The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Straps with deads

I was thinking about using some wrist straps for my deadlifts/rackpulls/grip exercises.

After a few sets of pulling exercises my grip starts to become a little weak and I can't really hold on to the bar, so I was wondering what the opinions were on using straps once my grip dies. I just don't want to screw up my DL when I know I can get another few reps out of it when it's just my grip that can't keep up.

If I get some, I don't plan on using them all the time at all. The only time my grip gives out is during deads or similar heavy exercises.

And a couple of other questions... When I go very heavy on my bench, it feels like I bruise my palms. Other than getting a pair of gloves, is there a way to remedy this?
    And does anyone notice blisters on your hands to become less of a problem as time goes by? I get some pretty wicked blisters from deads. The dead skin is beginning to feel like plastic, and I can literally cut it with a razorblade with no pain. I don't mind that they're there, but hopefully they will grow thicker to guard against blisters. Any insight?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    The straps- I use them for the heavy sets, but dont overuse them or your grip will go down the toilet. (make sure youre using a mixed grip first, though.)

The blisters geive way to calluses after a while, which are pretty much thick pads of dead skin. Its a good thing.

everyone talks abotu calluses from deads and all that, but i've never had much. i never get the ones that rip off and all. my hands are just kinda roug at the base of each finger (primiarlily the three middle ones), and at the first knuckle on the inside. once in a while i pull a little skin off the knuckles, but i could NEVER hit any of it with a razor blade..lo

and as far as straps, i don't use them.

if you want to, i'd suggest keeping your non-strap weight as something that's always coming up. that way your grip is getting better. use straps for the heaviest.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909
    The straps- I use them for the heavy sets, but dont overuse them or your grip will go down the toilet. (make sure youre using a mixed grip first, though.)

The blisters geive way to calluses after a while, which are pretty much thick pads of dead skin. Its a good thing.
    Yes, I said that I would use them on occasion during the ends of a workout when my grip gives way. e.g. I do 5 sets of rack pulls, and at around the end of the third set, my grip becomes weak. I'm sure it will get stronger over time, but I don't want my back to suffer in the meantime. I already do a mixed grip with my deads... always have.

Yeah, I've had calluses for a long time. I spent a little too much time out of the gym, but they are back now probably moreso than ever.

I was hoping they would become tougher, because the blisters are quite painful, though not so painful to stop my workout.

On a similar note, does anyone know of any exercises that are specifically geared towards grip? I don't remember where, but I read about picking up heavy dumbbells and walking around with them. Seems like it would help.
    Last edited by Chris686; 09-19-2006 at 05:05 PM.

I think that's a good plan. I do a 5x5 on deads and rack-pulls and use straps only on my last set.

Never use them on straight-legged deads or barbell rows though because the weight is lighter and I can improve my grip by working without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686
    On a similar note, does anyone know of any exercises that are specifically geared towards grip? I don't remember where, but I read about picking up heavy dumbbells and walking around with them. Seems like it would help.
    Towe pullups, pinching a stack of 10 lb plates... I would just lift more, your grip will improve on its own.

Wannabebig Member
    i have the same problem, my grip is REALLY weak, i do deadlifts 3x8 with 200 lbs, n even at the end of the first set, i start to lose grip, n it annoys me because i should be doing my deadlifts with more weight by now, but i cant hold onto the barbell for that long, n same goes for shoulder shrugs

nothing wrong with using straps... some peoples grip is just not as strong as their back or traps. just make sure you are not dependant on the straps... dont use them unless you have to..and dont be a ****** and use them for stupid things like benching and whatnot... use them on heavy pulling motions when your grip gives out.

the best way to do it is dont use them till your grip fails.. then redo that set at that weight with the straps... just because you used them last week when you deadlifted 405 dont go automatic and use them this week at 405... try without and if you get 3 this week instead of 4 then your grip is improving

Grip used to be a big problem for me too. I would do the same thing, when my grip failed I would use the straps.

For about a year my grip never really improved until this summer... I got a tatoo on my wrist and couldn't use the straps. I'm still sketchy about using them so I haven't used them once since. My grip has absolutely shot through the roof!

I guess it depends on your intentions...

If you aim to be a powerlifter or strongman or any kind then ditch the straps and work on your grip.

If however you just want to be a bodybuilder then who cares if you use straps. You want to lift the most amount you can to put the most stress possible on the primary muscles; take out the weak link. Just make sure you compensate with some grip/forearm specific exercises.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Just go buy some chalk.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

A few months ago I started using straps because I had to reset my grip after every rep and/or wait 10 seconds between heavy pulls. It was bad. I'd feel my grip shorting out doing 225 x 1 just as much as doing 300 x 1. I wanted to get some non-paused reps on heavy deads so I started using the straps. The interesting part was that last week I got it in my head to try and do some rep work without the straps and I did a clean set of 305x3, no pause, no bouncing. Normally with the straps I do 300+ x4 so I guess my grip improved even with using them.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
    Just go buy some chalk.
    My gym doesnt allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909
    My gym doesnt allow it.
    Niether does mine, does it stop me? No.
    Just try to be discreet.

Banned
    If you can't handle the weight on your own, drop the pounds until you can. Straps are a lazy athlete's way out. Deads will give you a killer grip and strong forearms if done without straps. Use chalk. Noone will care.

Quote Originally Posted by growthrep
    If you can't handle the weight on your own, drop the pounds until you can. Straps are a lazy athlete's way out. Deads will give you a killer grip and strong forearms if done without straps. Use chalk. Noone will care.
    I think it depends on the reason you are using straps. I used them because my hands were never dry, not because of any lack of grip. Sweaty hands and a greasy bar make for tough times no matter how good your grip is.

I use straps for anything above 315lbs. I like to focus on the exercise at hand and really maximize the muscles being targeted, plus I like the idea of having a huge back and traps compared to huge forearms, so I see no problem with having to use straps. I have 14" forearms already, I'm not in any rush to get them bigger, nor do I feel like "a lazy athlete" for having to use them, I just have priorities, and a big back is one of them.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.