The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Road To Recovery... I hope

Wow... Long time no see for this board! I had a great plan this summer, just as my boy (deedeR) did... However, again it didnt go as planned. I ended up having my knee, which some of you know was giving me problems, start giving me huge issues. I laid off of weightlifting completely for about 4 months and just did some horseback riding to keep myself in shape. Now, Im starting to do some upper body work but that is all I am able to do for now, any sort of motion in my leg causes me severe pain and I am unable to support weight (basically that means, no squats, deads, SLDLs or anything fun ... ). This will go on until I get surgery which could be another year, possibly longer.

So in the meantime, I guess Ill just keep you guys up to date with what im doing, or attempting to do anyways, for the next little while. Its all dependant upon my knees and the amount of pain im in, any bad days are a no, because I do use my legs as support in most everything.

It sux... but hopefully as Deeder says, itll be my chance to balance myself out because my upper body is no where near the same size as my lower body. When I come back I should be good (after some rehab), so cross your fingers that surgery will come sooner rather then later....

Anyways, heres a rough outline of my split. I need to do some adjustments yet, everything as I said is dependant on my knees so some things I might not be able to do some weeks. Right now im mixing in 3X15's and 5X5's, trying to balance endurance and strength. Eventually as I get back into shape ill move more into 5X5's but with me being unable to do most compound movements I dont think Ill achieve very much.... It sux but its better then not being able to walk cuz i was an idiot... As you can tell, since I only have a few areas I can work its pretty hard on those areas. But hey, gotta feed the buzz somehow right

Monday:
    - one arm dumbell rows
    - Lat pulls
    - assisted pull ups (assisted cuz im weak.... lol)
    - bicep curls
    - Preacher curls (if I still have any juice left... which I usually dont by this point)

Wednesday:
    - Bench Press
    - Flies
    - Incline Bench Press
    - Tricep cable Pushdowns
    - Tricep Dips (if I still have any juice left)

Friday:
    - ARNIES ( my fave....)
    - Shoulder press
    - Incline Rear Raises
    - Back Hyperextensions (IF my knee permits)
    - Weighted cable pulldowns

On days where my knee isnt especially bad I will do other non-weighted ab and back work. (ie. regular situps, supermans etc. Just something to give it a bit more work because the weighted stuff takes alot outta me right now). Thats about it... I might try to work in some swimming too, but right now im trying to get myself a job at a farm so i can do some riding in the meantime... but we will see.

Anyways, happy to be back! Hopefully this journal will be able to document my surgery and subsequent rehab as well as other weighted work. If you guys have any tips (have been through this kind of injury before) then it would be helpful. Until then...

HI! ... Again...
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Oh, honey, I'm sorry you're going through this. What a pisser.

Now, your lifts. Can you try to re-arrange them so the heaviest lifts are before the accessory work? For example, do assisted chins before lat pulldowns, military press before Arnies.

Also - how about pairing chest with bis, back with tris (push and pull).

Built... nice timing... lol, i was just about to log off!

I usually do most of the heavier stuff first.. .Although, i hate pull ups so I dont like to do them first... just a me thing, but perhaps I should try it. I havnt really 'defined' a workout sched yet, just feeling things out, and seeing what I can and cannot do. BUt Ill take that in mind as I go on over the next little bit.

AS for your second, I cant usually do back stuff because hyperextensions draws off the hamstrings and causes strain in my knees. At least the way it is allows me to take them out without completely ruining a day worth of excersizes. Plus, then i at least have a bit of substance and can still spread it out over a couple days... I feel so useless otherwise.

LOL. This sux. *pouts* I would much rather that i could squat and deadlift... well... rack pull (I love those). But no, it HAD to be my lower body that went LOL!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

The back stuff I meant was the rowing movements - you've currently got chest paired with tris. Why not do bis after chest? That way your tris get hit twice a week instead of raped ONCE a week.

hehehe... i love your terminology.

Perhaps I will try that out next week. Im a little slow on the uptake right now so bear with me
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Finally

I Finally saw the doctor today, he had good news and bad news... Good news is it is not the knee joint itself which is screwed, which means that some weight lifting is ok. Nothing that involves deep flexion (aka. No deadlifting, or squats but I can do isolated work that doesnt involve the squating and pushing up motion). However, the surgery is going to be more complicated. They are going to be shaving off the bottom of the patella (knee cap to those non-knee pain ppl) to round it off and allow it to slide smoother over the joint. Then they will be doing something called a patellar release where they will cut part of the muscles connected to the patella. In 50% of cases this will cause an improvement. However, at the same time, in the other 50% there is no change or you can experience a change for the worse (some ppl will have dislocation where there wasnt before). My doc says its the best option right now, if this doesnt work they they wil lhave to go in and literally move over my entire muscular structure and knee cap.

Lets hope and pray it doesnt come to that.

Anyways, Im going to be reassessing my workout plan, to accomodate some knee work and possibly some rack pulling (start light and see how this goes.)

As for the past couple days:

Friday:
    - Bench Press - 40 lbs: 2 X 10, 55 lbs: 3X10
    - Incline Bench Press - 20 lbs: 5X5
    - Flies: 20 lbs: 15 lbs: 3X10
    - Tricep cable Pushdowns: 50 lbs: 5X5

Monday:
    - one arm dumbell rows - 20 lbs: 1X10, 25 lbs 2X10, 30 lbs 1X5 (Superset)
    - Lat pulls - 50 lbs: 1X10, 70 lbs: 3X10
    - assisted pull ups: 5X5 (with a 60 lb leverage)
    - Tricep cable Pushdowns - 55 lbs: 4X5, 50 lbs, 1X5
    (Switched this as par Built's reccommendation)
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Heres the sched for today,I attempted to do some leg work today. IT was quite painful but the doc stressed the importance of keeping the leg muscles from atrophying. If anyone has any suggestions to building a new program I would appreciate it

- Bench Press - 40 lbs: 2 X 15, 55 lbs: 3X10
    - Incline Bench Press - 20 lbs: 3X8
    - Bicep curls: 20 lbs: 4X10
    - Leg Extensions: (done with single legs to keep myself from compensating) 30 lbs: 4X10
    - Leg Curls: (same as above) 30 lbs: 4X10

Thas about it for today....
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Alright for yesterday I decided to work in some rack pulls instead of hyperextensions and Im definately feeling them today! However, it was nice to be able to go back to the wonderous feeling of the squat rack, I definately miss it!

Rack Pulls- 40 lbs: 1X20, 90 lbs: 2X10, 140 lbs: 3X5, 160 lbs: 2X5
    Arnies- 20 lbs: 4X10
    Incline Rear Raises- 12 lbs: 3X10
    Weighted cable pulldowns: 105 lbs: 1X15 (front and side-side), 135 lbs: 2X10

I decided to do some more light leg work. I need to be able to do quite a bit of strengthening, I think ill just throw these in when I have time.
    Leg extensions (1 leg at a time)- 25 lbs: 3X10
    Leg Curls (1 leg at a time)- 30 lbs: 3X10
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Monday Oct 2

Yesterday was pretty decent, worked out and then went to the Black Eyed Peas... Which was a GREAT concert, too bad Rihanna was sick. Anywho, heres the stats:

-one arm dumbell rows - 20 lbs 1X15, 25 lbs 3X8
    - Lat pulls - 75 lbs: 4X8
    - assisted pull ups: 45 lbs: 5X5
    - Tricep cable pushdowns: 60 lbs: 5X5

My back was pretty sore from the last day I did rack pulls, as was my legs. So I did a good half hour of stretching and seem to have relaxed myself pretty well. So, yay!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

So Im already doing as much as I did last year, even though i took 4 months off... that is exciting. Anyways.

Bench Press: 45 lbs: 2X15, 65 lbs: 4X10
    Incline Dumbell Press: 25 lbs: 5X5
    Bicep curls: 20 lbs: 3X10, 25 lbs: 1X5 (Superset)
    Hip inductor/adductor: 115 lbs: 3X10 (both ways)
    Leg Extension: 35 lbs: 3X10 (one leg)
    Leg Curl: 35 lbs: 3X10 (one leg)

I also threw in some rotator cuff work cuz it was getting sore... Nothing huge, just a dull ache.

Im pretty happy with how its come out. Th eleg work seems to be helping my knees a tad bit. So yay!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

^^
    Hmmm... Seems to me like I've saw that workout today... Wow.. talk about deja vue!

You looked good doing those bench presses! Definately could have done more! Load it on next week!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wow... the only person who pays attn to my post is my boyfriend... How silly do I look
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian
    Wow... the only person who pays attn to my post is my boyfriend... How silly do I look
    Meh... People will catch on!
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Atta girl, hope everything goes well.

Thanks Kevin!

Yesterday was a pretty decent day energy wise, I actually had lots and was rack pulling weight which was difficult for me last week with twice the reps. Deeder went for his 1 rm on squats so that was impressive, but I miss squatting now *pats flubby legs*

Oh dear.

Anyways, Heres the numbers for yesterday:

Arnies: 15 lbs 1X15, 20 lbs 2X10, 25 lbs 1X10
    Rack Pull: 45 lbs: 1X20, 95 lbs: 2X10, 145 lbs: 1X10, 155 lbs: 1X10, 165 lbs: 1X10, 175 lbs:1X5
    (I think its is pretty decent considering its only my second time out and its for way more reps than last week. Im thinking Im going to continue at this rep range for now, gradually increasing the weight. I need to build both strength and endurance so I think this will work good for me. Opinions?)
    Leg extensions (one leg): 35 lbs: 3X10
    LEg Curl (one leg): 40 lbs: 3X10
    Hip adductor / inductor: 125 lbs: 3X10 (both ways)
    (my legs were feeling pretty good today, Im trying to work in as much weights for them as I can since I cant do the good stuff, but no more then 2ce p/week. )
    WEighted Cable Pulldowns: 125 lbs: 1X15 (5 straight and 5 to each side), 140 lbs: 2X10.

I went and did a whole bunch of stretches yesterday too, I could feel myself stiffening up pretty good but Im feeling quite limber today. (I love stretching, its like... ecstatic). I took Deeder's brother out too to show him some stretches and my god was he totally un-flexible. Maybe its just because Im insanely flexible at the hips but it was baaaddddd.

Then I proceeded to play basketball with deeder and his friends and totally destroyed my knee.... So much for progress pain and inflammation wise, I can pretty much kiss that all goodbye. Next time, someone just needs to remind me that jumping and running arent a good idea yet, no matter how good i think I'm feeling.

*Sigh*

Oh for the love of knees.......
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

lifting heavy
    I am sorry about the knee issue but it is very commendable of you that you are stayin the course. Keep a positive attitude and everything will work out.
    It was very smart of you to do the leg ext. one leg at a time. Workouts look good but I think you could go heavier on the bench.
    Do the rack pulls bother your knee at all? I think you should do more low rep in the rack pulls. the 165x10 and your other warm up sets might have sapped your strength. If you want to warm up to your heavy weight you dont need to rep 10 reps.

Thanks Ricky... As for the rack pulls, on most days no, and on the days where it does I just wont do them because it isnt worth it at this moment in time. Do you think I would be better off on a 5X5?
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

lifting heavy
    I dont know about if 5x5 would be the best but I think it would be much better than the current high rep rack pulls which you have before your heavy pulls. I dont like to do pulls of more than 3 reps b/c I feel that my form goes to sh*t. why not though give 5x5 a shot. In my experience though really low reps have made me the strongest the quickest. good luck

Oops... DP
    Last edited by Ruffian; 10-09-2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

RickyBobby- I was doing a 5X5 as of last year... I need to build both strength and endurance because of what Im planning on doing with it, but perhaps I will start doing the 5X5. I know it builds strength the quickest, with the 5X5 last year I was able to pull 220 lbs...

In other news:
    Today Deeder and I went to a ghetto looking gym (it was pretty ratty looking after our b-e-a-utiful gym at school. Our normal gym was closed because of thanksgiving. They didnt have everything I needed there so I just kinda improvised. IVe decided though that Im going to do skull crushers now as part of my tricep routine because they TOTALLY murdered them. *pats tired triceps*.

Anyway.
    Lat Pulldown- 50 lbs: 1X15, 70 lbs: 3X8
    One arm Dumbell rows- 25 lbs: 4X10
    Skullcrushers- 30 lbs: 1X10, 25 lbs: 2X10
    Leg extensions- 30 lbs: 3X10
    Leg Curl- 30 lbs: 3X10

YEsterday I went to THE ROLLING STONES, and they put on a phenomenal concert. The only bad thing was it was friggen cold (-10) at an outdoor venue and we had to stand the whole time (2.5 hrs). My knee was pretty ****ed up today, but the leg work seemed to have helped with the stiffness a bit. I have a midterm on wednesday so that workout will be moved to either tuesday or thursday depending on how my time pans out. So I wanted to get in a leg workout day before Friday and today happened to be it.

After my workout I did my umpteenth hour of studying Calculus (which i HATE) and then went for a yummy thanksgiving supper with Deeder. I guess I cant complain hey? Two awesome concerts in one week!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Oh come on... It wasn't a "ghetto gym"! It was the YMCA!

But yeah... It was a piss poor gym.
    Full Powerlifting

we're all afraid to post in here because we don't want Deeder to beat us up

everything's lookin' good though, hope it all works out for ya with the knee

and uh, what's up with Thanksgiving supper today??
    EDIT: I'm guessing it's Canadian Thanksgiving?...us Americans are soooo narrow minded
    Last edited by KingWilder; 10-10-2006 at 12:21 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder
    we're all afraid to post in here because we don't want Deeder to beat us up

everything's lookin' good though, hope it all works out for ya with the knee

and uh, what's up with Thanksgiving supper today??
    EDIT: I'm guessing it's Canadian Thanksgiving?...us Americans are soooo narrow minded
    LMFAO! But I need ppl to post and tell me how amazing I am
    In all actuality... Yeah the american school system is narrow minded in everyone but my mother's mind.... You guys learn more about math but you know virtually nothing about any country but your own... Just a fact... *pats* Its not your fault... Really...
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

lifting heavy
    You guys go to a sh*tload of concerts. Skull crushers rock!! I actually celebrated canadian thanksgiving w/ a couple canadian friends. goodtimes. I feel your pain w/the calculus. Just get through it and you will never bother w/it again. Unless your like an engineer.
    Last edited by Ricky Bobby; 10-11-2006 at 06:01 PM.

*Gag* No... no engineering for me.... *shudders*.

Yeah, we have had this sudden influx of FANTASTIC concerts coming to our little bum city, its awesome! WE go from no concerts to concerts every 2 weeks within 6 months. Its absolutely crazy, but, in a good way.

Yesterday I had a quick workout, I didnt have awhole heck of a lot of time and my legs were phenomenally bad yesterday (weather change ?) so I didnt have much endurance. However, I did manage to kill my PR for bench press and pumped it out not too badly. However, my spotters sucked... .I miss my regular goodlooking spotter who doesnt touch the bar every two seconds *ergh*.

I think ill bump it up again next week.

Anyways:

Bench Press: 45 lbs: 2X20, 75 lbs: 3X8
    Bicep curls: 25 lbs: 2X5 (I am trying to get up to the 25's so im doing as much as I can on the 25s and then moving back to the 20s. So far its working... Although, I wish we did have 2.5 lb incriments....) 20 lbs: 2X10
    Pec Deck: (All the incline benches were taken) 85 lbs: 2X10.

My legs died just then... I decided I had had enough... IT kinda sucks when your knees get so battered that you cant even do upper body work... especially when I dont even kknow why. They are perfect today though, even though I think im getting a cold or something.

Well... YAY for fall? I have had so many ****ing midterms these past 2 weeks I cant even sit down to comprehend it. Its just been insanity, 1-2 big midterms p/week for the past 2 weeks. Im exhausted, and Ive hardly seen deeder at all except to study. And then we both have our other friends too so it ends up being a group thing anyways....

ergh.

edit: Yes. I just had to rant a little bit... Im crazy, I know.
    Last edited by Ruffian; 10-13-2006 at 11:44 AM.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL