The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extreme Ectomorph

Extreme Ectomorph.

Hey everyone, my name is Kieran and I'm an extreme hardgainer. Bleh, sounds like an AA meeting introduction, but there you go.

I'm 21 years old, live in Australia, and have been doing gym on and off (and poorly) for about a year. Due to a series of illnesses and injuries I've been out of the gym for about 5months, and have lost what little mass I gained. I'm not concerned though, over those few months I did a ton of research and worked out a lot of things I was doing wrong. I was your typical skinny, pale kid curling away in the corner of the gym for quite some time. The main reason I do gym is because I enjoy it, health, but mainly because I'm sick of being so damn skinny. I want to put on weight, and I'd rather be skinny than fat.

My current stats are:

~57 kgs (125.5lbs)
    183cms (6'0")
    Will post my lifts next week, as this week will be a test to see if my back has recovered (the injury I mentioned), and practices my forms. I've never deadlifted.

I'd like to reach this by late April next year (my birthday):

70kg (155lbs)
    Bench: 70kg (bar + two largest plates)
    Squat: 120kg (all the weights I own, I'd like to buy more)
    Deadlift: Don't know, as I mentioned I've never done them before. Could someone give me a realistic goal? Thanks.
    Pull ups: My own weight! Perhaps 10 reps?

I'd expect these to change, I've never set goals for myself, I always just went to the gym, did my routine and grew slowly. So I'm unsure what goals are achievable and what aren't.

Main reason I'm doing this is motivation, but also so that people can guide me and correct me if I'm doing anything wrong. I use a home gym, so I don't have access to many fancy machines, nor can I get advice of other gym members. My home gym consists off:

1x Power rack with high/low cable attachment
    1x incline/flat/decline bench
    2x Standard spinlock dumbell handles
    1x Standard 7ft barbell with spring locks
    120kgs of various sized weight

I liked the look of that "Baby Got Back" routine. My only problem is I don't have access to a leg extension machine. I figured I could subsitute them with hack squats, or zercher (that spelt correctly?) squats, or something similar.

My diet too will have to change, I know now this was the biggest problem with my attempts to gain weight last time. I stayed away from carbs, and ate a ton of protein. Now I'm just going to eat everything in sight. A lot of white bread, pasta, rice and cereal. Even McDonalds if offered.
    I'll eat protein too of course, but I'll be sucking down peanut butter on toast every moment I can, even if I'm not hungry.I also have a 1:1 carbrotein whey powder mix which I'll be consuming as often as I can too.

Thank you for reading this! If you have any advice on how I could improve my routine or diet, please tell me! I am highly concerned about over training too, so if you see any signs indicating towards this, please inform me. Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Extreme Ectomorph
    Alright guys, it's been three weeks since my first post, I haven't done any gym since then due to my back injury but I just got back into it today and am feeling great! Well that's a lie, I'm completely wrecked, but mentally I'm pleased. I started the Baby Got Back routine for the first time and my lifts were as follows:

Rack pull 5x5:
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 8

Could've probably lifted more, but I've never done rack pulls before, so I was focusing on form. Plus, I was testing my back to see if it would be okay.

Bent over rows 8x3:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 6

Went till failure on the last set.

Flat bench press 5x5:
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    30kg x 3

Incline dumbell press 8x3:
    8.75kg x 8
    8.75kg x 8
    8.75kg x 5

Decline sit ups 3x12:
    5kg x 12
    5kg x 12
    5kg x 12

Never done abs workouts before, and the BGB routine just said "do abs", didn't suggest what. If anyone has a good suggestion of what I should do I'd be very grateful. I tried Russian Twists, but nearly fell off the bench.

Quick look at my diet was muslie for breakfast. Pasta for lunch, and most likely pasta again for dinner, with some tuna or eggs. Also taking shakes and snacking on toast (loaded with peanut butter) between meals, and post workout.

Not a bad day man! BGB is a solid routine. Hack squats could replace leg extensions. Don't sweat the little things like that... As long as your hitting the muscles it calls for.

Check out www.fitday.com, you should be tracking everything you eat. And you should eat a TON! At 6 feet tall and 125lbs you're tiny and I'm sure very very very lean. Track what you're eating now. If you don't start gaining 1-2 pounds a week bump it up by 500 calories.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Extreme Ectomorph
    Thanks for the reply!

I just updated my fitday log, up to about 3700 calories. Although I fear I may have overdone the servings. All our food comes in grams, and fitday supplies everything in cups, so I've had to guess a large amount.
    Last edited by kmrobins; 10-03-2006 at 05:40 AM.

For most stuff you can change the measurements.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Extreme Ectomorph
    Second day in!

Full Squats 5x5:
    20kg x 8
    25kg x 6
    27.5kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    30kg x 3

Lunges 8x3:
    10kg x 8
    10kg x 8
    10kg x 8

I was utterly wrecked after the squats, could not lunge anything but the bar. Even then I felt like spewing at the end of each set.

Seated Alt. Bicep Curl 5x5:
    4.5kg x 12
    7kg x 6
    8.5kg x 5
    8.5kg x 4
    8.5kg x 2

Hammer curls 3x8-12
    4.5kg x 16
    5kg x 12
    5kg x 10

Could've probably upped the hammer curls, but after the squats, all I wanted to do was get out of there. Was a real effort to force myself to do the lunges, but I'm glad I did.

Just started on a new protein powder today too, tastes like arse. If the squats didn't make me spew, this stuff surely will. Oh well.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Day three.

Alright, it's been a while. I can't workout weekends because I head back to my parent's for them, and I kind of had a big night out Thursday (I'm a student, a social life is expected), which put me out for a Friday workout.

But enough with the excuses! Keeping fit is a lifetime commitment, and dammit, I'm commited.

Deadlifts 5x5:
    30kg x 6
    30kg x 6
    35kg x 6
    37.5kg x 6
    40kg x 5

Could've probably lifted more, but it was my first time doing them, so I was starting light. They weren't actually that bad, in fact I quite enjoyed lifting them. People always compare them to squats, but I find squats 10x more painful.

Good mornings 3x8-12:
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    12.5kg x 15

Never done these before either, and I'm quite inflexible. So I concentrated on going down as low as I could and stretching my legs rather than lifting large weights.

Skullcrushers 5x5:
    12.5kg x 5
    12.5kg x 5
    12.5kg x 5
    12.5kg x 5
    12.5kg x 4

Cable pushdowns 3x8-12:
    10kg x 11
    10kg x 9
    10kg x 7

Was quite wrecked after the skullcrushers, but I love working the triceps.

All in all, I was quite happy with today. Happy to be back into the gym and lifting again, happy to be finally deadlifting!

Extreme Ectomorph
    Day four, my first cycle.

Pull ups 5x5:
    Own body weight x 5 each time, but I had to jump a little for each lift.

Lat pull downs 3x8:
    30kg x 12
    40 kg x 8
    40kg x 6

Did lats again because I felt I'd "cheated" too much on the pull ups by jumping too much.

Military Press 5x5:
    15kg x 8
    20kg x 6
    20kg x 6
    20kg x 4
    20kg x 4

Lateral Side Raises 3x8:
    5kg x 12
    7.5kg x 8
    7.5kg x 8
    7.5kg x 6

Was considering doing abs, or even another shoulder routine, but it was a stinking hot day so I just did my routine and got out.

So far diet has been going well too (although I've been slack with my fitday updates), averaging around ~4000 calories a day.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Day five, second cycle!

Rack pull 5x5:
    50kg x 8
    70kg x 6
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 3

Was very pleased with this! Never lifted so much weight in my life, in any exercise, and 30kg up from last week! Mind you last week I didn't come near maxing out.

Bent over rows 3x8:
    30kg x 12
    40kg x 5
    35kg x 8
    35kg x 7

Got a little excited on the second set, heheh.

Bench Press 5x5:
    25kg x 8
    35kg x 5
    35kg x 2
    32.5kg x 5
    32.5kg x 4

Was all over the place with this workout, again I got excited and bumped the weight up far too much too quickly.

Incline dumbell press 3x8:
    8.75kg x 8
    8.75kg x 8
    8.75kg x 6

No increase from last week, but I was wrecked from massive rack pulls and more importantly the recent bench.

All in all, an okay day. Great in lift increases, but that's to be expected at my incredibely low weight. I was disappointed in my sloppy routine, going up and down in weights to complete sets.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Week 3.

Alright, my start was a little shaky, I missed a workout each week which put it out of whack. So I'm starting this week from the start, which means chest and back day again. It's been 3 days since my last workout, so they've had sufficent rest.

Rack pull 5x5:
    40kg x 6
    45kg x 6
    45kg x 6
    47.5kg x 6
    50kg x 8

I dropped the pins drastically on the power rack, I realised last week I had the pins far too high.

Bent over rows 3x8-12:
    30kg x 15
    35kg x 12
    35kg x 11
    37.5kg x 7

Bench Press 5x5:
    30kg x 6
    35kg x 6
    35kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    37.5kg x 4

Incline Dumbell Press 3x8-12:
    8.75kg x 15
    10kg x 12
    11.25kg x 8
    11.25kg x 8

Was really pleased with this last lift, 2.5kg up from last week and I hit 8 reps each time!

Decline Sit up:
    5kg x 12
    5kg x 12
    5kg x 15

All in all, a good day. I'm really pleased with my progress. I'm beginning to see the faint outline of my abs, and my back is looking significantly larger. It's strange, I didn't really notice back muscles until now, nor did I really feel the burn in them after workouts, but they're definately growing. Also, I've increased from my initial 56kg to about 58-59kg. It varies each day, but never drops below 58kg.

Squats tommorow, ugh, how I hate them.
    Last edited by kmrobins; 10-16-2006 at 03:18 AM.

Hey, cool - another victim aaaah, I mean, happy convert!

Great that your back is growing. Mine did too. I've been very pleased.

Now, Mr. Ectomorph ... your diet.

Wanna set yourself some targets and try to stick to 'em?

How about 4000 calories a day for a week. Can you do that for me?

<she cooed>

Extreme Ectomorph
    Oh I have been trying, I get lazy with fitday.com, but I usually average at least 3500 calories, and often hit 4000. I just jam myself full of everything in sight, and choke down disgusting amounts of a disgustingly flavoured protein powder.

What targets would you recommend? I'm clueless on diet targets.

How about you aim for at least 200g protein and at least 80g fat. The rest of your 4000 can be from anything.

Easy?

And it doesn't have to taste bad! Protein, some ice cream, milk, chocolate sauce - knock it back.

Protein, ground oats, natural peanut butter, dextrose, milk. There's another one.

Toss olive oil in your shakes for a quick calorie hit.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Alright, I just updated my fitday for today, still got dinner to go and another shake. Could probably jam a few peanut butter toast slices in before bed too. I'll be sure to hit that 4000 mark though. Thanks.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Squat day, ouch.

Full squats 5x5:
    25kg x 5
    27.5kg x 5
    27.5kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    32.5kg x 5

Bitch. Bitch. Bitch. Moan. Moan. Moan. Sqauts. Oh how I despise you.

Weighted Lunges 3x8:
    12.5kg x 8
    15kg x 8
    17.5kg x 6

I'm coming to hate lunges almost as much as squats. I was literally gasping in pain for the last few reps.

Wide grip BBell curl 5x5:
    12.5kg x 6
    15kg x 5
    15kg x 5
    17.5kg x 4
    17.5kg x 4

Reverse curl 3x8-12:
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 11
    10kg x 9

Woo! I'm pumped, no more squats for a week!

Doing well, keep it up mate =)

And squats are well fun!

-Steele
    Last edited by Steele; 10-17-2006 at 04:43 AM.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Lats and shoulder day!

5x5 Lat Pulldown:
    40kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    45kg x 5
    45kg x 4
    45kg x 3

Did pull downs over pull ups because I can't do a single unassisted pull up.

Pull ups 3x8-12:
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 10

I did a little jump with each lift, cheating I know, but I was told if it's only a very minor jump you can still target your lats. I was pretty tired by the end of it.

Upright dumbell press 5x5:
    11.25kg x 5
    11.25kg x 5
    11.25kg x 5
    11.25kg x 4
    11.25kg x 3

Side Lateral DBell lift 3x8-12:
    5kg x 11
    5kg x 9
    5kg x 8

The DBell press destroyed me, was going to do three shoulder workouts, but I figured I'd done enough.

Scales have been hitting 60-61kg for a few days now! I can't believe how fast I'm packing the weight on, I've never put on so much weight so quickly. I'm loving my back, my neck keeps cramping up because I spend so much time in front of the mirror. Lauren - don't roll your eyes, you're ment to support my vanity!

Bought some new powder yesterday too, paid a bit extra than I would've liked, but it was worth it. This stuff actually tastes good (well, it probably tastes terrible, but in comparision to what I was drinking it's brilliant!), and mixes incredibely well. My other powder used to come up all gluggy and in chunks.

I've also started up on creatine. I bought some way back with my powder, it was dirt cheap. I stopped using it though because I was told that I should use it when I reach a plateau in my gains. I figure since I've got it sitting there, I may as well use it. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it.

Wannabenormal New Member
    Hi there. I've noticed you are doing a few isolated exercises there.

Being an ectomorphic hardgainer, you may find you can get better results if you only stick to the major compound exercises like:

Squats, Bench press, Barbell shrugs, Stiff legged deadlifts, Deadlifts as well as the Lat pulldowns, Bent over rows, Press behind neck and Barbell curls.

Doing these sorts of exercises you will find you can stress more of your body with less effort than isolated exercies.

And to stop over training, each body part should only be trained once per week, unless you feel your body can recover more rapidly.

Another thing you may be interested in - is if you find you are either getting burnout from doing so many sets (Usually it's not a good idea for hardgainers to do more than 2 to 3 sets per body part) or stagnating with the weights - is you could try changing to the system that I use, the low volume workout routine. It's done wonders for me over the last 6 weeks.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/L...eTraining.html

Hope this info can be of any help

Extreme Ectomorph
    Hey, thanks for the info, I'll definately try it out. I do have a few questions though.

As far as I can tell, this is how my routine should look:

Monday - Torso - Heavy:

Sets and Reps for workouts as follows:
    50% max weight * 12 reps
    Max weight * 6-9 reps

Deadlift - or would this go on leg day?
    Pull up (or lat pulldown till I can actually perform pull ups)
    Bent over row
    Bench Press
    Military Press

Tuesday - Legs & Arms - Heavy:

50% max weight * 12 reps
    Max weight * 6-9 reps

Full Squat
    Stiff-Leg Deadlift
    BBell Curl
    Skull Crushers

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Torso - Light:

50% max weight * 12 reps
    100% max weight * 10-15 reps
    105-110% max weight * till failure

Deadlift
    Pull up
    Bent over row
    Bench Press
    Military Press

Friday - Legs & Arms - Light:

50% max weight * 12 reps
    100% max weight * 10-15 reps
    105-110% max weight * till failure

Full Squat
    Stiff Leg DL
    BBell Curl
    Skullcrusher

Sat & Sun - Rest

Is that right? As from the article you sent me that's what I gathered. I'm quite confused though. I really appreciate the advice though, it's so difficult to find good information on hardgainer routines. Seems most hardgainers out there want nothing to do with weightlifting, and those that do don't want to talk about it.

Wannabenormal New Member
    It depends on how fast your body recovers, if you feel you can do a 4 day week then go for it, otherwise you could cut it back to 3, just doing mondays, wednesdays and fridays.

Don't forget being a hardgainer, it is easy to overtrain, which will actually hinder you instead of making decent gains.

Also, the major muscles can be trained with 2 exercises instead of 1.

Here is an example:
    Mondays: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps and Calves
    Wednesdays: Quads, Hamstrings, Lower back and Buttocks
    Fridays: Upper Back, Biceps, Forearms and Abs.

So for exercises you could do something like:
    Mondays: Bench Press, Incline Bench press (or decline bench press), Barbell upright rows, Barbell Shrugs (Very important to do these!) then instead of doing lying tricep curls, try Close-grip bench press, so that you are still working the chest as well as burning the triceps.

Wednesdays: Full squats, Stiff legged deadlifts, Deadlifts, Vertical leg presses (or angled leg presses, if you have the eq or can go to the gym otherwise you may need to a 2nd set of squats in it's place), and to finish it off, do Calf raises. If you don't have the eq for that, you can place the barbell as per squats and raises your ankles to burn the calves that way. (Just make you sure have good balance )

Fridays: Seated pulley Rows (or bent-over rows), Barbell Curls, Barbell reverse curls (forearms) then leg raises. If you can't do leg raises, then do either crunches or the bicycle exercise.

If you wish to split these over 4 days instead, that is up to you.

If you wish to do 2 sets instead of one for everything, then that is also up to you, though as the article says, you may only gain 0%-5% extra growth yet your workout will be double in length.

At the moment, i only do one set of each and am finding the method does work, as long as you eat a lot of proper food and drink either raw milk or unhomogenised milk with the protein shakes. You should never drink the standard milk out there as the homogenisation process breaks the fat in the milk into much smaller gobules that is so small that the fat can travel through your stomach walls and straight into your bloodstream, which causes all types of nasty health problems like heart disease.
    You also mentioned white breads, you'd be better to eat wholemeal bread, or even make your own cornmeal buns if you have the inclination.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Today I decided to try the one set major movements routine. As many of my muscles were still recovering from previous workouts, I did a rather erratic routine.

Standard Deadlift:
    30kg x 12 - warm up
    50kg x 12 - I honestly thought I'd max out at about 6 with this much weight.
    60kg x 9 - Was utterly bugged at the end off this, literally seeing stars.

PB too! My own body weight!

Upright Row:
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 7

BBell Shrug:
    30kg x 10
    50kg x 8

Close Grip BBell Bench:
    15kg x 10
    25kg x 6

And that was that, a very, very quick routine. I really only felt the burn during the deadlifts (and I *really* felt it), but I often rarely feel the burn till the next day anyway, so we'll see.

Something strange happened during this workout though, when I came back inside on both the insides of my forearms, an inch or two below my elbow I got a very large rash. They're both about 3 inches long in length, and an inch wide. They don't itch, the skin feels fine, is unbroken, and I don't remember damaging it. It's made of what looks like lots of red spots. Any idea what this could be?

Thanks.

Wannabenormal New Member
    Well, you may have rubbed the barbell on your forearms as you did the close grip bench press, otherwise the rash could be anything. I'm sure you know what to do if it persists...

You'd be surprised at how quickly you can increase the weights in deadlifts. I had stopped bodybuilding 7 years ago and from then until now, i have lost 20 kgs until 6 weeks ago when i finally got back into it, and I'm still lighter than you at the moment (176cms, 52kgs), yet my last attempt was 72.5kgs stiff legged deadlifts @ 11 reps. So it won't take long for you to up the weight.

Just remember your muscles need at least 72 hours of rest to re-grow into stronger ones, so doing any exercises while still sore will only hinder you. Just don't get too enthusiastic and want to do bodybuilding too often. One of the important aspects is getting lots of rest!

Extreme Ectomorph
    Alright, here's my new routine.

Day 1

Full Squat
    Standard Squat
    Calf Raises
    Bicep Curl
    Reverse Curl

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3

Flat Bench
    Incline/Decline (will cycle) Bench
    Upright behind neck press
    Standing upright row
    Shrugs
    Close grip BPress

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5

Deadlift
    SL Deadlift
    Pull up
    Bent over row
    Abs

Day 6 & 7 - Rest

I didn't like the thought of doing Squats and DL on the same day, so I switched it up for myself. I'm really curious to try this low volume workout, so I'll stick with this for a month and see how it goes. Will post my lifts later this afternoon.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Alright, I started on day three simply because when I was re-arranging my room earlier today I felt a small twinge in my lower back. Wasn't sure what it was, but I figured I'd give it a day or two off to recover.

Bench Press
    17.5kg x 8
    32.5kg x 7

Incline Bench Press
    30kg x 6
    30kg x 5

Upright Shoulder Press
    20kg x 8
    27.5 x 6

Upright Row
    20kg x 10
    30kg x 7

Shrugs
    30kg x 10
    50kg x 10

I could've probably lifted more, but I was pretty tried from the other workouts, and my grip on the bar would've given out before my upper back.

Felt odd doing lower volume, not used to it I guess, but I'm willing to stick out and really try it. My shoulders certainly felt it during the upright press, but I'm not sure about the other workouts.