The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 40 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 3010
    USAPL, no knee wraps for raw.

Legs

ATF Paused Squats
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    275 x 5
    315 x 5
    350 x 2

Good Mornings
    135 x 10
    205 x 5
    205 x 5
    205 x 5

Calf ****

Lighter session today, decided to try out the deep paused squats after discussing them in chevelle's journal. They definitely felt different, but in a good way. May be something I throw in regularly. Going to start real slow with GM's and really focus on form. Still had the usual lower back pump but it was bearable.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Easing into the GMs is smart, that movement can be tweaked to target either hams or back depending on what stance you take and if you bend your knees a little...like them paused squats too.

Yeah I really need to figure out how to really target the hams the most with GM's. I really feel it in my lower back and glutes the most, hence the lower back pump problems I have.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Yeah I really need to figure out how to really target the hams the most with GM's. I really feel it in my lower back and glutes the most, hence the lower back pump problems I have.
    I normally go for a close stance (Shoulder width or narrower) and try and keep my legs as straight as possible. I also find focussing on putting my ass back as far as possible will increase the stretch in my hamstrings.

Nice looking sessions. Especially liking the weight you put up on the pause squats.

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    I normally go for a close stance (Shoulder width or narrower) and try and keep my legs as straight as possible. I also find focussing on putting my ass back as far as possible will increase the stretch in my hamstrings.

Nice looking sessions. Especially liking the weight you put up on the pause squats.
    Yeah that's the way I used to do them, however I tend to lock my legs when I really stick my ass back like that and one of my training partners told me to bend at the knee slightly. I think the knee bend throws me off.

About 2 days left till the meet. Weight is 183 - 184 butt naked in the morning. I know I could easily drop a couple pounds by doing a depletion workout but I really don't want to be depleted for the meet. I know single lifts don't use much glycogen but I still think it makes a difference. If anybody remembers Built, she's helping me cut water for Saturday morning. She thinks I should be able to make weight easily just by dropping water weight. She's probably right, but I'm still nervous being this lean and still a few pounds over. I may pick up an enema just in case I'm still over Saturday morning lol.

I'm still trying to decide on what to eat after weigh-ins and during the meet. Thinking Pedialyte and some BCAA's first. Then maybe snack on some bananas, whey shake, nutrigrain bars, etc. I do have waxy maize and dextrose powder as well. I don't know how long the meet is supposed to last but obviously I need food that's easy on the stomach and digests quickly.

So I'm currently ~180 with clothes on, and I just ate my last normal meal so it looks like I'll def make weight. Hopefully the water keeps coming off throughout the evening/night, I'm gonna try to start carbing-up in a couple hours, will obviously weigh myself as I go.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Planned openers?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

315/400/500

400/315/500? Full power goes Squat, bench, dead.

Are you shooting for a certain overall total?
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    315/400/500
    n00b.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Lol. That's what I meant.

I'd really like a 1350+ total.

That would be sick a total! Anything over 1300 raw in the 181 class is just getting crazy!
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

There will be an overall meet winner for Men's and Women's Raw and Equipped divisions based on the Wilkes formula. Would like to at least come close to winning the overall Mens Raw seeing as light as I am.

I should break 1300 if I hit all my 2nd attempts.

Just got back from the meet. I'm pretty exhausted so I'll try to get some vids up later this week. Couple things didn't go so well but it was my first meet, you live and learn I guess. I wasn't paying attention to the flight order when the meet first started and missed my first squat attempt because I was taking a ****, lmao. Hit 425 easy as **** for my second squat, then I got way too greedy and went for 470. Dunno what I was thinking really, missed it obviously, although it definitely wasn't a bomb by any means. Pretty pissed, I had 450 in me easy.

On bench, I didn't know USAPL made you keep your heels on the ground. I know some feds let you just touch your toes, as long as your feet don't move obviously. They didn't say **** about feet during the rules meeting so I didn't think anything of it. They let it slide for my opener but said I'd get 3 reds if I didn't have my heels on the ground for my next lifts. Threw me off a little bit as I lose a lot of my arch when I plant my feet flat. Still hit 330 for my second. Missed 340.

Deads went about as expected. 500 was a joke. 540 was decent. Missed 555 literally about an inch from lockout. Honestly never missed a lift so close to lockout before. Came off the floor like a breeze and then it just would not ****ing budge once I got half way up my thigh.

Ended up totaling 1295, lol. Really wanted 1350 but I'll have to live with it for now. Was still a really good experience, next time should go much better. Weighed in at 180.5, so I cut that pretty ****ing close.

Yea I was confused a little bit on flights ran my first time as well. 1295 is a sick total for anyones first meet! Congrats on getting out there and competing. Did the powerlifting bug get you? Excellent job cutting! 180.5 is almost spot on I made the mistake of cutting 3lbs to light. Did you water or sodium load? Suana, spit cup? Any of that fun stuff?

And holy fast meet! How did that get over so fast lol? Prepare to feel like you've been hit by a train tomorrow.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 10-23-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Glad to see you go through all that first hand and see what it is like on your own.

Super seeing you step out that way for your debut.

Thomas you were right on, I can't believe how sore I am today lol.

I upped my water intake the week before and cut water and sodium on Friday.

Shoulders/Back/Bi's

Military Press
    95 x 10
    135 x 10
    165 x 5
    185 x 7
    195 x 4
    165 x 8

Wide Grip Pullups
    Bw x 10
    Bw + 45 x 5
    Bw + 45 x 5
    Bw + 70 x 5
    Bw + 45 x 9

Upright Row
    95 x 10
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    135 x 8

Machine Row
    200 x 10
    250 x 5
    250 x 5

Cable Curls (straight bar)
    120 x 10
    150 x 5
    170 x 5
    180 x 5
    190 x 5

Standing Hammer Curls
    50 x 10
    50 x 10
    40 x 15

Felt good to get back in the gym. Gonna try something different with my diet for the next couple months, we'll see how it works.

Off days, no carbs, 2k cals max. Days that I lift, around 3k cals, 200 - 300 grams carbs mostly eaten post workout with 50 - 100 eaten about an hour before. High protein on training days, around 250 grams. Obviously I'll adjust things weekly as I go. Biggest thing I'll have to play around with is carbs, I want to take in just enough to keep glycogen full.

Why the diet change? I would shrivel up and die on that. Are you trying to lean out for something certain or just for yourself?
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Happy to see everything turn out really well (even if you think it could have been better). It's always a learning experience. At least you know you'll have a bigger jump between totals for when you compete again. I think every PLing meet that I have done has shown an increase in my total.

I'd love to follow your steps and do a PLing meet. I like the raw meets personally, it's the truest test of strength, compared to the equipped meets.

You were able to wrap your knees right? I must have missed that tidbit.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post

You were able to wrap your knees right? I must have missed that tidbit.
    No wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Why the diet change? I would shrivel up and die on that. Are you trying to lean out for something certain or just for yourself?

Haha, I take it you weren't aware of the diet I've been following for almost a year now. This'll probably be the most carbs per week I've had in a long time.

I'm trying my own recomp style diet. I originally started cutting because I wanted to do a bodybuilding show. I still want to see what I look like at 6% bf or less. I don't care if I have to sacrifice some strength gains to stay lean. Obviously I'm strict with my diet so I'm hoping I'll get it down to the point where I'm gaining some quality mass with little to no fat gain. I've found out fat loss gets exponentially harder the leaner you get, so I'm not really expecting to lose much more fat at this point. Just trying to make some decent gains over the next few months and stay within at least 10% bf. Should make my next real cut a million times easier.

I'd really like to compete at 181 again and the only way that'll happen if I put on very much mass at all is if I'm absolutely shredded. I also think it'd be pretty funny to do a powerlifting meet in near bb show condition.
    Last edited by Invain; 10-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.

That would be badass. One of my goals is to be a shredded 8% 181er with a 1300lb total. Being strong and lean is very impressive. Sadly I was the leanest guy at the pl comp I went too. I'll take it you were as well?
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Wow, you already had your powerlifting competition?! That was fast... don't know why, though. You did count us down. You may not feel like you performed well but those are awesome numbers for that weight class and you know it. Great experience, huh? When will you do it again? That would look awesome to be bodybuilding conditioned on the platform SFW! You won't fit in with the fatties, though.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal