue to do standing military press for exactly the reason you stated; functional strength.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Do them standing it works more muscles, sometimes in weightlifting you have to check your ego at the door, later though you will be happy with the results
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Quote Originally Posted by 235orbust
    it is suppose to be done standing in the squat rack. Im personally like to do military seated because i feel like i am using my legs too much doing them standing, but to each his own.
    Doing them seated is a lot easier than standing.

Banned
    ^ very true. And for some of us, standing in the rack is not possible as racks just are not high enough. Another alternative is to clean and jerk the weight into position and then to do your reps. Works for me.

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefiend
    If that is not the case, what would be a better alternative: military press in the smith machine, or in a pseudo-machine like device (a machine that you load weights onto two sides, and push two grips that follow a military press like movement).
    Stay away from the machines if possible.. same reasons for not doing squats on the Smith machine..

Using the rack w/free weights & bar will allow you to follow a more natural ROM - and make you stabilize the bar.. this helps to prevent injuries and build overall better core strength.
    Your stabilizers will suffer from the one fixed axis of movement of the SMith Machine.. so any exercises outside of the Smith will also suffer

check your ego at the door, later though you will be happy with the results
    I'm so sick of people saying that. It doesn't even make sense how it was used that time.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick
    ^ very true. And for some of us, standing in the rack is not possible as racks just are not high enough. Another alternative is to clean and jerk the weight into position and then to do your reps. Works for me.
    Can you put the catch pins on the outside of the rack? Then you can do them just outside and still have a place to hang the bar.

I'm so sick of people saying that. It doesn't even make sense how it was used that time.
    Yes it does. The OP was bemoaning that he could only do 115. We shouldn't worry about how much weight we are using, but instead working on doing the proper exercises the proper way. Once that is acheived, then be concerned with increasing the weights.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Can you put the catch pins on the outside of the rack? Then you can do them just outside and still have a place to hang the bar.
    Unfortunately, the racks are not pefectly level and the balance leans out from the rack. In other words, yep, I can place them on the pins, but I'd have to hold it there for my entire rest time (hands in air, arms fall asleep, mayhem ensues).

i'd love to do them in a rack, but they're 9' racks and i can reach 9'3 (or so). the bar smacks the rack.

so, i clean the weight to my shoulders, do the reps and set them back down. it's extra excersize, right?
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010
    Bench Press 325x1 8/12/2010

I thought 'in the rack' meant using one of those benchpress-type racks, with the seat attached to the rails (instead of a bench)? A lot of gyms don't have them.

I just clean the weight to my shoulders, then press away... Much easier, no rack needed.
    Cobra, Curry and the Gibson Flying V.

I do military press from pins outside the power rack. I think its best this way.
    Last edited by miken5254; 09-18-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

"Success is a journey, not a destination."

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    Doing them seated is a lot easier than standing.
    Doing them seated is NOT a military press. A military press is done standing...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Doing them seated is NOT a military press. A military press is done standing...
    I agree, but the person I responded to said he does "seated military presses". I didn't really care to correct him or not because it's not that big of a deal.

Occupational Hypnomania
    If you can press it you can jerk it.

Clean the weight up, then start your presses.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick
    I'm of the opinion you shouldn't be overhead pressing a weight you cannot safely clean and jerk, so I agree with the above.

I also do military press standing because it's a little harder. weight trainign has taught me that when things are hard, its usually because they are effective: pullups, squats, deadlifts, standing military press, bent over barball rows, heavy benching.