The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    lifting heavy

Baseball coach dealing w/old myths

I am a high school varsity baseball coach. This is my first year of coaching. The weight room in my school ib boderline inadaquate and small. It is also very crowded but I think I can get my team in there hopefully twice a week for conditioning work. I brought the team in and told them to continue lifting like thery were last year. I wanted to see what kind of strength program the old coach had implemented. What I witnessed cused bile to creep up into the back of my throat. I saw a 135lb senior doing wrist curls for ultra high reps to "feel the burn. I turned my head and saw a senior doing half squats w/ 115lbs. The worst thing I witnessed were players benching only down to a 90 degree angle at their elbow b/c their old coach told them not to go down any further. Since we only have at most 2 days to be in the room and it is small and cramped I made up a quick routine on the spot for my players.
    They are to squat(showed them ATF, you should of heard the gasps from the players), Bench ( to the chest), rows, and dead lifts. I figure these 4 mov'ts should cover most everything. I realize I am missing an overhead lift and pull ups but oh well. Any suggestions or comments

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

For baseball players.... Hiit would be good too...
    Gets thier speed and endurance up... Running to thru those bases helps too..

lifting heavy
    I agree. I do plan on running them pretty hard this fall. Lots of circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
    I am a high school varsity baseball coach. This is my first year of coaching. The weight room in my school ib boderline inadaquate and small. It is also very crowded but I think I can get my team in there hopefully twice a week for conditioning work. I brought the team in and told them to continue lifting like thery were last year. I wanted to see what kind of strength program the old coach had implemented. What I witnessed cused bile to creep up into the back of my throat. I saw a 135lb senior doing wrist curls for ultra high reps to "feel the burn. I turned my head and saw a senior doing half squats w/ 115lbs. The worst thing I witnessed were players benching only down to a 90 degree angle at their elbow b/c their old coach told them not to go down any further. Since we only have at most 2 days to be in the room and it is small and cramped I made up a quick routine on the spot for my players.
    They are to squat(showed them ATF, you should of heard the gasps from the players), Bench ( to the chest), rows, and dead lifts. I figure these 4 mov'ts should cover most everything. I realize I am missing an overhead lift and pull ups but oh well. Any suggestions or comments
    your program is good....

but, in case u are interested, this is a program designed by the Iron Addict which is a Westside Style Program for 2x a week:

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Addict
    After only a couple weeks on the last WSB routine I posted I decided I needed more recovery time at the moment for a variety of reasons. Here is my new one, and It is somewhat like some of the 2-days I write for trainees. The differences being the volume of assistence work is somewhat higher than I write for most people, and the ME lifts change every week for me, while for most trainees they rotate every 2-3 weeks. No speed work now, but it can be added at 5-6 sets max.

This routine and the prvious one posted will likely give BETTER results for most trainees as opposed to the 3 full WSB workouts posted in the first sample version.

Have fun!

Monday
    Pull-down abs 3 x 10
    Lightened BP x 1
    Bar Extensions in Rack 3 x 8
    DB Bench 4 x 8
    Lateral Raise 4 x 8

Tuesday
    GPP

Wednesday
    Off

Thursday
    Weighted Abs 2 x 10
    Box Squat x 1
    SLDL x 8
    Pullthroughs 3 x 8 Dorian Row 4 x 8

Friday
    GPP

Saturday
    Off

Sunday
    Off

Monday
    Pull-down abs 3 x 10
    GCBP BP x 1
    DB Bench 4 x 8
    Lateral Raise 4 x 8

Tuesday
    GPP

Wednesday
    Off

Thursday
    Weighted Abs 2 x 10
    GM’s x 1
    Box Squat 1 x 8
    Pullthroughs 3 x 8
    Dorian Row 4 x 8

Friday
    GPP

Saturday
    Off

Sunday
    Off

Monday
    Pull-down abs 3 x 10
    Dumbbell Bench 2 x 6, PUASE EVERY REP
    Tricep PD 2 x 10
    Lateral Raise 4 x 15

Tuesday
    GPP

Wednesday
    Off

Thursday
    Deadlift x 1
    SLDL LIGHT 2 x 10
    Glute/ham raise 3 x 8
    Dorian Row 4 x 8

Friday
    GPP

Saturday
    Off

Sunday Off
    here's the link to the original article: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2666

i dont know how useful it will be to you, but u should nonetheless look through the original thread to find out what questions ppl asked IA and how he responded..

another approach to the whole thing is: have then do an upper-lower kind of split with big compound exercises

for example,

Workout A
    bench 5x5
    incline bench press 3x6
    military press 3x8
    barbell rows 4x6
    chin-ups to failure in 3 sets

Workout B
    squats 5x5
    deadlifts 5x5
    leg curls 3x12
    crunches, etc for abs

i hope i've been of help to you

peace and best of luck coach

Sentinel

Training
    Some good advice has been given so far. I would say just work around the three major compounds: Dead, Sqaut, and Bench. Although doing that will require a 3 day, split if you could arrange that it would be great. Try to do an Upper (Push), Lower, Back (Pull) routine. Since you have a lot of players, do something to get in, and get the job done quickly. Most of their progress will be seen, when there not practicing. Since usually players train in the offseason to get the job done... Also throw in some intense conditioning like HIIT that was mentioned above.
    Starting over...

lifting heavy
    I do not have access to the weight room more than 2 days a week. The football team is always in there. I am trying to work around the 3 major compounds along w/ rows. Its a serious time and space issue. I checked out the Iron mind routine and now I am considering adding GM's but I am a little worried about teaching them form.

2 x's per week total body is more than enough, given the training volume you'll be putting them through on the field. I say stick with basic compound movements, like Al3x suggested. The big 3 should be the foundation. I'm thinking some olympic style lifts, thrown in for explosive training, wouldn't be a bad idea, for later on. You're going to have to cut alot of the bull**** out of the routines given your time constraints. Charting progress is going to be important, as well. Dietary is also going to be real important. You're going to have to encourage them to take in enough quality calories to progress. You may want to check with the football coaches, and see if it would be possible to train with them, maybe once a week. There's absolutely no reason why baseballers can't train like footballers.

DJ
    Last edited by djreef; 09-18-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    if there in there two days a week i would either do a full body workout each time or one day legs one day upper body. that should work well. also the half way bench that is awfull. have them do dumbell bench press of just normal bench or pushups. have them do anywhere from 3 sets of 5-12 reps on the bench with a spotter actually all exercises. i mean could give you a plan. but i would use for upper body the bench, side raise, tricep ext, curls, wrist curls, lat pulldown, rows, legs- squats, calf rasies, lunges , leg curl, leg extension/ also have them do there abs,forearms on both days and rotator cuff exercises which are great for the shoulder look online for these exercises and these are great for the whole team

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
    I do not have access to the weight room more than 2 days a week. The football team is always in there. I am trying to work around the 3 major compounds along w/ rows. Its a serious time and space issue. I checked out the Iron mind routine and now I am considering adding GM's but I am a little worried about teaching them form.

Im by no means a qualified coach or personal trainer but what I suggest for baseball training is an olympic based routine. 2x a week with the little time is hardly enough to get some serious weighttraining done but a lift like the powerclean will dramatically improve your players speed and explosive power while strengthing them head to toe.

Highschool players are young and usually don't understand the meaning of certain exercises. They think that doing wrist curls will strengthen there throw by improving forearm strength they fail to see that a strong back=strong forearms. Have them max on powercleans and then have them work with percentages based on there 1rm. Ab work is also important for baseball players, all hitting and throwing power comes from the core so make them do a 2 minute intense ab session in the end.

I've only coached little league baseball and youth swim teams so I'm not competent to respond on issues of high school varsity sports, but in my experience I've found you have to have a pretty good imagination to get them the training they need.

In the absence of time and adequate weight training facilities you have to think of substitutes, for example--when you can't get them into a squat rack have them run up the stadium steps while carrying another player [or other load] on their backs.

Of course it's not a 100% solution, but if done safely it should give them some much needed lower body strength without having to fight the football team for time and space in the gym.

Good luck.

[Double post, sorry.]
    Last edited by beatlesfreak; 09-18-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Training
    Then just do two full body days. Leaving five days of rest. Or if you could take some weights outside (bb, db, plates etc..) and lift at your leisure. If you could possibly do that, you could teach proper form, and different variations. Just an idea.

Beatlesfreak, you can delete the post.

1) Edit > Delete > Voila.
    2) Edit > Delete Text > Save
    Last edited by Al3X; 09-19-2006 at 08:21 AM.
    Starting over...

lifting heavy
    i appreciate all the responses. i am going to go with 2 days a week with the basic lifts i listed before hand along w/ Power cleans and gm's.Next week I am going to test them in the big 3.

lifting heavy
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlesfreak
    I've only coached little league baseball and youth swim teams so I'm not competent to respond on issues of high school varsity sports, but in my experience I've found you have to have a pretty good imagination to get them the training they need.

In the absence of time and adequate weight training facilities you have to think of substitutes, for example--when you can't get them into a squat rack have them run up the stadium steps while carrying another player [or other load] on their backs.

Of course it's not a 100% solution, but if done safely it should give them some much needed lower body strength without having to fight the football team for time and space in the gym.

Good luck.
    I love this idea. making them carry people will definetly get them stronger.

......or put them in the hospital.

DJ

Training
    Seriously. I can just imagine a player dropping someone from the top, and then a lawsuit would follow
    Starting over...

lifting heavy
    yea I thought better of that idea. But right now they are heading to the weight room as we speak and they have really been buying into the program.

Wannabebig Member
    I think your plan is good but power cleans are really hard to get good form and i know your players will start complaining about that also have a shoulder exercise in their and abs and forearms those things are used just as much as as anyother exercsie. I have read all the baseball lifting books 52-week, and baseball conditiong and the abs, forearms,and rotator cuffs as well as shoulders should not be overlooked.