The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Having Lower Back Pain - What Lift Is Causing?

Hi I'm new to these forums, a friend told me about them a while ago and recently I have been having problems with lower back pain and wanted some feedback, as I am stumped as to the cause. The pain is very local in the lower back, only hurts when I bend suddenly, and is not debilitating, but at its worst makes me incapable of doing abs or back exercises for days, and only goes away if I skip lifting days that involve the back. I've been lifting seriously for about two years and have never had back problems before. I'm moderately musculed and very well toned but not huge body type and my workouts have been pretty consistantly the following for the past six months.

arms day-4x6 of three kinds of bicep/tricep. 4x6 close-grip. 4x6 forearm stuff.
    back day-3x8 frontpulldowns, 3x8 backpulldowns, 4x6 bar shrugs, 4x6 db shrugs, 4x8 forward/side/back flies, 4x10 back hyperextensions, 3x8 bar raise
    chest day-4x6 flat/inc/dec bench, 4x6 db pullover, 4x6 flies, 4x6 bar dips
    legs day-4x8 calf raise, 4x6 squat, 4x8 seated leg curls, 4x8 seated leg extension
    abs(3-4x a week)-4x20 ball crunches, 4 set leg raises, 4x15 twisting crunch, 4x6 vert leg crunch, 4x15 hanging leg raises, and 4x15 cant think of a term for it but the oblique thing where you lean to the side with a plate.

I typically do the arms/back/chest no more than 2x a week, the legs once, and the abs 3-4. I'm guessing the problem is in an ab or back exercise but
    if anyone has a clue which of these I may be overdoing/doing incorectly to cause lower back pain I would love to know as I am immensely frustrated with having to skip lifting days. Not really looking for a critique of my workout in reference to anything other than back injury right now either by the way, but any help is appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1.Try strengthening your lower back, it is completely neglected in your routine.
    2.Your form on many excercises could be also the cause.
    3.Your routine is recipe for overtraining.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

I think it's a fundamental problem from minimally training your posterior chain and far overtraining the beach muscles.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Deadlift will make it feel better. That and food.

ok so im getting that i need to do more lower back exercises. Just deadlift or anything else?

also what specifically am i overtraining? I have a nice fairly cut build, not F'd up looking in any way, and dont want to reduce the amount of lifting to much so as to lose tone. Help destroy my ignorance please.

I would throw in some good mornings or SLDL's, and skip some of the other exercises you're doing. Keep in mind that it may (if you do them long enough) make your obliques and lower back bigger, so it might also make your waist look bigger.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Another thing, for your abs, cut down on the volume and treat them like all your other muscles. Twice a week, weighted crunches. That would be plenty.

When does your back hurt the most? Does it hurt the most after back day or leg day?

My guess is that your squat form is bad, and/or your lower back is weak, and/or your hamstrings/hips are weak and inflexible.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

the pain seems to come up somewhat randomly, only 2nd bout of it in about a month, but doing back stuff certainly makes it worse. I have good flexibility so yea, im thinking now that its not enough lower back strength to deal with the rest of what i do.

if it is shooting pains then it may be a pinched nerve or something. work on your form, deadlift, squat, goodmornings.. make sure you do it with good form though.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

The problem could also be a mild form of lordosis, a lumbar curvature of the spine. This can occur if you do not maintain a balance between your lower back muscles and your lower abdominal muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sincer
    also what specifically am i overtraining? I have a nice fairly cut build, not F'd up looking in any way, and dont want to reduce the amount of lifting to much so as to lose tone. Help destroy my ignorance please.
    Well, for starters your arms don't need there own day. Think of the size of your arms compared to the size of your legs, and you are doing the same if not more work on your arms. Those endless sets and reps are probably slowing down the growth of your arms if anything.

Why are you doing DB and BB shrugs? Pick one.

Your chest day volume is insane. You do not need to do flat/incline/decline at once. You do not need flyes, they are fairly worthless. Do 3-4 sets of flat and incline and maybe a few dips afterward. I could go on but I don't have the time right now. Look into a upper/lower split.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

ah..the ol abs twice as much as everything else routine
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

go see a doctor and quit making guesses
    Height: 5'10"
    Starting Weight: 135-140lbs (August 1st 2006)
    Current Weight: got up to 177 but got it back down to 170lbs
    Current Goal: cutting

Is it dull pain or sharp pain? If it's dull pain it's probably just DOMS, but if it's sharp pain then you likely pulled or strained something and should refrain from any heavy back work till healed. Incorporate more back exercises into your workout program and on new exercises start with lower weight and concentrate on perfect form. Bring up that weakness and sharp back pains should no longer be a problem as long as there are no underlying medical problems.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle