The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

1 month out- 1st PL-ing meet

I am officially signed up for the 22nd, 24th, and 26th powerlifting events here on our base in Iraq. I've never done one, so I have a few newbie questions...

What type of workouts should I do until the meet? I was thinking I was going to max on bench and squat one more time (I just did deadlift) before the meet and hit light weights and high reps after that. I was also going to make sure not to work the muscle group that will be used in each event less than a week out.

My weight right now is hovering in the 170-173 lb. range and the max weight is 179 for the class I want to compete in so I'm eatting as much as possible right now. What type of foods should I eat from a couple of days out until the meet? I plan on taking creatine throughout the days of the meet. Is this a good idea?

My starting weights for each event are going to be...
    295 bench
    395 dead
    335 squat
    Just to get some numbers on the board. My maxes are listed in my signature below. Are these good starting numbers to work from?

Thanks for all of the help. I just want to be at the top of my game that day, as I'm sure you can all understand.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would ramp up the intensity and do heavy doubles and triples. Push the volume a little, but you don't want to overtrain.

Make sure you get at least a full week of rest before the comp - some people will need more.

There's really no reason to take a max between now and the meet unless you just need to psychologically.

I think it's awesome that you are going to compete. I'm sorry I couldn't give you concrete numbers to follow. Good luck and keep us updated!!!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Watchya talkn bout willis
    Hope you do good
    Last edited by North; 09-20-2006 at 03:18 PM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Everything Sensei said. Also, I would possibly start with lower weight than what you have chosen. Open with something you can at least double.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Thanks for the help guys. I kinda feel bad that I posted this and then answered a few of my questions later by searching for topics on first time meets. Sorry about that.

I've been seeing a lot of starting with a lower weight first, so I think I will drop my weights a little bit. Something like...
    B-275
    D-385
    S-320 (wish my squat was stronger, I have that wierd back bending syndrome)

So you think a full week of not lifting before the comp, is the best way to go? I was going to not train any of the muscles involved in each lift at least a week away. Sorry if that's confusing, I think I'm confusing myself.

Thanks again for all of the tips and support. I will definitely keep you updated, if not here, in my journal.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

Based on your 1RMs I would say open with these numbers

Bench 265
    Deadlift 365
    Squat 300

In general you should open with no more then 80% of your 1RM to get a good lift. If this is your first meet and your not 100% sure of the rules then you could be thrown a curve... say for instance having to sit in a squat longer then your used to or having to pause on a bench for longer then your used to. This is double because most if not all people do not practice paused reps with max effort weights, unless you do alot of meets.

Keep well hydrated and make sure you weigh in before hand so you can carb up and get alot of liquids in you.