The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Help for my uncle

Well im seeking advice for my uncle in a werid kind of way. He's overweight, very overweight... I'd say he's 5'6 and weighs 270 pounds. He's a truck driver so his biggest problem is the manner of how and what he eats.

He's been asking my advice and I know already that there are the golden rules:

Calories in < Calories out

Cardio isn't end all be all

and so on and so forth....

My delimea is that he feels cardio is necessary, but I know first hand that its very easy to "overtrain" with cardio and I dont want him to do that. I suggested he do a "trial" run to guage his current level of fitness, because irregardless of how much I reason with him he will still want/demand the cardio. So im going to limit his cardio to prevent overtraining. Due to his current job he really wont be able to lift so to speak as we do and thats a big bomb on his part but he can aslo get it done in the kitchen.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i think you should suggest cardio for him, just for general cardiovascular health's sake. Being 270lbs and 5'6", he probably needs his heart to be stronger than it probably is.

As for diet, keep it simple and keep it easy, and he'll be more likely to stick with it.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Wannabebig Member
    Have him do HIIT. A session of HIIT may leave him satisfied as well as spent.

Does he ever have time to work out, being a truck driver? I'd focus on diet first.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I have several of lyle Mcdonalds ebooks that I'll let him take a look at, I think they will help alot.

You see as ironic as this is going to sound... hes a "gung ho" kinda guy. He thinks he'll have to go into this 100% and that the slightest slip up spells distruction. He also thinks that he has to run marathons, which I dont see him doing a mile without stopping, to make any progress.

Adjusting his diet will be the biggest obstacle, it all comes down to how bad he wants it and I'll let him know just that.

Just to clairfy:

He's had 2 heart attacks at this point, so he has to be carefull.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 10-01-2006 at 10:07 PM.

do not get him to start on hiit. it will ruin him and might kill him considering he's had 2 heart attacks and is severely overweight. start him light.

I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Quote Originally Posted by Bohizzle
    do not get him to start on hiit. it will ruin him and might kill him considering he's had 2 heart attacks and is severely overweight. start him light.
    :withstupi

Heh, Ill have him do a sorta "offline" fitday in a notebook. Its a good idea, but works only if your honest.

I'd actually keep it simple for him. The easier for an unitiated individual to follow diet and fitness routines, the more likely he is to follow it. Secondly, cardio does not mean running. Considering his history of heart disease he'll have to watch out regardless of what he does. I'm guessing a set of heavy squats would push him just as hard as a session of HIIT...either not being good for him. I'd focus on diet and consult his physician on what he should start with. Something tells me his doc probably wants him out walking.

Another thing to consider is his career. He probably doesn't always have time and access for weight training right now. A 20 minute walk or hike might be easier for him to pull off on the road.

I'd also suggest he get an HRM. This will alert him if he's pushing too hard and causing his heart rate to go beyond 'safe' limits. His doc will also help him know what is safe for him.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by ectx; 10-02-2006 at 11:55 AM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

True dat, all good advice so far.

Walking is one thing, and thats what I would have probably suggested to start with. He has done that in the past, and like you said its easy to just pull over at a rest area and go for a breif walk.

The heart rate monitor is good idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    An HRT?
    Sorry...meant HRM...like WBBIRL said...a heart rate monitor.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    An HRT?
    shh!! it's the test talking

shhhh

LOL
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis