The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    I'm working on it!
    lolololololol awesome xD
    "F-ck life before it f-cks you"

17 yrs old, female
    130 lbs, 5'8"

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    I'm working on it!
    You had better run boy...Very far, and very fast....
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Wow... so for some reason my knee has been HORRIBLE the past couple days, totally unsure as to why, but I guess it does what it has to do...

anyway... Gonna make this quick cuz I have a crapload of studying to do...

Bench Press: 45 lbs: 2X15, 60 lbs: 1X10, 75 lbs: 1X5, 80 lbs: 3X5 (I couldnt get the very last rep all the way up, it died about 3/4...), 75 lbs: 2X5
    -->Best weight IVe done yet!!!
    Pec Dec: 65 lbs: 3X8

Preacher curls: 45 lbs: 3x10
    Bicep curls: 20 lbs: 3X10

I then went to show my partner how to squat, it took qiute a while,and was probably for the better because my knee was too sore to do any leg work today. After that, Lucas decided to convince us, yet again, to do ab work with him. So we did situps on the incline with the medicine balls (9 lbs) 3 X15. I couldnt really feel it though, I think im going to have to do more weight next time!

OVerall, that bench press destroyed me lol... Everything afterwards was dead, but it was good and I was happy to get the 80 lbs down. Hopefully ill be able to keep jacking up the weight!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

lifting heavy
    good job on the bench. Keep it up.

Friday workout:

Went really well, I was super tired that day as I could hardly sleep at all the night before(For some odd reason I was tossing and turning the WHOLE night!). I showed my workout buddy how to deadlift today, it took her a while to stop being afraid of the bar (she kept trying to pick it up a few inches away from her legs and then keepit away from her body the whole time, needless to say she kept loosing her balance... It was kinda funny to watch though). She finally started using her shins a bit as she was lifting it and started to like the movment... which is good.

Anywho:

Rack pulls: 45 lbs: 1X15, 95 lbs: 1X15, 135 lbs: 1X10, 185 lbs: 5X5 (came up pretty easy this time around!)
    Arnies: 20 lbs: 1X8, 25 lbs: 2X8
    rear delt raises: 12 lbs: 3X10
    cable pulldowns: 120 lbs: 1X15 (5 straight, 5 to each side), 135 lbs: 2X10.

LEg extensions: 45 lbs: 3X8 (one leg at a time)
    LEg Curls: 45 lbs: 3X8 (See above)
    Hip adductor/inductor: 120 lbs: 3X10 (both ways).

Yeah. IT was a long workout today, but I felt pretty good; although I have a nasty ache in my knee today... Ugh...
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Great rack pulls

lifting heavy
    Impressive rack pulls. It is no wonder your back looks really good.

Thanks you guys! My back definately seems much stronger in comparison to the rest of my body. LOL. Im very proud of them though! I cant wait till I get back to the 200 lb mark again.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

nice workout...like everyone else, I'm really impressed with your rack pulls
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Thanks all you guys! I appreciate the comments! Mondays' workout went pretty well, and i got in a good 20 mins of stretching at the end! I have lost a pound and a half since I started eating 'healthy' a month or so ago, Basically ive just stopped eating from the cafeteria at lunch and am now bringing my own lunches, substituting coke for milk (some of the time) and just generally eating better... Yeah, Im pretty happy with the results as of right now, ill have to test my bf% in a month or so to see where I am.

Pull ups (assisted) - 45 lbs: 5X5
    One arm dumbell rows - 30 lbs: 3X8 (these came up pretty easy... again- Ill have to try 35 lbs next time!)
    Lat pulldowns- 80 lbs: 1X8, 90 lbs: 1X8, 85 lbs: 1X8

Skullcrushers - 45 lbs: 1X8, I decided to switch to a narrower grip after this and my goodness did it ever make itmore difficult! 40 lbs: 2X8
    Tricep pulldowns: 50 lbs: 3X8

LEg extensions: 50 lbs: 3X8
    leg curls: 45 lbs: 3X8

Next week my partner will be starting on her own routine, ill probably have her do one of the WBB ones, or mabye a bgb adaption... Dunno yet, but Ill put something together for her.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

lifting heavy
    good looking workout Ruffian. Good job on those rows.
    Last edited by Ricky Bobby; 11-01-2006 at 07:26 PM.

your workouts look fun lol.

anyway, just stopping by.. gl with your knee btw

17 yrs old, female
    130 lbs, 5'8"

Ricky- Thanks, my first time with 30 lb dumbells ever!
    Teaturtle-Thanks, hopefully Ill be able to get in soonish for surgery *crosses fingers*

Anyway, i havnt been around much the past couple days cuz of that school stuff *wrinkles nose* So ill plug up two days worth of stuff on here.

Wednesday:
    Bench Press: Found out that I guess Im doing a 'j-sweep' with these, and this was the first time in the last year deeder ever noticed; i guess you cant tell if you are standing beside someone. Anyway, I bumped my weight back down so I could concentrate on my form, Ill probably do that again the next time I do bench press too.
    45 lbs: 2X15, 80 lbs: 1X5, 75 lbs: 4X5

Incline Dumbell press: 25 lbs: 3X8
    Preacher curls: 45 lbs: 3X10
    Bicep curls: 20 lbs: 3X8 (for some reason my arms were just dead that day).

On Friday I was trying to recover from a cold ,so I was pretty lethargic and ended up taking a super long time to workout... Oh well!

Rack Pulls: 45 lbs: 1X15, 95 lbs: 2X10, 185 lbs: 1X5, 195 lbs: 2X5, 205 lbs: 2X5 (on the last set my knee started to throb on the fourth rep, I figured that was a good enough place to stop). I normally do these with wraps but this week I did 3/4 of the work without and Ill tell ya; my forearms were just dead by the end!

REar delt raises- 15 lbs: 3X8
    Arnies: 25 lbs: 2X8, 20 lbs: 1X10
    Cable pulldowns: 135 lbs: 2X15 (5 front, 5 to each side), 145 lbs: 2X10 (straight)

I then took a nice 20 min stretch session to help loosen up my knee... seems to have helped a bit.

im going away next week from the 7th-->13th (Then on the 13th Deeder (and I) are going out for his 20th bday supper!!!) and I wont be working out on those days, Im thinking it might be a good time for a break anyway, give my knee some time to rest a bit as it seems to be loosing some resiliency. Anyway, I get to go down to New Jersey (and probably get to see New York for the first time ever) and go on a farm with a ton of horses; HEAVEN!

anyways, I should be working out on monday and i will have my laptop with me on this trip but I doubt Ill be up and posting until I come back!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Just poppin in!

Im in New Jersey right now and had to say that I was SOOO Happy to find out that the farm im going to be working for has actual 'real' gym equipment!! Including a powerlifting rack!!! They are planning on building a huge gym on top of their new barn and one of the women at this barn was a competitor in the national figure circuit! This girl is f****** built! No offense or anything Built, you know I love ya, but this girl is totally ripped and she comes out and trains horses for hours after lifting! Anyway, she and I will probably end up doing some training together over the summer, with her husband who was also a professional body builder/ex-powerlifter.

I tell ya man, this is friggen sweet!

I was expecting to have absolutely no means to workout but it appears im wrong! Anyway, thats just my little pop in note.... Just had to say that I was so happy ill be able to keep lifting, maybe Ill actually get a chance to do some powerlifting in the fall (since Ill be able to train my squat and deadlift post surgery *YIPEE!*) Im still taking this week off though, my knee needs the rest.

Ill post again on monday!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Back home... After a rather long layover in both Newark and Minneapolis (9 hours in minneapolis... so I went to the mall of america ) and I got home and Im just totally hatched... Ugh... Oh well, went to workout today and despite a headache totally crushed the numbers I was doing pre-working vacation. YAY! I love taking breaks and coming back strong... literally..

Bench press- 45 lbs: 2X15, 80 lbs: 1X5, 85 lbs: 1X5. At this point Deeder came over and showed me how to do the powerlifting type-bench. I guess I was lifting my feet up and stuff *supposed no-no* anyways, I cut back my numbers and worked on my form... again... The first time was really difficult and the second time I pumped them out so easy it was stupid: 80 lbs: 2X5.

Incline dumbell press: 25 lbs: 1X8, 30 lbs: 2x8 (Did these right beside some guy doing the exact same excersize for 8 reps with 20 lb weights... te he he... that makes this whole thing totally worthwhile!)

Bicep curl: 25 lbs: 3x8 (came up EASY! - I couldnt believe it.... Ive been struggling with these for the past couple months *shrugs*)

PReacher bench: 45 lbs: 3X10

After that I died, Ive had this nasty headache for like 5 days, no joke, and it just wont go away. STarted as a migraine and has now downgraded to an irritating and stubborn pounding headache... I cant concentrate, and just working out seemed to make it worse (increased bloodflow i imagine). If it doesnt go away in a couple days ill probably go see a doc... Taking this much advil affects the potence of my puffers... ugh...

Still no word on the surgery btw.... *tear*
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

lifting heavy
    Shame on you destroying some guys ego like that!! He probably went home and cried himself to sleep.

^ Yeah, poor guy...

17 yrs old, female
    130 lbs, 5'8"

*brushes dirt off shoulder*

Muahaha!!!!

It was really quite funny *nods*. My training buddy was curling 20s and there was some guys who found it quite unbelievable that the two of us were curling more then them... It always makes me laugh when that happens, Deeder said she should have walked up when she put her twenties away, stretched like she was tired and then asked

"so how long did it take you to work up to the twenties?"

Oh dear, that would have been VERY funny!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

are those DB or BB curls?

17 yrs old, female
    130 lbs, 5'8"

Quote Originally Posted by teaturtle
    are those DB or BB curls?
    DB of course!!! Pfft... BB curls suck
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Workouts are lookin ace lil lady

awesome cause i dont think ive ever seen a guy do 20lb BB curls... thatd be pathetic actually

17 yrs old, female
    130 lbs, 5'8"

TT- Yes... that it would... Although, I think some of the uber skinny computer geeks at my school might struggle with it. I think they think that lifting up a mouse is rocket science, they probably sit there and struggle with the physics of the motion and then when they attempt it realize that they are far too weak to do it.... They would then go grab a stick and use hte leverage to turn it over.

Wow. I really thought way too much about that...

Kevin- Thankkkssss.... *blushes*

Oki, time for my fave workout of all.. I totally DESTROYED my past weeks rack pulls and could have easily done more weight except:
    1) I was focusing on going all the way to lockout, I guess Ive been about one inch short,
    2) I am still trying to build up my grip. I got all but the very last set done without wraps and only did the last set because my calluses were starting to rip off :S
    3) I was putting the bar all the way down after every rep, therefore trying to avoid using my momentum to help it back up... God was that hard, especially without wraps!
    and
    4)I was so happy to get this weight done for the 5X5 as I could hardly squeak out one set of it before WITH wraps let alone 5 sets without wraps.

So without further adieu a very proud Ruffian presents her rack pulls :

45 lbs: 1X15, 95 lbs: 2X10, 205 lbs: 5X5

(next week I will try for my past max of 220, I think Ill be able to get that out pretty easy!)

My workout was cut short today because we started late and we were having supper early at my house. Its been an extremely stressfull couple days at home because my step mother just started chemotherapy for her breast cancer. Everyone has been stepping in to fill teh void (cleaning and cooking) so my time has been strained when that is combined with school, work, and trying to maintain a relationship with Lucas and my girlfriends. Its kinda sad I only got a few excersizes done today, but at least I hit my goal for the day on the rack pulls!

Leg Extensions: 50 lbs: 3X8

Leg curls: 50 lbs: 3X8 (for some reason the last set was EXTREMELY painful, I ended up stopping halfway through. My knee was fine after and it is fine today; Ill steer clear of leg work next week though).

Arnies: 25 lbs: 3X8 (I attempted the 30lb weights for the second one, but the rack pulls had totally exhausted me and even though Im sure I could do them on a good day, I just couldnt summon the strength to lift it up to get them started. Ill try these again next week but frankly, Im not hugely concerned. I was struggling with the 25 lb weights last week after doing far less weight on the pulls, so for me to get these after doing far more weight and havfe it easy enough to attempt to bump the weight was pretty damn cool for me)

So yeah.. been quite stressed and tired but that week long vacay did WONDERS for my strength, it was insane! I think I need to make a point of taking one week vacations once every 2 months or so.... Ill probably put up some pictures again next month, the ones I took earlier this year were off of a 3 or 4 month break, so needless to say Im a little bit better looking now that Ive been lifting again.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

lifting heavy
    sick rack pulls ruffian!!