Thread: Thinking of getting into MMA, tips and thoughts?

Thinking of getting into MMA, tips and thoughts?

Hey guys,

For the last few months I've been thinking of getting into MMA. I have no training whatsoever in any other disiplines (boxing, muay thai, etc... ).

I'm not really looking to get into it to compete but mostly as a hobby that will keep me fit. Perhaps if I have a gift for it, I would compete, but that's not the primary reason.

Any tips on how to approche it?

I am also considering getting into this trend. but I would like to compete and see if i have anything to offer, or if I would just get whooped.

My only advice is to check online or in your phone book for studios/dojos in your area that teach. Heads up on one gimmick though, LOTS of people will use the Gracie name in/on their gym and training and use it as an excuse to charge higher fees. This doesn't mean you are being taught by a Gracie.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

yeah, that's a concern of mine, I don't want to join a "kung-fu" or judo dojo, I would like to get into an "all around" type place.

Start off with Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing to get striking and ground fundamentals before you go right into 'MMA'. If you look at most of the good fighters they all have a strong background in one of those 2 areas (Or something similar) before expanding into the other to make themselves a rounded MMA fighter.
    My sig scared getfit.

:withstupi

The schools Ive trained at and most others I've seen offer separate classes for striking (usually Muay Thai) and ground work (usually jujitsu). Then they offer classes for intermediate and advanced students where the two are combined or you just combine your striking and ground work in open sparring.

Check out several schools though if you can. Don't just go to one and think its the holiest of holies. And if you have a chance observe the instructors teaching a class. Then pick which school you like the most and you're good from there.
    Last edited by Shane; 09-19-2006 at 12:50 PM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

What does "Gracie" mean?
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

"Success is a journey, not a destination."

Quote Originally Posted by miken5254
    What does "Gracie" mean?
    The Gracie's are a family from Brazil that, years ago, took Jujitsu and modified it and offered it up as a superior fighting system. Then they used the UFC to promote Gracie Jujitsu. So in MMA usually when someone says "jujitsu" they mean more along the lines of Gracie or Brazilian Jujitsu instead of more traditional Japanese Jujitsu. Some people use the fact that they've been trained by one of the Gracies or their students as a way of promoting themselves, kinda like students of Bruce Lee did.
    Last edited by Shane; 09-19-2006 at 01:17 PM.

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by miken5254
    What does "Gracie" mean?
    its a last name. basically the gracie family introduced BJJ to the world.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

i just started a few days ago, and i gotta say even the training is a ton of fun (if you enjoy ball busting hard work).
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Just a side note.

Once you get going you can DL alot of good training videos.

I have Randy Coutures "Closing the distance" and Rorion Gracies' series. Great stuff.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    Just a side note.

Once you get going you can DL alot of good training videos.

I have Randy Coutures "Closing the distance" and Rorion Gracies' series. Great stuff.
    Are you downloading them off torrents or somewhere else? I have Bas Rutten's whole series but it's on VHS. lol

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder
    Start off with Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing to get striking and ground fundamentals before you go right into 'MMA'. If you look at most of the good fighters they all have a strong background in one of those 2 areas (Or something similar) before expanding into the other to make themselves a rounded MMA fighter.
    Good advice. Also look for a teacher who is systematic in their approach so all your basics are covered. A lot of times when you are in a class that is multi-level, you miss out on important basics.

If you're looking for something that is a combination of everything and is self-defense oriented, I love the FIGHT system. I do that in addition to my mma classes.
    August 1, 2006 240lbs
    August 25, 2006 276lbs
    September 1, 2006 286lbs
    December 25, 2006 328lbs

TRYING TO BUILD A MONSTER

Thanks everyone, I will check out the local kick boxing classes and might join a "basic" JJ class.

I'm not in great shape right now and have very little flexibility, so I might work on my cardio and flexibility prior to joining the class.

Last edited by _8_Ball; 09-20-2006 at 08:11 AM.

There are a lot of MMA/combat systems classes popping up, especially in California, and near military bases.

But I would get started with boxing, muay thai, or a grappling martial art.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

The though of walking in there is intimidating as hell but so was walking into my first gym, now it's feels like home.

Quote Originally Posted by _8_Ball
    The though of walking in there is intimidating as hell but so was walking into my first gym, now it's feels like home.

I think it would be a good idea to go in there in decent shape. But dont let the intimidation factor get to you. There are two basic kind of guys that are into MMA. Some are trying to compensate for something psychologically, act cocky and have a chip on their shoulder that kinda give it all a bad name. The other kind tend to be cool, good sports, and appreciate the whole zen side to martial arts as well. Just get in good with the latter kind and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

My Journal

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    Are you downloading them off torrents or somewhere else?
    Yep.

My Bjj library is especially impressive.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

If you're interested in doing this, immediately start doing the cardio work for it.

You may be really surprised how fast you gas out if you don't come prepared. I reccomended ..

Circuit Training
    HIIT
    metabolic conditioning training (check elitefts.com articles)
    go for a few rounds on the bag