The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Switched back to BB Bench today...

Wow I'm weak!! I switched back after almost a year of straight db press and Im down about 40lbs of what I used to do. I dont know if I should keep at it or go back to db. I might do what my lifting partner does, which is bb one week and db the next.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you copying me LOL, i did the exact same thing today after 3 months. For some reason I expected to be able to lift more with a BB than two DBs combined, but it was a LOT less.
    I don't know about you, but the reason I have gone back to BB bench is that the DBs got so heavy that it was hard to get in position for the bench.

thats weird, if you DB bench went up then your BB should have gone up some too.. or at least stayed about the same. I bet it will go back up fast, your probably just not used to it again yet.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

You should do some kind of BB and DB pressing each week. If I do flat BB, I'll do incline DB, and vice versa, if I do flat DB, I'll do incline BB. Your BB bench numbers should go up pretty quicky as your stabilizer muscles get used to the feeling of BB benching again. Have fun with it, good times.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Banned
    i prefer the BB. occasionally when doing db, one will misload the weight when rolling back into position and its very fatiguing to straighten things out

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    i prefer the BB. occasionally when doing db, one will misload the weight when rolling back into position and its very fatiguing to straighten things out
    I have never had that problem, maybe work on strengthening your stablizer muscles. Like you said, you prefer BB, so you probably just need practice with high weight DB's. I can incline DB almost as much as I can incline BB, it just takes practice.

Banned
    incline DB is much much easier to setup than flat DB because you can just kick the weight up and sit back

Banned
    its much easier to take a BB off a rack then roll back with DBs in hand IMO.. i cant think of a single argument that can refute that.

you can get someone to hand you the DBs but thats pretty much all

The same thing occured to me, switch to DB pressing killed my BB bench.

They aren't the same thing and when you stop BB benching, you become less efficient and coordinated at it. Also, you will invariably use less weight doing DBs which equals less stimulation.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

same thing happen to me also way back, it killed my BB bench, pick 1 and stick with it i would reccomend.
    2000 or bust

There are no limits DaoineSidhe's Avatar
    I don't get it.

What mechanical differences would there be that would cause a loss in BB press lifts assuming all things were equal (sets, reps, weight)?

It even looks like all the same muscles and stabilizers are being targeted according to EXRX

BB Benchpress
    Dumbbell Benchpress
    Height: 5'5
    Weight: 195
    Body Fat: 30% (from an online measuring formula)
    Goal: get to 170, be 15% bf or lower, and to eat a healthier diet

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
    Also, you will invariably use less weight doing DBs which equals less stimulation.
    I can't imagine how this could be an accurate statement.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I can't imagine how this could be an accurate statement.

Most people who have wrote on this subject agree that you will not be able to bench the same amount of weight with DB's that you will with a barbell, (assuming that you train both equally seriously). I yet have to see a single person argue the opposite.

Banned
    i think he's disagreeing about the lesser stimulation, not the lesser amount of weight

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    i think he's disagreeing about the lesser stimulation, not the lesser amount of weight
    You are correct.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim
    Most people who have wrote on this subject agree that you will not be able to bench the same amount of weight with DB's that you will with a barbell, (assuming that you train both equally seriously). I yet have to see a single person argue the opposite.
    But a lot of the guys above are saying they are doing less with the BB's. Which I really don't understand. I've never been able to DB bench as much as I BB benched.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

How many of you press the dbs the same way you press the BB? Very few to none. The barbell press also has the advantage of two handed stabilization, which does not require as concentrated an effort as an individual weight in each hand.

The laterals and triceps play more of a role in the bb press than the db press. I've observed people press the DBs with elbows flared more than they do when they press the BB.

Stay with the BB bench again and it should go up quickly as your CNS relearns the movement. Once it does, your BB bench should shoot up quickly since your chest and arm strength is obviously there, and probably more than before you started doing just DB's a year ago. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Same thing happened to me before. I spent a summer working only with dumbbells for chest and my barbell bench went down the drain. Your body loses the coordination required to handle the bar, but it comes back fast.
    Last edited by Beast; 09-19-2006 at 11:19 AM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    Same thing happened to me before. I spent a summer working only with dumbbells for chest and my barbell bench went down the drain. Your body loses the coordination required to handle the bar, but it comes back fast.
    I would think your body needs more coordination to do DB presses than BB presses.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    I would think your body needs more coordination to do DB presses than BB presses.
    I would think it goes either way, assuming you completely quit doing the other. I think a lot of people might not notice it if they do BB presses exclusively because most people I know do DB flys, which would stimulate similar muscle stabilizers as DB pressing, whereas nothing really re-inacts BB pressing besides, well, BB pressing.
    Last edited by Nosaj; 09-19-2006 at 02:01 PM.

If you're not doing both regularly, there's going to be a lot less carryover than you'd expect.

I used to be able to do more w. DBs than on a BB. I stopped doing DB BP a long time ago and now when I do DBs I can barely do 100s for reps, but can do A LOT more with a barbell - I solved the problem by never using dumbells...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Obviously it does, but that doesn't mean that it's going to carry over to a BB bench because it takes more coordination.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    But a lot of the guys above are saying they are doing less with the BB's. Which I really don't understand. I've never been able to DB bench as much as I BB benched.

Which is why I said "assuming that you train both equally seriously."

The guys that are saying that they are doing less have not trained with the BB for a while.