The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Are you using the Smith machine for squats? I saw somewhere up there that u were...
    is there a problem with that?

Locks your knees into one place, which places all of the weight transfer upon them. It can hurt.

bear_rawr

Don't get paranoid bro, there is nothing wrong with you chest but a few extra pounds.

You should be getting the most out of your workouts by now with less carryover soreness. Start thinking about some exercise variations to implement when you go to cutting the volume.

Incline BB press, Tbar rows, and power cleans come to mind.
    47 / 6' / 212lbs

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Why incline bench and flat bench? Simple variety or something else?
    Still wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by G O R T View Post
    I currently do chest on Monday and Thursday. Monday I do 5-6 sets of dips and then 6 sets of incline bench. Thursday I do 8 sets of flat bench followed by 3-4 sets of cable flys. This is around 24 sets/week on chest which is a good volume high point for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Why incline bench and flat bench? Simple variety or something else?
    Monday's dips and incline bench hit the shoulders hard so I do Lateral raises for delts. Thursday is light on the shoulders so I do power cleans and overhead presses.
    Last edited by G O R T; 06-15-2007 at 08:03 PM.
    47 / 6' / 212lbs

update

Sup all, been working hard, and went up a little bit in weight. Sitting approx~ 170 lbs. Anyone care to guess my BF%? my bathroom scale says im 21.6% ??? I do have a gut, but 21.6%? plz comment/critique !

No legz?

I'm gonna have to go with 13-14% for the body fat.

Edit: damn dude, just looked at your first picture and you look 10x better! Not a skinny little twig anymore . Awesome progress man, I'm sure it took a ton of hard work.

Have you been following BGB this whole time? And you're free squatting now right?
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 07-17-2007 at 03:26 AM.

Oh yeah , good one, I'll get some leg shotz too. Question, How do you pose/flex for a leg shot if you're taking it yourself? stand on your tip-toes? or do a half squat? thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Edit: damn dude, just looked at your first picture and you look 10x better! Not a skinny little twig anymore . Awesome progress man, I'm sure it took a ton of hard work.

Have you been following BGB this whole time? And you're free squatting now right?
    thx bako lifter! It was tough and fun!, I wish I was able to stay a little bit more strict on my gym schedule and diet, but it's hard to juggle it all with school and work. Feels good when people notice the change, because sometimes I don't notice it. and YES I am doing free squats on the BB now! woot woot!

coming on nicely bro, eat big lift big sleep big....get big

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Good work. Keep it up - I'd guess you're at 15-16%
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Quote Originally Posted by bear_rawr View Post
    I came across some random threads while browsing the board today and I just made an observation about my body. Does anyone think I have a sunken-in chest (Pectus Excavatum), b1tch tittes (gyno), and a potbelly! WTF! Take a look at the Top centre and Top right pictures that I posted. thanks
    btw I'm on week 3 of GORT's routine and seeing improvements in my dips :]
    Why are you gaining all that weight but not gaining any muscle?

HOw much has your bench increased from the first picture to now?

You are definitely looking a lot bigger. Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by eddie500 View Post
    Why are you gaining all that weight but not gaining any muscle?

HOw much has your bench increased from the first picture to now?
    I know my BF has gone up, but I'm pretty sure I've gained some muscle. My bench went up 40lbs since the first picture.

You could have pectus excavatum, id need a picture of you side on to tell.
    I had pectus excavatum and i couldnt stand it. As i got more muscular it got more obvious! That doesnt always happen with everybody though, if your pectus excavatum is more centred instead of one pec sunken working out may fix it.
    Anways i had it and had an operation!
    heres my forum that ive talked about it in.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ctus+excavatum
    cheers
    Last edited by Patchy; 03-03-2008 at 10:06 PM.
    "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi

I'm back!

Hi, I haven't been on wbb for a long time but I came across my old thread in my bookmarks and I just took a picture recently so why not update my thread.

The photos in the middle of my post are gone, I guess the host went down, but that was when I was almost 170. Since then I gained up to a max of 178 and then decided to take up muay thai training. Muay thai is some intense conditionion and more cardio than I wanted. I ended up losing about 15lbs I tried hard to gain some of it back and when I did, I had reached the point of competition and my instructor found an opponent for me in the 147lbs weight division. I started my mass gain @ 143, it would have been such a bummer to go from 143-178-147; instead we tried to do a catch weight at around 155. I slowly made my way down to 157lbs and the other guy didn't take the fight and then summer was over!
    I started to try and put mass back on and I'm currently at 163. Here's a photo.
    I'm going to try and hit 175 by spring time with less than 13% bf.

I think I need to switch up my routine. I'm doing Chest Monday (flat db, incline db, decline db, pec deck), back wed (dl, bent over row, chin up, seated cable row, shrugs), squats legs shoulders friday (squat, leg ext machine, ham curl machine, shoulder press machine, lat delt raise machine, inverted row, reverse db flies, rotator cuff). about 3x8-10 for each exercise. Feel free to give me suggestions to change it up.

Where I'm at for strength
    DB bench press 75's per side x 8 reps on 4th set
    DL 225 x 5 on 3rd set
    Squat 275 x 5 on 3rd set

Thanks
    Last edited by bear_rawr; 12-21-2009 at 01:46 AM.

honestly, this isnt myspace

get a photo that can actually be used for its intended purpose.

Not sure I know what myspace is or what you mean by that, but I'm guessing you're hating on the way I covered my face with shadows. well.

maybe this photo taken like everyone elses will serve the "intended purpose" better.
    honestly, thanks for your highly constructive reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bear_rawr; 12-21-2009 at 06:04 AM.

myspace is a website where people use irritating shadows and image effects for no apparent reason. you can blur your face if you want, thats not what I'm talking about.

my post is very constructive because the way the other photo is presented makes it useless as a basis of comparison.. which is what you want by posting here, correct? if thats the case, use practical photos that can allow one to evaluate the picture for its intended purpose. its obvious youve made a lot of progress since your original shot posted in 2006.. but the extent to which is impossible to say with the shadowed pic above. you're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    myspace is a website where people use irritating shadows and image effects for no apparent reason. you can blur your face if you want, thats not what I'm talking about.
    Pardon my ignorance but I have not used myspace and I was unfamiliar with your intended message. I guess this explanation gives me a better perspective on what you really meant. I don't know what you mean by image effect, but this was just done with a single flash located from above instead of a flash directly from the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    my post is very constructive because the way the other photo is presented makes it useless as a basis of comparison.. which is what you want by posting here, correct? if thats the case, use practical photos that can allow one to evaluate the picture for its intended purpose. its obvious youve made a lot of progress since your original shot posted in 2006.. but the extent to which is impossible to say with the shadowed pic above. you're welcome
    I am not being sarcastic, it makes sense to have a photo which is taken in a similar fashion as the first photo to do a comparason. However, if you feel defensive then I would like to re-iterate that I appreciate your input; although it may not have been aparent, it was constructive.

I've attached another photo because the link I put up did not seem to show a photo on my other computer, this one is taken with a cell phone infront of a mirror like the first photo in 06.
    Last edited by bear_rawr; 12-21-2009 at 06:15 AM.

gotcha, sorry. i thought you were being sarcastic.

but yeah, you've definitely put on some decent mass. your shoulders & torso have filled out a bit making you look not nearly as skinny. not sure what your goals are, but with some careful dieting you can keep on gaining while staying reasonably lean. are you trying to stay in a specific weight range for muay thai?