Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Does the Smith Machine bar weigh 45 lbs or 0 lbs?

  1. #1
    The Man of Steel -Superman-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,016

    Does the Smith Machine bar weigh 45 lbs or 0 lbs?

    I had to use the Smith Machine yesterday because there was no spotter to spot me for bench pressing. I thought you are not supposed to count the bar in the Smith Machine as weight to your bench. I put up the weight I use to bench with the regular barbell thinking that I had to have the weight in plates as I do with the barbell and weights with the normal bench press. I ALMOST KILLED MYSELF!

    Can someone tell me if the Smith bar weighs the same weight as the barbell (45lbs) or if you don't count it and it weighs 0 lbs?
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

    Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

    Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

    Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

  2. #2
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    If you took the bar off the machine and weighed it, it would weigh 45lbs. It has nothing to do with the bar, it's easier because the machine balances the weight for you as you move it up and down.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  3. #3
    Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    349
    I was told by a trainer at my gym to count it as 10. It may depend on the machine, though. It's actually kind of nice, cause then a 45 on each side makes for 100lb total to start from.
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

    bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

    goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

  4. #4
    Former Fatass Unreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SLC,UT
    Posts
    3,084
    Who cares? Smith=devil machine. Next time use dumbbells or just go lighter on barbell that day. You don't have to go to failure. I rarely use a spotter while benching.
    Nick V

  5. #5
    Senior Member miken5254's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    209
    Look around the machine to find a sticker that tells you the weight of the bar. Usually they are 15lbs. You may have been using a heavier one or you just weren't used to the machine if it almost killed you.
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

    "Success is a journey, not a destination."

  6. #6
    The Man of Steel -Superman-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by miken5254
    Look around the machine to find a sticker that tells you the weight of the bar. Usually they are 15lbs. You may have been using a heavier one or you just weren't used to the machine if it almost killed you.
    So they are not 45 lbs literally? I know the machine balances it, but I don't see how a 10lb or 15 lb bar can support 200-300 lbs in plates. Thanks for replies.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

    Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

    Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

    Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

  7. #7
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    A lot of them are counterweighted via pulleys.

    But don't use them.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  8. #8
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    So they are not 45 lbs literally? I know the machine balances it, but I don't see how a 10lb or 15 lb bar can support 200-300 lbs in plates. Thanks for replies.
    It's not a 10-15 pound bar.

    If anything, it's possible that it weighs more than 45 pounds judging from the one at my gym. The pulleys, however, take a lot of the load. I only measure the thing at 15 pounds or so.

  9. #9
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,854
    I've alwasy been told it was 15..lol
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  10. #10
    Senior Member miken5254's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    209
    What I meant was that in the machine it weighs 15lbs, for example if you bench the bar with zero added weight, it would be as if you were benching 15lb. Sorry if i wasn't clear enough.
    Last edited by miken5254; 09-19-2006 at 07:06 PM.
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

    "Success is a journey, not a destination."

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    335
    The bar probably actually weighs 45 but is counter-balanced which results in it weighing about 15. Meaning it takes 15 pounds of pressure to raise it.

    Take the weights off and you'll see that you can easily lift it with 1 finger. It's definitely not pushing down at 45 pounds. At least not the ones I've seen before...
    Stats
    Age: 22 Height: 5'-8" Weight: 175 (6-10-07)
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

    Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

    Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

  12. #12
    ANVIL POWER Detard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,533
    the one at my gym doesnt weigh anything. if you take all plates off it and touch it even the slightest bit, it will shoot to the top...
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

    "im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

    TJW

  13. #13
    ...and then there was iron Andre3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    the sco
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    I had to use the Smith Machine yesterday because there was no spotter to spot me for bench pressing. I thought you are not supposed to count the bar in the Smith Machine as weight to your bench. I put up the weight I use to bench with the regular barbell thinking that I had to have the weight in plates as I do with the barbell and weights with the normal bench press. I ALMOST KILLED MYSELF!

    Can someone tell me if the Smith bar weighs the same weight as the barbell (45lbs) or if you don't count it and it weighs 0 lbs?
    Dude if it weighed 0 lbs it would be nonexistant.

  14. #14
    The Man of Steel -Superman-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by jww13
    The bar probably actually weighs 45 but is counter-balanced which results in it weighing about 15. Meaning it takes 15 pounds of pressure to raise it.

    Take the weights off and you'll see that you can easily lift it with 1 finger. It's definitely not pushing down at 45 pounds. At least not the ones I've seen before...
    Thanks makes sense. So with 2 45's on each side, it would take 195 lbs of force to raise 225 lbs of weight.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

    Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

    Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

    Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    Thanks makes sense. So with 2 45's on each side, it would take 195 lbs of force to raise 225 lbs of weight.

    yes exactly.. its called a counterweight... there is a pulley and weight system used in smith machines.


    if you dont understand what that means or how it works go to google... which, by the way, could have answered all of this from the beggining... as well as the search function on this site

  16. #16
    The Body Never Lies Nosaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    0
    Oh snap, Brain just roasted your a$$!
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    smith machines have their application

    my gym is a 55lb bar with a 20lb counterweight.

  18. #18
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    For some reason the smith's at my gym say to count the bar as 22 lbs. The only thing I use it for is calf raises, though, and a few lbs here and there isn't going to make much difference with 500 lbs on the bar.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  19. #19
    Training
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    420
    The Smith Bar, is a Barbell. It weighs 45 pounds. If you need a spotter then your lifting to heavy.
    Starting over...

  20. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    For some reason the smith's at my gym say to count the bar as 22 lbs. The only thing I use it for is calf raises, though, and a few lbs here and there isn't going to make much difference with 500 lbs on the bar.
    I've tried this and my grip gives out. Its tough for me even with straps.

  21. #21
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Al3X
    The Smith Bar, is a Barbell. It weighs 45 pounds. If you need a spotter then your lifting to heavy.
    This isn't what the OP is asking. Also, it's better to be safe than dead.

  22. #22
    Senior Member malkore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    315
    45lbs, plus whatever resistance/friction gets generated on the poles it slides on. my gyms' smith machine isn't counterweighted.

    I use it quite often....to lean against for bicep curls, or hang off of for pull ups or lateral raises

  23. #23
    Senior Member miken5254's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by malkore
    I use it quite often....to lean against for bicep curls, or hang off of for pull ups or lateral raises
    Lol everyone on this board uses the smith machine for its unintended purposes. Sometimes I use it for tricep bench dips
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

    "Success is a journey, not a destination."

  24. #24
    Training
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    420
    If you train to failure every single time obviously something is wrong.
    Starting over...

  25. #25
    The Man of Steel -Superman-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Al3X
    If you train to failure every single time obviously something is wrong.
    Thats what I was told in order to build muscle. I rip my muscles apart every time I go to the gym. I can barely walk and can't move my arms. I have gained over 20 lbs in under 3 months. If you just train the same amount everyday you will just maintain muscle. If you train with less weight everyday you will lose muscle. Is this stuff not right? That's what I was told?
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

    Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

    Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

    Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •